Quarterfinal - Covington @ Dyersburg

CHARGERFAN

So, after a long season and two rounds of the playoffs, Covington will visit Dyersburg again. I know that when the Covington coaches and players came home after being shut out at Dyersburg 24-0 in week three, they were embarrassed and feeling pretty low. We fans were too. Dyersburg fielded a very good team, but I think most Covington folks felt that we just didn’t compete like Covington has always competed. Maybe it was just due to better talent for the Trojans. 

That is what the upcoming Quarterfinal game will determine. Are the Trojans truly just a better team this year than the Chargers?  Can the Chargers use the confidence we developed while winning 9 in a row to step up against what is apparently the best talent in Region 7-3A? 

It’s like the old serials they used to run at the movies. “Tune in NEXT WEEK folks for the thrilling end to this saga”.

What’s the word out there on this one, folks?

1 hour ago, TrickyD said:

We have two teams going in opposite direction on offense Dyersburg getting worse Covington getting better 

The Covington rushing attack is built around Mr. Football semi-finalist Skylan Smith, who is at 2006 yards rushing for the season after last night’s Ripley game. Dyersburg stopped Skylan effectively in the previous game. What’s been added in the backfield is Skylan’s freshman Brother Jaheim. He was not getting any significant playing time until game 8. Jaheim may be faster than his older brother. He is averaging 9 yards per carry and gained 118 yards last night versus Ripley. 

51 minutes ago, Dp81 said:

I'm going to say that Covington will get this win! The Trojans will see a different team, most focused and determined!! I'll even stick my neck out and say that the Chargers will win by at least 10. 

Go Chargers!

Covington will be a 10 point favor with the bookies. 

Dyersburg’s offense played the worst game of the season against Westview last night, complete 180 degree direction of how they executed the previous week.  Dyersburg’s defense played well, but had lapses, not seen in the previous meeting with Westview.

If Dyersburg gets it together this week and be focused, then Trojans win by 14.

Edited by mg

Well this is the quarterfinal rubber match between these two. Third year in a row they will meet in the quarterfinals with each winning 1 apiece. The teams have been trending in the opposite directions as of late in my opinion. Dburg has been winning and have looked good on defense, but offensively have kind of struggled lately. QB 1 being out is definitely noticeable although the kid that's in now is giving his all. Although I haven't saw Covington since the first Dburg game, everything I hear and read shows that they have figured some things out. I'm a little surprised that this thread is as quiet as it has been so far. I'm sure it will pick up steam as the week goes on. 

I really can’t predict the outcome of this game. I have seen every game that Covington has played this season, and I do see improvement on both sides of the ball since our loss to Dyersburg. I have not see Dyersburg play since then, so I can’t assess how much they have been hurt by injuries. 

So, I have gone to three outside sources to check their predictions.

Massey predicts

Covington 34

Dyersburg 28

Cal-Preps predicts

Dyersburg 28

Covington 26

and the Sonny-Moore Power Rankings are

Covington 131

Dyersburg 120

To get a point spread, the difference is 11 points, but Dyersburg gets 2 points for home field advantage, putting the point spread at Covington by 9.

I personally think this game is a toss-up. It may be decided by turnovers and penalties, as close games often are.