Scrimmage - Huntingdon @ Covington - 8/4/23

CHARGERFAN

7 minutes ago, Croppygenius said:

Looking forward to a very competitive scrimmage. Mustangs bringing back a bunch of starters off a pretty good team last season. Our defense looked good against Westview last week so it should be interesting.

What should Covington fans expect to see on offense from the Mustangs? Everybody knows that the Chargers are gonna depend heavily on our run game. Running back Skylan Smith (#9) is our guy to watch. 

2 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

What should Covington fans expect to see on offense from the Mustangs? Everybody knows that the Chargers are gonna depend heavily on our run game. Running back Skylan Smith (#9) is our guy to watch. 

Mustangs always going to run the ball first.  Our offense is built around controlling the ball and wearing the defense down in the 4th quarter. Have lots of running back depth led be Hutcherson and Warbritton. 

17 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Well how did it go??

Here’s the final:

Covington varsity 5

Huntingdon varsity 1

Covington JV 1

Huntinghon JV 0

The Mustangs got the first possession at their 30, and scored in 6 or 8 plays, including 3 for 3 passing. I thought “ It’s gonna be a long day for the Charger D”.

Covington drove the ball well and scored on their possession, to tie the game.

Evidently, Coach Kirby got in the ears of the Covington defense, because although the Mustangs moved the ball well at times, they never got past the Covington 30 the rest of the game. 

I was struck by how many problems Huntingdon had from center. Their center (#74) is huge, and looks the part. But, I saw 2 shotgun snaps that were over the QB’s head, plus 3 or 4 snaps where the QB went under center and the ball ended up on the ground. Those are drive killers. 

Covington QB Gover had a good night throwing the ball (2 TD’s, including one about 65 yards where the receiver got totally behind the D). The Chargers used stellar RB Skylan Smith sparingly. He did catch a TD pass. Fullback (#7) Azarion Smith piled up lots of yards up the middle including a 30 or 35 yd TD run. He appears to be the “surprise” running back that Kirby often springs on folks. A couple of years ago it was a fullback named Flowers.

I’m pretty happy with the Charger O at this point. The D will need to improve to go very far in the region and the playoffs, but it shows potential.

I’ll be interested to see how Huntingdon does the rest of the year.

On 8/4/2023 at 9:28 PM, CHARGERFAN said:

Here’s the final:

Covington varsity 5

Huntingdon varsity 1

Covington JV 1

Huntinghon JV 0

The Mustangs got the first possession at their 30, and scored in 6 or 8 plays, including 3 for 3 passing. I thought “ It’s gonna be a long day for the Charger D”.

Covington drove the ball well and scored on their possession, to tie the game.

Evidently, Coach Kirby got in the ears of the Covington defense, because although the Mustangs moved the ball well at times, they never got past the Covington 30 the rest of the game. 

I was struck by how many problems Huntingdon had from center. Their center (#74) is huge, and looks the part. But, I saw 2 shotgun snaps that were over the QB’s head, plus 3 or 4 snaps where the QB went under center and the ball ended up on the ground. Those are drive killers. 

Covington QB Gover had a good night throwing the ball (2 TD’s, including one about 65 yards where the receiver got totally behind the D). The Chargers used stellar RB Skylan Smith sparingly. He did catch a TD pass. Fullback (#7) Azarion Smith piled up lots of yards up the middle including a 30 or 35 yd TD run. He appears to be the “surprise” running back that Kirby often springs on folks. A couple of years ago it was a fullback named Flowers.

I’m pretty happy with the Charger O at this point. The D will need to improve to go very far in the region and the playoffs, but it shows potential.

I’ll be interested to see how Huntingdon does the rest of the year.

Thought the Chargers defense played well especially  the defensive line. Big #99 gave us fits inside. It takes a very strong defensive line to beat the Mustangs and ya'll did a great job. Thought the Mustang defense played the run pretty well but our pass defense as usual sucked. Chargers are a good looking team.