Lipscomb Academy

BelmontRebel

When you try to win at all cost you get burned. The powers that be at Lipscomb got sold a bill of goods by Dilfer. The University has no football program. They were going to make Lipscomb a household name by making their high school football program a national "power". They all bought into it - college all the way down to the lower school.

If anyone thinks this is just football they are mistaken. All of their other sports have exponentially "grown" with transfers and strange enrollments. Dilfer did not care one bit about rules. He openly was calling kids from other schools and talking to them after 7 on 7 games.

This is similar to what Hugh Freeze did at Briarcrest but much more obvious. Freeze did a good job of covering his tracks and he kept it to girls basketball and football (the two things he coached). 

I bet this all stems from the two Mississippi kids. They got caught (Lipscomb) with their living arrangements and those kids probably sniffed it out and then bailed. Then I bet they narked on them and squealed like pigs about what happened when the TSSAA came calling. The stupid thing is they were already on probation. What idiots.

I bet you this is Kevin Mawae's last game at Lipscomb tonight. Easy bet. Bet he has already called his real estate agent. 

Edited by JohnJacob
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, JohnJacob said:

When you try to win at all cost you get burned. The powers that be at Lipscomb got sold a bill of goods by Dilfer. The University has no football program. They were going to make Lipscomb a household name by making their high school football program a national "power". They all bought into it - college all the way down to the lower school.

If anyone thinks this is just football they are mistaken. All of their other sports have exponentially "grown" with transfers and strange enrollments. Dilfer did not care one bit about rules. He openly was calling kids from other schools and talking to them after 7 on 7 games.

This is similar to what Hugh Freeze did at Briarcrest but much more obvious. Freeze did a good job of covering his tracks and he kept it to girls basketball and football (the two things he coached). 

I bet this all stems from the two Mississippi kids. They got caught (Lipscomb) with their living arrangements and those kids probably sniffed it out and then bailed. Then I bet they narked on them and squealed like pigs about what happened when the TSSAA came calling. The stupid thing is they were already on probation. What idiots.

I bet you this is Kevin Mawae's last game at Lipscomb tonight. Easy bet. Bet he has already called his real estate agent. 

From what a college buddy of mine told me at the Lipscomb vs Baylor game a lot what you said is true. The QB from Mississippi situation was a huge red flag. He was living in an apartment not far from campus and his family was still in Mississippi. 

there is a lot on here and I dont really know what to say.  to the haters, enjoy.  being a hater says more about you than those you are hating on.

to those asking actual questions...

- regarding this year, the whole deuce debacle has been well documented.  i think we will forfeit the briarcrest game.  nothing else.

- I do not think this is so much about dilfer tenure.  the infraction was between an assistant and a parent of I believe an 8th grader and if i am correct, that kid is at a different school.  this isn't the first drama surrounding this family and I bet it wont be the last.  best of luck to them.

- there are no other games or gold balls in question as far as i know so don't get too excited.  as I said, the kid was in 8th grade.

I am really disappointed in the post season ban.  lots of good kids will miss a chance to play some games that might have been meaningful to them.  ultimately, this is on the coaches.  very disappointed in them.  

as has been pointed out, except for the deuce thing, I am not sure this is any different from most schools.  they are all bringing in players from other schools.  we were just too blatant or dumb and got caught.  sucks to be us.  

• Thanks 1

Pretty funny reply.

So you were on probation already.....Which means that's two "strikes" before the hammer goes down. And you commit another violation. So you are toast. That's the way the world works. I don't care if the kid was in 5th grade, 8th grade, or 10th grade. There was a violation. Y'all got caught.

And then you admit that there was an issue with the "deuce debacle". So that's two violations AFTER YOU WERE PLACED ON PROBATION. When you are placed on probation by the TSSAA you better be squeaky clean. 

As far as the kids missing out on playing in the post season, they knew what they were getting into -all of them. They are not stupid. They know that Lipscomb was horrid for years and presto they suddenly had kids coming from all over the country and other schools in Nashville in August every year to play to football.

So does Mawae get fired? You said it was "on the coaches".

Too blatant and dumb? Wow. I would love to have you on a witness stand in a court case if I were a lawyer. Maybe stop while you are ahead.   

I can already see the Lipscomb defense - "everybody does it". Here we go.

Edited by JohnJacob

31 minutes ago, Chattanoogachoochoo said:

From what a college buddy of mine told me at the Lipscomb vs Baylor game a lot what you said is true. The QB from Mississippi situation was a huge red flag. He was living in an apartment not far from campus and his family was still in Mississippi. 

Ingle Martin's father has the notorious reputation around them Nashville parts of filming practices from the upcoming competition.  No one across the state would be surprised if he was on the case filming the 2 players from Mississippi after practice to put footage together that they didn't move to Nashville with their "family unit" as the TSSAA rule book states.   

