What's going on in Sweetwater with the coach suspension.

BarneySox2007

1 hour ago, Swipes said:

Here is the problem I see and this is not a shot at Sweetwater but goes for any program.  You hire a coach to lead your program so let him lead your program. (I don't care who the man plays or if someone else that the admin or fans think is better) If he runs it into the ground in one year then fire his tail but don't suspend a coach in the middle of a season because he wasn't playing the Admin or Fans favorite of who they think should be the QB.  You are going to have no head coach wanting to coach at a program that has done what Sweetwater has just done.  Administration is for hiring and not Coaching, Fans are for enjoyment of the game and cheering on the team not coaching.  The head football coach is who gets to decide who starts and who doesn't, it's as simple as that.

I understand, but I don’t know who to blame. The hiring process, the pay or the fans. All I know is, as a coach you are supposed to put your best kids on the field every Friday night.  We are now doing just that.  

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Highlights said:

If anyone saw the both of them play. You would understand, as a fan, why the freshman should start over the sophomore.  This is about putting the best players on the field and giving them a chance to win.  Sweetwater did not have a chance to win with Slover as the QB

So if it doesn’t workout with the freshman then what next? The safe bet is run, run, run. The question is why is the freshman the only option at this point? Teams in that situation go run heavy & use what they got. If you got 4 guys & that’s including #5 who all can carry the ball, get old school & play smash mouth. Sweetwater has a pretty good line. Honestly what is actually working for them to move the ball. The running game. Safe bet

1 hour ago, Highlights said:

I understand, but I don’t know who to blame. The hiring process, the pay or the fans. All I know is, as a coach you are supposed to put your best kids on the field every Friday night.  We are now doing just that.  

The Administration is who to blame after what i just read on 5starpreps.  The administration let a few influential parents sway things about playing time  and what position kids should be in.  Slover had an open door policy to parents but would Not let anyone/anything outside the program that is not there everyday at practice to sway what he felt like was best for the program.  I wouldn't touch any program that the administration is spineless and let parents run the show and not the head coach whether that be Sweetwater or any other program 

Terrible actions by the AD and Administration to railroad a coach over playing time. I applaud Coach Slover for putting out the statement and defending himself and his actions regarding his core values on playing time and the way he makes those decisions. I wish him the best and hope that he lands somewhere with a program that values his experience and his coaching values. The world is too soft. Earn your spot, don't get mommy and daddy to go fight for you!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, gcapride said:

Terrible actions by the AD and Administration to railroad a coach over playing time. I applaud Coach Slover for putting out the statement and defending himself and his actions regarding his core values on playing time and the way he makes those decisions. I wish him the best and hope that he lands somewhere with a program that values his experience and his coaching values. The world is too soft. Earn your spot, don't get mommy and daddy to go fight for you!

I feel like he could be a good fit right down the road at Lenoir City.  I know Zeller is the interim coach for the year but knowing Z I don't think he wants all that responsibility and time needed to put in to be HC anymore.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Highlights said:

the fact that you came on here to share this opinion only cements for me that you are a part of the problem and that the admin of the school have fostered a toxic environment.  The AD's quotes reaffirm that.  Good luck finding a coach worth his salt.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6