Haywood County @ Hardin County

Tigersandcats

11 hours ago, stacmot said:

Congratulations @Tigersandcats, you’ve inspired me to make my first post of the 2023 regular season.

I hope I’m wrong, but I’m not sure Haywood’s defense has grown that much since the Obion game.  I just don’t think Maplewood (0-7 averaging 11.7 ppg) and Trezevant (1-5 averaging 9 ppg) are reliable indicators of that.  Hardin Co. (7-0 averaging 37.9 ppg) will give us a much stronger test and a more reliable indication of the amount of growth.

To be honest, I believe Haywood’s defense will have trouble with Hardin County’s passing and rushing games.  That said, I believe Hardin Co. will win this game. However, if Haywood's defense steps up and the Tiger defense has trouble with Haywood’s rushing game, it could become a toss up.

Haywood does have a good coaching staff and a good group of kids.  They’re motivated and they work hard, but the Tomcats are young.  There are only two senior starters on the team.

This will be the 30th meeting between the Tomcats and Tigers.  Haywood leads the series 24-5.  Haywood is averaging 40.4 ppg while allowing 24.6 ppg.  Hardin Co. is averaging 37.9 ppg while allowing 12.6 ppg. Haywood’s opponents have a 14-31 record.  Hardin County’s opponents have a 18-29 record. 

The Cats and the Tigers have played 2 common opponents.  Haywood defeated Pure Youth Alliance 28-21 while the Tigers defeated Pure 21-14.  Haywood defeated Memphis Business Academy 46-26 while the Tigers defeated the Executives 48-12.

As for the history of the rivalry, open the following link
https://ghsfha.org/w/Special:THSFHS/school/records/Hardin_County

Click on records underneath the title Hardin County Tigers, then click opposing programs. Scroll down the list until you get to Haywood.  Then click the arrow to the left of the name Haywood.  You should get a list giving you the date, location, and score for all the games between Haywood Co./Haywood and Savannah Central/Hardin Co.

Good luck to both teams, and I'm praying for safe travels and an injury free game.

I over looked the part about only having two senior starters. That is probably the reason they’ve sputtered a little compared to the past several seasons. Nothing like the experience of a senior heavy team. My mind when thinking of Haywood is how dominant they’ve been for several years now in the west. Then I think may be a team that could maybe be below the bar they have set and yet still be the best 4-A team in our area. For the Tigers I do believe IMO this is a better team than last years. Two very capable RB’s that can catch passes, 4 WR’s that are reliable and a good TE with good hands as well.  QB that is processing and getting the ball out much quicker so O line doesn’t have to hold up quite as long. Throwing a lot less uncatchable balls. On D the interior line is good, backers doing a good job but our secondary has give up some explosive plays for touchdowns earlier in the year but have improved on that. But still think other than maybe Giles county the Tomcats will be the best overall team we see in regular season. The Tigers got their work cut out for them Friday night to get a win. Can’t let the tomcat s put no 40 plus on the board an expect to win. 

12 hours ago, stacmot said:

Congratulations @Tigersandcats, you’ve inspired me to make my first post of the 2023 regular season.

I hope I’m wrong, but I’m not sure Haywood’s defense has grown that much since the Obion game.  I just don’t think Maplewood (0-7 averaging 11.7 ppg) and Trezevant (1-5 averaging 9 ppg) are reliable indicators of that.  Hardin Co. (7-0 averaging 37.9 ppg) will give us a much stronger test and a more reliable indication of the amount of growth.

To be honest, I believe Haywood’s defense will have trouble with Hardin County’s passing and rushing games.  That said, I believe Hardin Co. will win this game. However, if Haywood's defense steps up and the Tiger defense has trouble with Haywood’s rushing game, it could become a toss up.

Haywood does have a good coaching staff and a good group of kids.  They’re motivated and they work hard, but the Tomcats are young.  There are only two senior starters on the team.

