Betsy @ SH

lawnman

10 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

Science Hill should go ahead and invest heavily in Shawn Witten. Their going nowhere with the staff they have. Witten would build a Maryville like program in three years. There's a lot of talent in Johnson City year in and year out. 

How many years did Shawn have to invest to get past a third round game?  Wasn’t it 15 -17 years?  I do think hands down Betsy has the best coaching staff in our area.  I feel like our usual people on coach talked about how Carter would turn around SH years ago and overall from where it was when he first showed up, he has.  Usually have a winning record, usually beating DB every year, SH got what they wanted.  That being said, SH, as well as DB, can’t and sorry to say won’t, ever get past Maryville.  That also being said, Witten never got past Alcoa until they switched from 3A TO 4A.  3A is locked down by Aloca, 5a Knox West, 6a Maryville.  The 4A schools in our area are the most successful, but also their road blocks also aren’t as rough as what 6a has to deal with.

‘’that being said, no excuses, SH and DB were my picks last night and I was surprised at both those games.  Plenty of talent, are those kids who are play makers even still going to SH and DB or are they going elsewhere now?

10 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

Science Hill should go ahead and invest heavily in Shawn Witten. Their going nowhere with the staff they have. Witten would build a Maryville like program in three years. There's a lot of talent in Johnson City year in and year out. 

Obviously, but highly unlikely. I'm guessing it would take a pile of money to move Witten, and even then, he may not be interested in leaving his hometown. It will take several years, but if they have upgraded their youth league the way my friend who works for Parks & Rec says they have, it will pay off. No more dads coaching their sons for a couple of years and moving on.

Difference in coaching was night and day. With the offense SH wants to run, do they have another option at QB? The Swartz kid is a good athlete, but has minimal arm strength at best. They need to have him out wide in space.  Plus you could tell Betsy strength program is 10x better. 

44 minutes ago, JDHoss said:

Seriously? He started coaching there in 2007 and was in the 4th round in season 3. 

I stand corrected.  I’ve been so used to Region 1 vs 2 alcoa Maryville Knox west Anderson the past few years I had forgotten they used to be region 3.

It looks like…..3 years they made it to the 4th round but got stuck on Alcoa and CAK.  Man that’s been such a long time ago.  THey got to round 4 with a pretty good team and met a very good alcoa team, although one year I remember they played them really close.  My point still stands tho, it took a lot of years to get over that hump and in SH case they still deal with Maryville and for Betsy, them Greeneville and lately Anderson feel like are the hurdles to deal with in 4A.

9 minutes ago, formerblazer said:

I stand corrected.  I’ve been so used to Region 1 vs 2 alcoa Maryville Knox west Anderson the past few years I had forgotten they used to be region 3.

It looks like…..3 years they made it to the 4th round but got stuck on Alcoa and CAK.  Man that’s been such a long time ago.  THey got to round 4 with a pretty good team and met a very good alcoa team, although one year I remember they played them really close.  My point still stands tho, it took a lot of years to get over that hump and in SH case they still deal with Maryville and for Betsy, them Greeneville and lately Anderson feel like are the hurdles to deal with in 4A.

Shawn and his coaching staff always gets the best out of there players and there was years he didn’t have a lot of talent but still had great seasons.I have never understood how a school as big as SH can’t get more out of that football program.That play calling last night for SH had me scratching my head but what do I know.

20 minutes ago, lawnman said:

Shawn and his coaching staff always gets the best out of there players and there was years he didn’t have a lot of talent but still had great seasons.I have never understood how a school as big as SH can’t get more out of that football program.That play calling last night for SH had me scratching my head but what do I know.

You just answered your own question with that last sentence. 

1 hour ago, JDHoss said:

Obviously, but highly unlikely. I'm guessing it would take a pile of money to move Witten, and even then, he may not be interested in leaving his hometown. It will take several years, but if they have upgraded their youth league the way my friend who works for Parks & Rec says they have, it will pay off. No more dads coaching their sons for a couple of years and moving on.

Witten applied for the head coaching job at DB when Clark retired. The word is they passed him over for consideration because he wanted to bring one or two coaches from Betsy with him. I believe the truth is that Clark picked his replacement from the get-go and all the interviews were just for show. And that shows that in Kingsport it's not about winning or the kids or the fans. It's all about keeping the "Good Ole' Boy Network" in power. The football program will never be anything more than it is right now today. Somewhat average. 

2 hours ago, JDHoss said:

His hometown is Washington DC he didn't come to Elizabethton until age 12