Cyclones at Grainger

BigDaddyDave

7 hours ago, formerblazer said:

This will be last years game, what was it Grainger ran the clock as much as they could with runs and then Betsy just did a slow burning drive with TD?  Betsy doesn't run up the score but if you give up 70 in the first half, that's all on you.  Fair is fair.

I do think on some of these conference games that TSSAA should just go ahead and do a running clock now as soon as it hits 30 up, no matter the quarter.

In 2020 I watched Betsy steamroll most teams in the first half, and then bring the starters out for the first series of the second half, just to get them used to that transition from half to half so they would be ready for those games later on in the playoffs that actually require 4 quarters of play. I do believe teams that “call off the dogs” after the half or early to mid 2nd quarter are doing their players a disservice. When you need to play a 4 quarter game and are not used to it, it can come back to bite you. It’s a delicate balance and really depends on the age and experience of the team and timing of their more challenging games. And I’m sure everyone on here has their own opinion on this. It’s just mine.

On 8/30/2023 at 11:42 AM, KEV-O said:

You sounds like a participation trophy type a fella. You're supposed to rise to the occasion not lower your standards to appease babies like you. If you wanna watch low scoring boring games watch soccer. 

When your team plays in 3 straight state championships. Maybe they will do it your way.

15 hours ago, BigDaddyDave said:

In 2020 I watched Betsy steamroll most teams in the first half, and then bring the starters out for the first series of the second half, just to get them used to that transition from half to half so they would be ready for those games later on in the playoffs that actually require 4 quarters of play. I do believe teams that “call off the dogs” after the half or early to mid 2nd quarter are doing their players a disservice. When you need to play a 4 quarter game and are not used to it, it can come back to bite you. It’s a delicate balance and really depends on the age and experience of the team and timing of their more challenging games. And I’m sure everyone on here has their own opinion on this. It’s just mine.

Don't get me wrong, I am in agreement.  As the quote goes, coaches can only coach their 11 on the field (Jimmy Johnson paraphrase).  I have zero problem with the first half and if we really want to go into it, I don't have a problem with the 2nd half being more of the same because those starters have to get used to 4 quarters.  All I know is this, more and more we have more games where in the first half we have games where it is almost immediately teams getting up by 30 points.  I won't say call the dogs off, but man let's just go ahead and get the clock running.  It's ridiculous to just let a team get 70 put up on them in the first half and also painfully obvious that there is absolutely nothing some of these teams can do to even begin to compete, especially with a Greeneville or Elizabethton.  They play teams that have zero chance of beating their 1's, heck I'd go as far as to say I bet Greeneville and Betsy have had years where their 2's could win 80% of their games.  Get the clock running.