Betsy @ SH

lawnman

1 hour ago, lawnman said:

Shawn and his coaching staff always gets the best out of there players and there was years he didn’t have a lot of talent but still had great seasons.I have never understood how a school as big as SH can’t get more out of that football program.That play calling last night for SH had me scratching my head but what do I know.

Best coaching staff in the area hands down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WaCoJaCo said:

You're being too technical. Age 12 ?  

Yes Waco I wouldn't have known either until I watched Jason Witten ESPN E:60, it's a good piece and it explains the reason why the Witten Brothers made the move to Elizabethton, until I watched that I always thought Shawn, Jason and the other brother was born and raised in Betsy

9 minutes ago, StarBright87 said:

Yes Waco I wouldn't have known either until I watched Jason Witten ESPN E:60, it's a good piece and it explains the reason why the Witten Brothers made the move to Elizabethton, until I watched that I always thought Shawn, Jason and the other brother was born and raised in Betsy

They were raised by a great family and they will tell you Dave Rider was there father.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, lawnman said:

They were raised by a great family and they will tell you Dave Rider was there father.

I was a relatively a young Coach in Greeneville and thought Dave Rider a great coach. He and our head coach, Fred Sorrells were very dear friends. Another indicator of the birds of the feather theory,

10 minutes ago, noonesfool said:

I was a relatively a young Coach in Greeneville and thought Dave Rider a great coach. He and our head coach, Fred Sorrells were very dear friends. Another indicator of the birds of the feather theory,

I remember those days and Fred Sorrells seemed to be a great coach.

21 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

Science Hill should go ahead and invest heavily in Shawn Witten. Their going nowhere with the staff they have. Witten would build a Maryville like program in three years. There's a lot of talent in Johnson City year in and year out. 

No doubt he has the coaching credentials. But at Betsy, he has a booster program second to none and that pipeline of talent being trained from grass cutters all the way through junior high. By the time they get to their freshman season, they know the plays, the terminology, how to prepare and study opponents, strength and conditioning year round and how to prepare for a 15 game season. The whole community is behind them. They travel well. Usually, they turn the away games into home games with the crowd size and those annoying cowbells! These are the things that a DB or a Science Hill need to do better to compete. You only have to look at EHS, Greeneville, Alcoa and Maryville to see the formula. Copy. Paste. Repeat! Can Coach Witt do it there if the community isn’t behind the team? There’s really NO WAY a 6A school should even let a 4A school be in the game. Yet, here we are again.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, BigDaddyDave said:

No doubt he has the coaching credentials. But at Betsy, he has a booster program second to none and that pipeline of talent being trained from grass cutters all the way through junior high. By the time they get to their freshman season, they know the plays, the terminology, how to prepare and study opponents, strength and conditioning year round and how to prepare for a 15 game season. The whole community is behind them. They travel well. Usually, they turn the away games into home games with the crowd size and those annoying cowbells! These are the things that a DB or a Science Hill need to do better to compete. You only have to look at EHS, Greeneville, Alcoa and Maryville to see the formula. Copy. Paste. Repeat! Can Coach Witt do it there if the community isn’t behind the team? There’s really NO WAY a 6A school should even let a 4A school be in the game. Yet, here we are again.

Well said Dave and that crowd last night was crazy.Coach isn’t going anywhere right now and did you see TA Dugger Thursday night.

2 hours ago, BigDaddyDave said:

Putting all that effort into a booster program is a waste of time. Here's how you build a successful program. You build a nice big field house. Then you add a big mega-tron scoreboard. And you make sure it's the biggest one around. Then to follow all that up you install fancy stadium lights that change color. I live in Kingsport. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, WaCoJaCo said:

Putting all that effort into a booster program is a waste of time. Here's how you build a successful program. You build a nice big field house. Then you add a big mega-tron scoreboard. And you make sure it's the biggest one around. Then to follow all that up you install fancy stadium lights that change color. I live in Kingsport. 

Lol

25 minutes ago, WaCoJaCo said:

I thought you had to get a 7300 member band? 

• Like 1