DB vs Asheville (NC) ?

DBKPT93

3 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

Thats easy for you to say..... and I kinda' see your point. But seems like that ended about 10-15 years ago. I don't really see anybody hyping up DB's chances of winning a state championship or even advancing past the third round. That used to be the norm but I think everybody knows what to expect now. We just need something to brag about and as long as we have that great band we're good. 

You're not alone, I do not see a single NET 5A/6A team making it out of the first round this year.  Hope I'm wrong and only time will tell.

On 9/15/2023 at 8:14 PM, WaCoJaCo said:

Asheville leads at halftime 16-13. They look like an average team. DB looks like they're struggling to stay on the field with them. Maupin didn't last long. Amazing the coaches thought he was ready to take over. Looked completely lost out there. Some really stupid play calling at the end of the first half. I think Asheville has had only one incomplete pass. 

Gib didn’t look lost out there. He played 6 plays. 4 was a running play one was a bad snap not his fault and the other was as the incomplete pass the receiver didn’t catch. Give the kid another chance.

9 hours ago, Jduggie said:

Gib didn’t look lost out there. He played 6 plays. 4 was a running play one was a bad snap not his fault and the other was as the incomplete pass the receiver didn’t catch. Give the kid another chance.

6 plays, 3 running plays, 1 pass downfield that was overthrown, one pass on the line of scrimmage to a receiver that was covered, and the ball was knocked down, and one fumble on a fake handoff. Not putting all the blame on Maupin though. Coaches should have had him better prepared. Plus, they should have put him back in on that last possession of the game. The way they did it didn't do much to help his confidence. He needs game experience. 

2 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

6 plays, 3 running plays, 1 pass downfield that was overthrown, one pass on the line of scrimmage to a receiver that was covered, and the ball was knocked down, and one fumble on a fake handoff. Not putting all the blame on Maupin though. Coaches should have had him better prepared. Plus, they should have put him back in on that last possession of the game. The way they did it didn't do much to help his confidence. He needs game experience. 

Sounds like they are screwing him over at DB like they did at Elizabethton 

1 hour ago, Jduggie said:

Sounds like they are screwing him over at DB like they did at Elizabethton 

or maybe just maybe its not every school he has attended screwing him over... maybe it is something else.

I am close with a few of the families with kids on the team and have heard some things that would lead me to believe your statement isn't very accurate. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DBKPT93 said:

or maybe just maybe its not every school he has attended screwing him over... maybe it is something else.

I am close with a few of the families with kids on the team and have heard some things that would lead me to believe your statement isn't very accurate. 

Elizabethton doesn't have a good ole boy system. I can understand complaints about only DB(or really only one school), but any time I see complaints about two different schools... cmon. 

3 minutes ago, ElizabethtonCyclonesRock said:

Elizabethton doesn't have a good ole boy system. I can understand complaints about only DB(or really only one school), but any time I see complaints about two different schools... cmon. 

They should be able to get him in the game most of the second half Friday night. Let's wait and see how he does. He threw two passes. One was downfield to #21 and overthrown by a couple yards. Would have been a TD.  If he had hit on that one, we wouldn't be having this conversation. 

1 hour ago, ElizabethtonCyclonesRock said:

Elizabethton dosnt have a good ole boy system? What Elizabethton are you living in?

46 minutes ago, ElizabethtonCyclonesRock said:

The one that won multiple state championships. You don't win state with a good ole boy system. End of story.

And how many kids came from Hampton cloudland happy valley Unaka to win those? There’s always been a good ole boy system in elizabethton. Aka people with the money not to mention any names 

1 hour ago, Jduggie said:

And how many kids came from Hampton cloudland happy valley Unaka to win those? There’s always been a good ole boy system in elizabethton. Aka people with the money not to mention any names 

Generally maybe 1 or 2 at any point will leave the county to come to EHS but they get more exposure which allows them more chances to play in college. I'm not sure you grasp the concept of the good ol boy system. Examples would be West Ridge, Science Hill, Boone, DB, Crockett. What's the one thing they do that elizabethton doesn't? They keep the same coaching staff after multiple bad seasons with no clear signs of improvement. The good ol boy system died when they brought Witten in and actually gave him control of the program from bottom to top. Other schools could do well to take notes.