Science Hill visits Dobyns-Bennett

BarneySox2007

10 minutes ago, WaCoJaCo said:

Our weakness is standing on the sideline wearing a ball cap a pair of shorts. Good guy, good line coach, but he's just not head coach material. Offensive play calling is middle school level. We've got about 5 more years of this before they figure out it ain't working. Thats how it's done in Kingsport. 

Who calls the plays for DB? HC? OC? Who is the OC?

1 hour ago, WaCoJaCo said:

Our weakness is standing on the sideline wearing a ball cap and a pair of shorts. Good guy, good line coach, but he's just not head coach material. Offensive play calling is middle school level. We've got about 5 more years of this before they figure out it ain't working. Thats how it's done in Kingsport. 

Serious question but who is the DB OC? Didn't you all bring this guy in from the Chattanooga area? I ask because your offense just seems odd, I don't think DB runs a play that doesn't have some sort of motion tag on it. I was watching the YouTube stream and even the DB announcers were talking about DB doing motion pretty much every play and SH wasn't even reacting to it. Seems like there's a lot of eye candy there for nothing.

8 hours ago, KPTwrestlingfan said:

Serious question but who is the DB OC? Didn't you all bring this guy in from the Chattanooga area? I ask because your offense just seems odd, I don't think DB runs a play that doesn't have some sort of motion tag on it. I was watching the YouTube stream and even the DB announcers were talking about DB doing motion pretty much every play and SH wasn't even reacting to it. Seems like there's a lot of eye candy there for nothing.

Chris Thacker. Came from Morristown West. They over complicate things. Causes mistakes and confusion. This goes back to the Clark days. He handpicked Christian to be his successor, so I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't pick Thacker. I also wouldn't be surprised if Clark has a hand in some of the play calling from up in the press box. I think I remember Christian saying he would be leaning on him for advice down the road. Seems like DB teams still have that Clark stench to them. Lots of penalties, can't put 4 quarters together (or even 3) offence is to complicated, and you can always count on a bone head play call at a crucial time. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WaCoJaCo said:

Chris Thacker. Came from Morristown West. They over complicate things. Causes mistakes and confusion. This goes back to the Clark days. He handpicked Christian to be his successor, so I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't pick Thacker. I also wouldn't be surprised if Clark has a hand in some of the play calling from up in the press box. I think I remember Christian saying he would be leaning on him for advice down the road. Seems like DB teams still have that Clark stench to them. Lots of penalties, can't put 4 quarters together (or even 3) offence is to complicated, and you can always count on a bone head play call at a crucial time. 

That offense doesn’t look anything like the Mo West of old offense

11 hours ago, TriCitiesRebels said:

Possible, Coach Carter was emotional after the game tonight. Makes you wonder if there is already a deal in place with one of the athletic directors who was in attendance tonight. They had to be impressed with what they saw 

Impressed?  Really?  Late in the game up 21-14 and Science Hill was running the ball well with #3 and #6 down deep in DB territory and could have put the game away. DB could not stop the run.  The golden child switched QB and RB and snap over the head then followed up with the INT that gave DB life. Yeah. Very impressive.  

The little fat ref was about as bad of a high school official as I have ever seen. He bailed signs heel out on the the defensive PI that lead to a TD.  No way live or replay that was defensive pass interference.  It should have been called in offense. And then late in the game he was on top of the signs heel pass interference against db and was not going to throw his flag until the guy on the other side threw the flag. He might have had scouts from the sun belt looking to make him an offer as well. 

Edited by maroonandgrey

I watched on YouTube ESPN Tri Cities and one thing that struck me was there seemed to be a lack of speed on both sides of the ball for DB. It showed on defense as they could not cover receivers at time (and yes the PI that led to the Science Hill TD was bad, maybe should have even been called as an offensive PI on the receiver, but more likely just a no call). On offense, the play calling on the overtime possession I wondered about. Running the quarterback wide on first down? I know it worked for the TD earlier, but the Hilltoppers were ready for that, and then a throw into the end zone and a run on 3rd and goal at the 10?  Hilltopper running backs gashed the Indians and chewed up clock too, just lucky with that high snap or Science Hill might have cashed in there and it would have been over. then in the OT, the Hilltoppers easily scored. I also agreed wth the announcers that the Hilltoppers won the battle up front on both sides of the ball. Really feel for the Indians going to Bearden, having seen the Bulldogs live, they don't play linemen both ways and can run and throw the ball. 

