TSSAA 3A Mr Football Semi-Finalists

CHARGERFAN

Here are the semi-finalists for Mr. Football in 3A

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/high-school/2023/11/02/tssaa-mr-football-semifinalists-named-2023-tennessee-high-school-football-award/71420792007/

CLASS 3A

Kalen Edwards, Dyersburg

Radarious Jackson, Sheffield

Skylan Smith, Covington

Whittman Whaley, Gatlinburg-Pittman

Brandon Winton, Jr., Alcoa

Edited by CHARGERFAN

The Daily Memphian has this info on the two local candidates: 

https://dailymemphian.com/section/sportshigh-school-sports/article/39590/tennessee-titans-memphis-mr-football-semifinalists-2023

Two players were also named in Class 3A. Running back Skylan Smith led Covington to an 8-2 season and led the area in rushing, with 1,703 yards. The junior had 27 touchdowns on the ground and added four more receiving and two on kickoff returns and will look to add to his totals against visiting Hamilton on Friday.

Radarious Jackson, meanwhile, has done a little bit of everything for Sheffield, which hosts Ripley at Kirby Friday. The junior caught 30 passes for 682 yards and 13 touchdowns, ran 51 times for 629 yards with eight scores and completed 11 of 17 passes for 302 yards and seven TDs. If that wasn’t enough, Jackson picked off eight passes — taking three to the house — and scored once on a punt return.

Edited by CHARGERFAN

8 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Here are the semi-finalists for Mr. Football in 3A

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/high-school/2023/11/02/tssaa-mr-football-semifinalists-named-2023-tennessee-high-school-football-award/71420792007/

CLASS 3A

Kalen Edwards, Dyersburg

Radarious Jackson, Sheffield

Skylan Smith, Covington

Whittman Whaley, Gatlinburg-Pittman

Brandon Winton, Jr., Alcoa

Its a shame these teams don’t play each other. I wonder how Smith would do against Edwards from Dburg. Oh wait….

• Thanks 1

I get that it’s the Daily Memphian, but Varlas couldn’t reference Edwards? Dyersburg isn’t that far and he’s in a Region with one of the players included in the article. The media has known well in advance about who would be named today and I assure you that Dyersburg would’ve been more than accommodating in regards to any stats or bio.

3 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Its a shame these teams don’t play each other. I wonder how Smith would do against Edwards from Dburg. Oh wait….

I don’t have the individual numbers in front of me but can say that Dyersburg’s defense held Covington to 56 rushing yards (-2 rushing in the second half) and zero points for the game.

55 minutes ago, tennesseeannouncer said:

I get that it’s the Daily Memphian, but Varlas couldn’t reference Edwards? Dyersburg isn’t that far and he’s in a Region with one of the players included in the article. The media has known well in advance about who would be named today and I assure you that Dyersburg would’ve been more than accommodating in regards to any stats or bio.

Well, it’s a fairly recent development that Memphis media considers our Tipton County schools as “local”. I think that corresponded to Munford /Atoka becoming a significant bedroom community for Memphis. The Daily Memphian publishes weekly stats for local players. They have been tracking these two guys in their stats all year.  

I assume that if you ask John Varlas directly, he’s going to tell you that Dyersburg is not in their “area”. It’s what newspapers do. I quit my on-line subscription to the Jackson Sun because they don’t consider Covington as a “local” school to them. They pick some list of top ten or top twelve football teams, but they ignore Tipton County schools just like they ignore Memphis. 

You can discuss directly with John Varlas if you find his e-mail online. I just posted what the paper had. Don’t shoot the messenger.

Edited by CHARGERFAN

20 minutes ago, PurplePeopleEater said:

Imagine being a 55+ year old male who would rather degrade 16 year old kids than discuss the pretty significant accomplishment that West TN specifically held the majority of finalists for class 3A. Dyersburg has always been a respectable program in West Tennessee; I assumed public figures such as the voice of the Trojans or choir director would carry that same respect that Dyersburg football has earned through the years. 

It’s public record. Anyone can watch the film. Covington lost to Dyersburg 9/1/23.  Hats off to the team and coaches for the stellar adjusts and 2nd half play. I don’t recall seeing excuses, reasons why Covington lost, or anything of that nature. I believe to be true that the team and coaches owned it and went back to work. That being said, that does not change the facts, regardless how hard you would like to spin it.

In fact, it’s really a compliment to Skylan Smith to remind the media that in fact he did earn every single one of those yards and touchdowns in 9 games if your argument is in fact, “but but but look what he did week 2” (if you would rather start at week 1 instead of week 0 we can call it week 3 for the sake of argument)

If you think talking stats is degrading a kid you need to get your tighty whities out of a bunch.  There are multiple threads on these boards talking about mr. Football candidates in all classes and they are all talking about stats and how kids did heads up. Hats of to the Covington kid and all the semi finalists. But no one degraded anyone no matter how you want to spin it. 

Oh and you may know who I am but you make yourself look silly by calling the other poster the voice of the Trojans. Your way off but nice try. Lol. 

Here is my disclaimer:

I don’t know who any of you posters are on this board, aside from @stacmot, who I do know, and @ManOfMillions, who I have met. 

I personally try to speak to other posters the way that I would like to be spoken to. It’s called “The Golden Rule”. 

Because of my own upbringing, I will not be snarky or cut somebody down. Sometimes it’s hard not to jump in with both feet, but I’m gonna zip my lip.