Huntland @ Moore Co……..Week 8

RaiderzFan

9 hours ago, Southtowner said:

What's the historical backdrop/story behind this rivarly? 

Any Hatfield & McCoy type stuff?

Johnny Majors!!  Copied from a old news article 

“The genesis of the MCHS-Huntland rivalry.” It was a rivalry between Moore County High in Lynchburg and Huntland that began in 1949 when Majors and Rogers were freshmen at Moore County.

Huntland hadn’t had a football team in over 20 years and hired Shirley Majors, John’s dad, in the summer of 1949 to be its coach and build the program. Shirley, who had previously coached at Moore County for three years, left his family in Lynchburg and commuted back and forth to Huntland, a 22-mile drive, during the season.

When the two teams met that year, the Huntland Hornets led by two touchdowns in the fourth quarter.  A desperate Moore County coach replaced his senior tailback with freshman tailback (John Majors). What happened was shocking!

Majors scored on three spectacular runs on the Raiders’ next three possessions to lift Moore County to the victory.

“It was evident a superstar was born,” wrote Rogers, who didn’t play because of a broken leg he suffered before the start of the season, but he watched the game from the sidelines.

On the other side of the field, an upset Shirley Majors was heard to say, “This will be the last time a son of mine beats me.” And he moved his entire family to Huntland the next summer.

“This upset the diehard MCHS supporters, since the Majors family had been Moore County residents for generations,” wrote Rogers in his column. “Many considered Shirley Majors a traitor to his hometown and county.”

Edited by BBRaider

57 minutes ago, BBRaider said:

“The genesis of the MCHS-Huntland rivalry.” It was a rivalry between Moore County High in Lynchburg and Huntland that began in 1949 when Majors and Rogers were freshmen at Moore County.

Huntland hadn’t had a football team in over 20 years and hired Shirley Majors, John’s dad, in the summer of 1949 to be its coach and build the program. Shirley, who had previously coached at Moore County for three years, left his family in Lynchburg and commuted back and forth to Huntland, a 22-mile drive, during the season.

When the two teams met that year, the Huntland Hornets led by two touchdowns in the fourth quarter.  A desperate Moore County coach replaced his senior tailback with freshman tailback (John Majors). What happened was shocking!

Majors scored on three spectacular runs on the Raiders’ next three possessions to lift Moore County to the victory.

“It was evident a superstar was born,” wrote Rogers, who didn’t play because of a broken leg he suffered before the start of the season, but he watched the game from the sidelines.

On the other side of the field, an upset Shirley Majors was heard to say, “This will be the last time a son of mine beats me.” And he moved his entire family to Huntland the next summer.

“This upset the diehard MCHS supporters, since the Majors family had been Moore County residents for generations,” wrote Rogers in his column. “Many considered Shirley Majors a traitor to his hometown and county.”

Great article!!! I just know we don’t like each other no matter what the sport is being played.. And throw out ALL records it’s always gonna be very entertaining game ….. GO RAIDERS!!

1 hour ago, BBRaider said:

My Mother was born and raised in the Franklin County area.  Winchester Spgs to be exact.  She is cousins with Phillip Fulmer. So, I know a lil bit about the feud. 

I believe Fulmer & Majors buried their hatchet a few years back.

Anyways,  I wanted to see if any of yall over there still remember.  

Edited by Southtowner
Go Pirates