No video cameras in Blue Cross Bowl?

my2sons

I see absolutely NO reason why the TSSAA should not allow video cameras for the championhship games. Even though they will make videos of the games available for sale at a later date, game tapes need to be going out NOW to college coaches for any college prospects. Will their tape show the seniors being introduced on the field? Probably not. Did we have time to go to our cars to get our cameras after the game to show coaches talking to the players in the locker room? No. I cannot imagine anyone not buying the TSSAA video tape because it should be professionally done, unlike home videos. The TSSAA has bigger fish to fry than this. Shame on them for this incredibly stupid, selfish rule.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only one reason for this rule. The TSSAA is in the business of making money. I don't mean to beat a dead horse but when you come to one of their showcase events like this weekend, you see their primary focus, turn a profit, and don't worry about who suffers in the process. And yes, I agree, it is a stupid, stupid rule.

Your son's coaches will have a copy of the video very soon. It is their responsibility to prepare videos for scouts and if you son is being recruited he will contact the head coach and request copies of the game(s). Highlight videos are almost of no value for colleges, they like to receive complete game videos. As for the rule against video camcorders, this is normal for these types of championship games.

Ela...It`s still a dumb rule. This is high school. It`s not the Super Bowl. If my son`s team made it to the championship, and if he never got to see the field, I`d still want to at least get to film him on the sidelines. I`d want to film the memories that I want. I`d still buy the TSSAA copy for a good professional tape of the game, but there`s nothing wrong with taking my own memories from the game. The TSSAA needs to back off that rule. Besides, anyone who wants can just tape the game off TV.

Volunteer General... I completely understand what you are saying but I also understand this is the policy of every major bowl game in the country. Other schools are not EVER allowed to video tape games they are not a part of and almost every head coach in the state is at these games. It is just easier to stop anyone from video taping than to try to qualify who video tapes as they pass through the gates. The policy will not be changed and it is a standing policy. When your son or daughter makes it to the state championship game (football, basketball, etc.) you simply can't video tape this game. You can take still pictures and that is great for most people. These rules are put into place for two reasons... to prevent people from filming certain aspects of the game for a school's use (i.e. scouting the sidelines of one's opponents) or to create another way to raise money by selling the "official copy." through the TSSAA's authorized representative. Both of these are very valid reasons because the TSSAA OWNS the rights to these games.

I 100% disagree! The TSSAA is an organization that SHOULD put the interests of the kids first. When they finally remember that, then many of their current problems will cease to exist. This is to showcase the athletes, not the coaches, administrators or the bigwigs of the TSSAA.

The great majority of the senior kids who played on Friday and Saturday just played their final football game. It doesn't matter to me if every organization in the country follows the same archaic rule, that doesn't mean it's right. It's just more greed on the part of the TSSAA and everyone knows that, there is no other reason for the rule..period!

I guess I can just see both sides of this issue. I have been associated with several events and organizations over the past twenty plus years that dealt with matters like this... i.e. large venues that had special rules regarding use of video camcorders. I see their concerns and I recognize they have the legal right to legislate the rules of the event. As a parent, I also understand the desires of parents to record a personal record of the events. I just can't see how the TSSAA can meet the fans half way on this one issue? I'm sorry guys but we will have to agree to disagree on this issue!

I have never liked you as much as I like you now Mean! It's too bad that ethical and intelligent arguments fall upon deaf ears.

Posted by meanjean:

I 100% disagree! The TSSAA is an organization that SHOULD put the interests of the kids first. When they finally remember that, then many of their current problems will cease to exist. This is to showcase the athletes, not the coaches, administrators or the bigwigs of the TSSAA.

The great majority of the senior kids who played on Friday and Saturday just played their final football game. It doesn't matter to me if every organization in the country follows the same archaic rule, that doesn't mean it's right. It's just more greed on the part of the TSSAA and everyone knows that, there is no other reason for the rule..period!

• 2 weeks later...

ELA, back on 12/8 you posted a message on this thread that stated the TSSAA would make available a copy of the championship game tape "very soon" to the high school coaches who coached in these games. Well, they haven't done it yet, and my son's coach has been somewhat frustrated in his attempts to get one. I heard the coaches were to get a copy of the tape the Tuesday after the Blue Cross Bowl. My son has been fortunate enough to get some interest from college recruiters, and this may have been his best game ever. A copy of this tape would be very helpful, as decisions on kids are being made now. If I can't video this game on my own, the TSSAA needs to get this tape to the coaches NOW. What could possibly be the holdup?