Maryville State Champs Again

Guest biggunz

My cousins go to Cumberland County, two of them at the moment. One played football his 8th grade year for awhile for Homestead. He would have started, but he was a little lazy so he quit. Cumberland County is in a new region this year and did not play William Blount or Heritage, who are in region 2 5A. Cumberland County is in region 3 5A. I was wrong CCHS does not play McMinn County, they play a McMinnville school, and don't play McMinn County until the playoffs. Look it up on the TSSAA website, I did! However, back to my story. I also have two cousins that graduated from CCHS not long ago, one two years ago and another three. My oldest cousin played for the Jets from 97-2000. He watched Maryville play Hillsboro and he said that those two teams were two of the best two high school teams he'd ever seen. He said both were fast teams and big teams. He was amazed by Maryville's discipline and their big play capability. Hillsboro's size brought out comments from him. He played against Riverdale his junior year and they would have won the game had it not been for a strange onside kick that hit a CCHS player in the back of the helment. Three of my cousins know a lot about their football team and how big they are and how they lack speed, but all three told me that Maryville could take Cumberland County, and I myself don't have any doubts that they wouldn't. Sure this might sound cocky, but I've seen Maryville, Riverdale, William Blount, Hillsboro, Brentwood, Heritage, Cumberland County, Soddy Daisy, and Ootlewah and I think Maryville could atleast hang with all of them.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by STARSNBARS:

Well they sure didn't have too many problems when they scrimmaged 5-A teams this year. In the pre-season they beat a tough Soddy-Daisy team 3-1. The next week they beat Oak Ridge 6-1. And their last scrimmage against D-B, played in a game like setting was 27-12. Maryville lead 27-0 at halftime and did not play any starters in the second half. Go Rebs.

Scrimmage and a game are way different. 10 weeks of 5A competition would wear them down.

Wearing down goes both ways, especially when you are 2-platoon as we are and dress about 85+ players. I'm not saying it would be easier, but just that this year we could play with anyone and all those 5-A teams we scrimmaged will tell you the same. I would also say all the 5-A teams that Hillsboro scrimmaged would tell you the same thing too. Hillsboro was ranked #1 in middle Tennessee, by the Tennessean, in any classification before the finals and ended up second. Maryville ended up second in Sonny Moore's computer poll which rates all teams public and private together. They finished up behind only MBA and ahead of every 5-A team. We'll be 5-A in 2005 and we'll see what happens on the field then. Go Rebs.

[Edited by STARSNBARS on 12-18-02 10:51P]

keg55! Maryville can compete with any team in the state of Tennessee.ANY TEAM!!!! 4A football in East Tennessee is a lot better than 5A. South Doyle never made the playoffs when they were in 4A. They were never close. They move to 5A and make the playoffs.

Yes! Those 5A Powerhouses in East Tennessee like Campbell County,Bearden,Farragut,William Blount,Heritage,Karns and South Doyle scare Maryville to death.ROTFLMAO. I hope Maryville moves to 5A. As long as George Quarles is at MHS the Rebels will be able to compete with anyone.

Teams in Blount County

Alcoa is a 2A school 3-7 this season. But! Usually a state title contender. Won the 2A title 2 seasons ago. Had 8 freshmen starters.

Heritage is a 5A school. 0-10 this year. Ever since Danny Wilson has left they have gone downhill fast. Blount County Schools don't take care of their football coaches. They have had a bunch of coaches the last several years. There are athletes in that school but they don't want to play football.

William Blount is a 5A school. 6-6 this season. They have a better coaching staff than Heritage does. They have some pretty good talent on the field. I know several kids who go there that could be good football players but don't want to play.

George Quarles has just completed his 4th season at Maryville. He took over for Tim Hammontree after the 15-0 state title 98 season. 98 team had over 30 seniors. Most people thought MHS would be lucky to be 6-4 in 1999. Quarles led them to a 10-3 record.Made the semifinals before losing to Knox Central 29-20. Most teams would go in the tank after losing 30 plus seniors and losing their head coach. Quarles record at MHS is 50-8.

99. 10-3

2000. 11-4 State Champs

2001.14-1 State Champs

2002. 15-0 State Champs

Team has a 26 game win streak.

Terrible coaching,Blount County Schools have the good ole boy network and let their buddies coach who are not qualified to be good coaches. County schools are too tight to spend money on good coaches. Heritage's school administration cares more about girls basketball and the band than they do the football team. This is what Heritage fans tell me.

When Heritage had Earl McMahan and Jack Renfroe coaching they were tough. There is talent at that school. Look what they have to draw from. Walland was a state power in 1A,Porter was a good football team,Everett was tough,Townsend wasn't too bad, There has always been good athletes in the city of Rockford.