List Private game time changes due to heat

highschoolfbfan777

8 hours ago, ReitzFan said:

25000 might be just a bit outrageous though

Something has to be done to get everyone’s attention!  This is happening every year and it needs to be stopped.  IMO, this is where those idiots on Lebanon Road in Hermitage, TN (TSSAA) need to take a stance and force the schools to sign contracts that say if you back out of a contract the fine is substantially more than they are today.  Believe me when I say that if the fine were 25K, Harding would have played the game.  Using simple math:  if it cost $10.00 per person to gain admission to a high school football game and you have 1500 paid attendance that is an immediate loss of 15K not counting the concessions.  The average person spends $5.00 at the concession stand.  The concession stand loss would be $7500.00 for a total loss of $22,500.00.  Let’s not forget that these public schools must not only support the football team but help support all of the other sports teams at the school.

Edited by cbg

17 minutes ago, cbg said:

Something has to be done to get everyone’s attention!  This is happening every year and it needs to be stopped.  IMO, this is where those idiots on Lebanon Road in Hermitage, TN (TSSAA) need to take a stance and force the schools to sign contracts that say if you back out of a contract the fine is substantially more than they are today.  Believe me when I say that if the fine were 25K, Harding would have played the game.  Using simple math:  if it cost $10.00 per person to gain admission to a high school football game and you have 1500 paid attendance that is an immediate loss of 15K not counting the concessions.  The average person spends $5.00 at the concession stand.  The concession stand loss would be $7500.00 for a total loss of $22,500.00.  Let’s not forget that these public schools must not only support the football team but help support all of the other sports teams at the school.

just because they gross $22,500 doesn't mean they net anywhere close to that.  cost of goods sold, employee cost, etc. eat into a lot of that.  

3 hours ago, theawesomebro said:

just because they gross $22,500 doesn't mean they net anywhere close to that.  cost of goods sold, employee cost, etc. eat into a lot of that.  

Just like a legal case you should recoup more than just the cost of what you would financially lose!  It’s really very simple, if you don’t want to write a check for 25K+ then don’t sign the contract or if you do don’t cancel the game.  I have absolutely no issues with people canceling games but it’s far more than the monetary cost as you also have to look at the team that had the game canceled.  That school, players, band members, cheerleaders, parents and coaches were denied the opportunity to do what they love to do and that is participate in the high school football game atmosphere.  I am very much aware of the fact that schools in Tennessee don’t require anywhere close to 25K for someone that backs out of a contract.  What I have stated on other threads is that as an entrepreneur I am most cognizant of the cost of doing business and not fulfilling a contract.  If I were a high school or college athletic director I would write the contract so that if you made a conscious decision to not fulfill your end of a contract it would severely damage your checkbook.  We are not talking about a school that had a bus wreck on the way to the game or the head coach passed away the day before the game.  In closing I would not only require a contract with a minimum of $25K cancellation fee but I would also include a clause that “ALL” legal fees would be paid by the school that canceled the contract and the case would be heard in the county with which my school is located!  Oh and yes before you say it I am a stickler for the rules and considered by many to be a hard a**.  However, I am really easy to work with as long as everyone does what they say they are going to do and doesn’t try to skirt the rules.  

3 hours ago, cbg said:

Something has to be done to get everyone’s attention!  This is happening every year and it needs to be stopped.  IMO, this is where those idiots on Lebanon Road in Hermitage, TN (TSSAA) need to take a stance and force the schools to sign contracts that say if you back out of a contract the fine is substantially more than they are today.  Believe me when I say that if the fine were 25K, Harding would have played the game.  Using simple math:  if it cost $10.00 per person to gain admission to a high school football game and you have 1500 paid attendance that is an immediate loss of 15K not counting the concessions.  The average person spends $5.00 at the concession stand.  The concession stand loss would be $7500.00 for a total loss of $22,500.00.  Let’s not forget that these public schools must not only support the football team but help support all of the other sports teams at the 

both publics and privates have played the cancel game. Covid really accelerated the issue sadly

I didn't find this out until last night. Players cannot be outside to practice if the heat index is 105 and higher. However, they can be outside to play a game if the heat index is 105 and higher. Needless to say, teams didn't have to push back their start times to 7:30/8 PM locally to accommodate the heat. However, they elected to do so, which is fine.