This will be the 30th meeting between the Tomcats and Tigers.  Haywood leads the series 24-5.  Haywood is averaging 40.4 ppg while allowing 24.6 ppg.  Hardin Co. is averaging 37.9 ppg while allowing 12.6 ppg. Haywood’s opponents have a 14-31 record.  Hardin County’s opponents have a 18-29 record. 

The Cats and the Tigers have played 2 common opponents.  Haywood defeated Pure Youth Alliance 28-21 while the Tigers defeated Pure 21-14.  Haywood defeated Memphis Business Academy 46-26 while the Tigers defeated the Executives 48-12.

As for the history of the rivalry, open the following link
https://ghsfha.org/w/Special:THSFHS/school/records/Hardin_County

Click on records underneath the title Hardin County Tigers, then click opposing programs. Scroll down the list until you get to Haywood.  Then click the arrow to the left of the name Haywood.  You should get a list giving you the date, location, and score for all the games between Haywood Co./Haywood and Savannah Central/Hardin Co.

Good luck to both teams, and I'm praying for safe travels and an injury free game.

I did not realize the Tomcats are that young! Good news for the Tomcats, bad news for everyone next year! 

10 hours ago, Tigersandcats said:

I over looked the part about only having two senior starters. That is probably the reason they’ve sputtered a little compared to the past several seasons. Nothing like the experience of a senior heavy team. My mind when thinking of Haywood is how dominant they’ve been for several years now in the west. Then I think may be a team that could maybe be below the bar they have set and yet still be the best 4-A team in our area. For the Tigers I do believe IMO this is a better team than last years. Two very capable RB’s that can catch passes, 4 WR’s that are reliable and a good TE with good hands as well.  QB that is processing and getting the ball out much quicker so O line doesn’t have to hold up quite as long. Throwing a lot less uncatchable balls. On D the interior line is good, backers doing a good job but our secondary has give up some explosive plays for touchdowns earlier in the year but have improved on that. But still think other than maybe Giles county the Tomcats will be the best overall team we see in regular season. The Tigers got their work cut out for them Friday night to get a win. Can’t let the tomcat s put no 40 plus on the board an expect to win. 

It’s no use crying over spilled milk, but when this game was first announced, I was hoping to see Cordero Walker and Carter Smith battle it out.  Unfortunately, Cordero transferred to Germantown and another outstanding Tomcat got himself in trouble.  Even though it’s not the battle I was hoping for.  It should be a good game...

That said, I still think the Tigers will win it.  Hardin County’s age and experience will be a big advantage.  The Tigers also have the advantage of a very balanced offense, and we can't overlook the offensive and defensive gains you mentioned.

Haywood’s rushing game has been fairly impressive, but the Cats are going to have to show improvement in the passing game to make it effective.  I also have concerns about Haywood’s pass defense.  I hope we can handle Hardin County’s ominous air attack!

9 hours ago, stacmot said:

It’s no use crying over spilled milk, but when this game was first announced, I was hoping to see Cordero Walker and Carter Smith battle it out.  Unfortunately, Cordero transferred to Germantown and another outstanding Tomcat got himself in trouble.  Even though it’s not the battle I was hoping for.  It should be a good game...

That said, I still think the Tigers will win it.  Hardin County’s age and experience will be a big advantage.  The Tigers also have the advantage of a very balanced offense, and we can't overlook the offensive and defensive gains you mentioned.

Haywood’s rushing game has been fairly impressive, but the Cats are going to have to show improvement in the passing game to make it effective.  I also have concerns about Haywood’s pass defense.  I hope we can handle Hardin County’s ominous air attack!

Definitely a big loss with Mr. walker transferring out. Coaches I’m sure have to devise a whole new game plan for the team and figure their best option for the QB position. But the other situation with one getting into trouble is worse. Hate to hear those kind of stories .

9 hours ago, stacmot said:

So much doubt