No shot clock

Indian

On 8/17/2023 at 8:54 AM, DevilettesCoach said:

At the BCAT Girls Hoopfest in Lebanon we taught 20+ players how to properly run the shot clock in about 15 minutes. We had less than a handful of issues over the course of 3 days and around 100 games. As far as instalation and cost as the article stated was around $6000. I would think the BCAT and/or TSSAA could negotiate a deal with a company to provide the whole state with shot clocks at a reduced cost.  Rather than not discuss it for 3 years give schools a 3 year phase in process to absorb the cost over a period of time. This would also be split at almost all schools by the boys and girls basketball programs instead of one program like footall. I also think some school systems could/would add it within their budget if they knew when it would be implemented. That would be a drop in the bucket for most school systems. In my opinion the sWhortage of officials has no bearing on whether shot clocks should be implemented or not. Some may hang up the whistle for that reason, but officials get out of it or move up to the collegiate/professional ranks for various reasons and the shot clock shouldnt be singled out as the reason officials would leave the profession. It may also entice others to actually join an association in their area if they see that it aligns along the same lines as they games they watch on television. The game continues to evolve and the shot clock has benefits for all levels of skill, athleticsm, player IQ, and coaching strategy.

Watched one game where the clock wasn't reset properly 3 times. Clock is not needed for HS as most teams can't even hold it for 30 seconds . And 6k is very low end for cost, as I have heard more likely about 15k.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/14/2023 at 6:21 PM, Indian said:

The results of the survey taken by schools that utilized the shot clock at summer camp in basketball were provided to the Board. The Board voted to not implement a shot clock in basketball and that it would not entertain further discussion on the subject for at least the next three years.

So slower games for the next three yrars... Teams shouldn't play keep away either. 

On 11/10/2023 at 10:46 AM, maddams said:

Saw Cleveland this summer.  They should be good but their path is really tough.  Their section includes Bradley, Cookeville, Lebanon, Blackman and Oakland.  Bradley will be at the state tournament - they're probably the best team in the state in all classes.  Cleveland could be the other school but I liked Cookeville this summer.  Lebanon has a high ceiling as well.

On 8/15/2023 at 10:25 AM, jvaughan said:

A basketball shot clock is very different than a football play clock. A play clock in football is 100% necessary because the game clock runs but the ball isn't live so the team on defense can not do anything to force the team on offense to snap the ball. Totally the opposite of basketball where the game clocks runs and the ball is live so the team on defense can force action out of the offense.

Not if all the offense does is pass the ball back and forth for 2-3 minutes at a time