The article indicates they will appeal.  With NIL in high school now I find just about any of this as hardly relevant anymore.

It looks like 2 players that went to play with recruits they met on the recruiting circuit, from a 2 win team in Mississippi, had the opportunity to play in 2 national games and in one of the supposed hardest regions in the country went to Nashville to better their collegiate opportunities.  During the process got caught in some technicalities about "family unit."  How many of our Baylor and McCallie students in Chattanooga are living with their family unit?  Quite frankly, I'd rather TSSAA not try to govern family situations just like they don't in boarding schools.

Let's be for kids bettering their opportunities with hard work, taking risks and reaping the reward.  We need more of that in America these days.  On to the post season and chasing gold balls!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FBfan26 said:

Say what you wanna say, it made Tennessee football exciting to me. Especially watching Lipscomb playing against the top teams from other states.  This is what I have been asking of the top teams in Tennessee to do every once in a while. Also I know the University of Tennessee fans are not complaining!

Trent Dilfer was horrible for TN high school football.   He is everything what is wrong with it.    

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, ChuckDSanAntonio said:

Ingle Martin's father has the notorious reputation around them Nashville parts of filming practices from the upcoming competition.  No one across the state would be surprised if he was on the case filming the 2 players from Mississippi after practice to put footage together that they didn't move to Nashville with their "family unit" as the TSSAA rule book states.   

Why would you blatantly put something so stupid out there? This is about Lipscomb, but apparently CPA is still living rent free in your head.  Do you know Ingle’s dad? My guess is you are really talking about his father in law who is notoriously known as the best athlete to grow up in Nashville…

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, theawesomebro said:

there is a lot on here and I dont really know what to say.  to the haters, enjoy.  being a hater says more about you than those you are hating on.

to those asking actual questions...

- regarding this year, the whole deuce debacle has been well documented.  i think we will forfeit the briarcrest game.  nothing else.

- I do not think this is so much about dilfer tenure.  the infraction was between an assistant and a parent of I believe an 8th grader and if i am correct, that kid is at a different school.  this isn't the first drama surrounding this family and I bet it wont be the last.  best of luck to them.

- there are no other games or gold balls in question as far as i know so don't get too excited.  as I said, the kid was in 8th grade.

I am really disappointed in the post season ban.  lots of good kids will miss a chance to play some games that might have been meaningful to them.  ultimately, this is on the coaches.  very disappointed in them.  

as has been pointed out, except for the deuce thing, I am not sure this is any different from most schools.  they are all bringing in players from other schools.  we were just too blatant or dumb and got caught.  sucks to be us.  

I feel bad for a true fan like you and the kids. Keep your chin up, it will be over before you know it. In reality, probably best that it started immediately so that you’re not looking at two more years after this year. 

Just now, BreadTruck28 said:

I feel bad for a true fan like you and the kids. Keep your chin up, it will be over before you know it. In reality, probably best that it started immediately so that you’re not looking at two more years after this year. 

thanks for the kind reply.  maybe ill run into you at a baseball game this year.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, JohnJacob said:

Pretty funny reply.

So you were on probation already.....Which means that's two "strikes" before the hammer goes down. And you commit another violation. So you are toast. That's the way the world works. I don't care if the kid was in 5th grade, 8th grade, or 10th grade. There was a violation. Y'all got caught.

And then you admit that there was an issue with the "deuce debacle". So that's two violations AFTER YOU WERE PLACED ON PROBATION. When you are placed on probation by the TSSAA you better be squeaky clean. 

As far as the kids missing out on playing in the post season, they knew what they were getting into -all of them. They are not stupid. They know that Lipscomb was horrid for years and presto they suddenly had kids coming from all over the country and other schools in Nashville in August every year to play to football.

So does Mawae get fired? You said it was "on the coaches".

Too blatant and dumb? Wow. I would love to have you on a witness stand in a court case if I were a lawyer. Maybe stop while you are ahead.   

I can already see the Lipscomb defense - "everybody does it". Here we go.

I was trying to be honest about the situation as i understand it and have a constructive conversation.  you are clearly not capable of either.  

From what I gathered today from an old retired coach that I called from that area in Williamson county who is in touch with lots of folks was this:  TSSAA and the media have been aware of problems for some time but kept hands off because Dilfer was so high profile and so powerful with ESPN and other national media.  He was bringing so much attention and revenue to high school football in Tn they were actually afraid of him so they chose to turn their heads.  As soon as he was gone they decided to go after what they knew had been going on for 4 years. Unfortunately this staff didn’t cover their tracks as well nor did they pose a threat to the media or others in high places. Mawae seems to have been a victim of a monster already in place by parents and assistant coaches.  My buddy says he is a good guy. When they came to Chatt for first time he was not nearly as arrogant as Dilfer on the side lines.  

Edited by Chattanoogachoochoo