Since there is no "rule" regarding to heat index for games/competitions, Harding Academy should 100% be able to pay a fine to West Carroll for cancelling that game. The players that play football for West Carroll are the victims here. The 2024 return game should be in Atwood, and not on Park Avenue in Memphis. 

However, as what @ReitzFan said, Covid played a role in increasing cancellations. How many games in 2021 was cancelled due to "covid"? In reality, one team didn't want to travel just to get beat by 30+, so they were able to use the covid excuse to get out of the game with no penalty.

Edited by TryNotToSuck
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

I didn't find this out until last night. Players cannot be outside to practice if the heat index is 105 and higher. However, they can be outside to play a game if the heat index is 105 and higher. Needless to say, teams didn't have to push back their start times to 7:30/8 PM locally to accommodate the heat. However, they elected to do so, which is fine.

Since there is no "rule" regarding to heat index for games/competitions, Harding Academy should 100% be able to pay a fine to West Carroll for cancelling that game. The players that play football for West Carroll are the victims here. The 2024 return game should be in Atwood, and not on Park Avenue in Memphis. 

However, as what @ReitzFan said, Covid played a role in increasing cancellations. How many games in 2021 was cancelled due to "covid"? In reality, one team didn't want to travel just to get beat by 30+, so they were able to use the covid excuse to get out of the game with no penalty.

The actual rule is no practice or game with a heat index of 104 degrees or more. I wo t hold it against you this time.

While I personally don't  like a team forfeiting a game, it is impossible to argue against it  if a school says they forfeit to protect their athletes and fans. It's  just not a good look to do so. I do agree with you that Harding Academy should travel to West Carroll next season as a make good. That is how it was handled during covid. As it turned out  you should have been able to play Saturday night.  After a short storm blew through Jackson, the temperature was lower. The good news is that we will have much more comfortable conditions to play under during week 3. Letpray the weather of this past week is done for the year.

18 hours ago, cbg said:

Just like a legal case you should recoup more than just the cost of what you would financially lose!  It’s really very simple, if you don’t want to write a check for 25K+ then don’t sign the contract or if you do don’t cancel the game.  I have absolutely no issues with people canceling games but it’s far more than the monetary cost as you also have to look at the team that had the game canceled.  That school, players, band members, cheerleaders, parents and coaches were denied the opportunity to do what they love to do and that is participate in the high school football game atmosphere.  I am very much aware of the fact that schools in Tennessee don’t require anywhere close to 25K for someone that backs out of a contract.  What I have stated on other threads is that as an entrepreneur I am most cognizant of the cost of doing business and not fulfilling a contract.  If I were a high school or college athletic director I would write the contract so that if you made a conscious decision to not fulfill your end of a contract it would severely damage your checkbook.  We are not talking about a school that had a bus wreck on the way to the game or the head coach passed away the day before the game.  In closing I would not only require a contract with a minimum of $25K cancellation fee but I would also include a clause that “ALL” legal fees would be paid by the school that canceled the contract and the case would be heard in the county with which my school is located!  Oh and yes before you say it I am a stickler for the rules and considered by many to be a hard a**.  However, I am really easy to work with as long as everyone does what they say they are going to do and doesn’t try to skirt the rules.  

I understand your points but I think the outcome of such over sized punitive contracts would be no one takes a risk on their schedule.  

i'm an entrepreneur, too but schools are businesses and trying to run them like one won't always work well.  if you were an AD, no one would ever talk to you about scheduling a game.

On 8/27/2023 at 7:50 AM, theawesomebro said:

I understand your points but I think the outcome of such over sized punitive contracts would be no one takes a risk on their schedule.  

i'm an entrepreneur, too but schools are businesses and trying to run them like one won't always work well.  if you were an AD, no one would ever talk to you about scheduling a game.

It would be fine with me if people decided they didn't want to schedule us!  The ones that did place us on the schedule would be treated more that fairly and we would all keep our end of the contract!  It's really a sad state of affairs when you have to have strict contracts for a high school football game, but the issue is not me, it's that people don't keep their word and can't be trusted. 

30 minutes ago, cbg said:

It would be fine with me if people decided they didn't want to schedule us!  The ones that did place us on the schedule would be treated more that fairly and we would all keep our end of the contract!  It's really a sad state of affairs when you have to have strict contracts for a high school football game, but the issue is not me, it's that people don't keep their word and can't be trusted. 

interesting. 

I guess i don't think it's that big of a problem and LA has had more teams cancel on them than almost anyone.  we just find someone else.