7 minutes ago, Cactus Jack said:

I watched on YouTube ESPN Tri Cities and one thing that struck me was there seemed to be a lack of speed on both sides of the ball for DB. It showed on defense as they could not cover receivers at time (and yes the PI that led to the Science Hill TD was bad, maybe should have even been called as an offensive PI on the receiver, but more likely just a no call). On offense, the play calling on the overtime possession I wondered about. Running the quarterback wide on first down? I know it worked for the TD earlier, but the Hilltoppers were ready for that, and then a throw into the end zone and a run on 3rd and goal at the 10?  Hilltopper running backs gashed the Indians and chewed up clock too, just lucky with that high snap or Science Hill might have cashed in there and it would have been over. then in the OT, the Hilltoppers easily scored. I also agreed wth the announcers that the Hilltoppers won the battle up front on both sides of the ball. Really feel for the Indians going to Bearden, having seen the Bulldogs live, they don't play linemen both ways and can run and throw the ball. 

This is pretty much the same thing I saw. For a school as large as D-B and to have the athletes they have, they look slow on offense and defense. Their RB looked especially slow. Even the ESPN Tri-Cities guys made a few comments about it.

SH dominated on both sides of the ball for pretty much the entire game. The Indians don’t seem to have much of anything on offense. SH should’ve and probably could’ve run the ball all night if they’d wanted to. The Indians couldn’t stop Emile or Necessary. I’m really impressed with Emile. He’s gotten better as the season has gone on. Taylor had has worst game by far last night. He wasn’t playing well. Carter and co obviously noticed it and let Necessary and Emile take over at the end. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, maroonandgrey said:

Impressed?  Really?  Late in the game up 21-14 and Science Hill was running the ball well with #3 and #6 down deep in DB territory and could have put the game away. DB could not stop the run.  The golden child switched QB and RB and snap over the head then followed up with the INT that gave DB life. Yeah. Very impressive.  

I'm pretty sure that guy was just joking around. Because nobody is that stupid. 

3 minutes ago, WBNC83 said:

This is pretty much the same thing I saw. For a school as large as D-B and to have the athletes they have, they look slow on offense and defense. Their RB looked especially slow. Even the ESPN Tri-Cities guys made a few comments about it.

SH dominated on both sides of the ball for pretty much the entire game. The Indians don’t seem to have much of anything on offense. SH should’ve and probably could’ve run the ball all night if they’d wanted to. The Indians couldn’t stop Emile or Necessary. I’m really impressed with Emile. He’s gotten better as the season has gone on. Taylor had has worst game by far last night. He wasn’t playing well. Carter and co obviously noticed it and let Necessary and Emile take over at the end. 

Science Hill year in and year out has better athletes than DB. This year DB has about 5 or 6 good players with the rest about average or less. Might have to go all the way back to about 2008 to find a weaker DB team. The QB Sykes is good, but it took the coaching staff over halfway into the season to give him a shot. You're right, running backs are slow. Not much speed anywhere on the team. Sykes is just a step away from having good enough speed to break it. Science Hill and DB should be in a bidding war right now for Shawn Witten. But it will never happen. They're just not that smart. 

27 minutes ago, 1OldPatriot said:

The last 3 or 4 years have been some of the least athletic DB teams I have seen. Sci Hill has several kids that can run

They had a good group in 2020 but not much right before then and haven't had anything since. They still haven't figured out that you have to build your athletes starting with the little leagues. If you just sit around and wait for a good bunch to show up, then you'll have a good team about every 10 years. Ask Shawn Witten........auh, never mind. 

Edited by WaCoJaCo
  • Like 1