Where does DCA go?

Playerscoach

On 1/18/2024 at 3:43 PM, CougarDadx2 said:

Y'all better get to hiring sumbody - almost time to start 7v7

BTW I don’t think many coaches care about 7 v 7. When you have a trophy case full of gold and silver balls it’s about making the right choice for the future. DCA had a 3,000 yard passer last year and did almost nothing in 7 v 7. 

I would think the coach will be in place before the end of the month? I really like the group they’ve put together of solid coaches/teachers/men. They all understand the program and its history too. This won’t be a splash hire like alot of places make but then again Dennis Goodwin wasn’t either when he was hired.

DCA, unless they lose some talented players, has enough to win it all next year now that their OL/DL finally has the bodies needed to compete so the new coach steps into a great situation. 

16 hours ago, QuickStrike said:

Worry about fixing that trainwreck up in Hartsville.   

Wish I could snap my fingers and it be fixed, but unfortunately that’s not possible. It’s not just the W and L that bothers me, the program has lost all of the traditions it was built on. But that’s enough on this thread, DCA  should make a hire pretty quickly to keep from falling behind and hopefully keeping everyone happy. 

3 hours ago, Sackmaster50 said:

Well said. Most Administrations have a Coach or 2 in their top desk drawers for when Goats move to another pasture. The longer it goes by, the more room you leave for uncertainty and regression. At minimum, place an "Interim" tag on somebody in the meantime so you can continue moving the program forward and not leave doubt in the minds of your base. Crucial decisions for DCA Football, and Athletics as a whole, for 2024 and beyond. Will be interesting to follow. :popcorneater:

Sackmaster50, you seem to have all the answers.  Have you coached anywhere before?   Maybe you should apply. 

17 hours ago, Sackmaster50 said:

Well said. Most Administrations have a Coach or 2 in their top desk drawers for when Goats move to another pasture. The longer it goes by, the more room you leave for uncertainty and regression. At minimum, place an "Interim" tag on somebody in the meantime so you can continue moving the program forward and not leave doubt in the minds of your base. Crucial decisions for DCA Football, and Athletics as a whole, for 2024 and beyond. Will be interesting to follow. :popcorneater:

The current staff member that you WOULD give the "interim" tag to is one of the applicants so if you do that most decent candidates are not going to apply because it looks like you already have a coach in waiting.  A lot of coaches do not want to stick their necks out looking for jobs in case it causes a problem with their current employer, Why do that if it appears the job is already spoken for.

Now I know and agree that said current staff member is a "great guy" and all that, but he is not going to get the job. Putting that interim tag on him would only make your situation worse. You certainly would not have had two of the three candidates for sure that have been seen on campus or at said eateries that are considered the "finalists".

Try to see the big picture.

Edited by MichaelMyers76

3 hours ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

The current staff member that you WOULD give the "interim" tag to is one of the applicants so if you do that most decent candidates are not going to apply because it looks like you already have a coach in waiting.  A lot of coaches do not want to stick their necks out looking for jobs in case it causes a problem with their current employer, Why do that if it appears the job is already spoken for.

Now I know and agree that said current staff member is a "great guy" and all that, but he is not going to get the job. Putting that interim tag on him would only make your situation worse. You certainly would not have had two of the three candidates for sure that have been seen on campus or at said eateries that are considered the "finalists".

Try to see the big picture.

Roc will be back today.   He is currently going to be unemployed, so they can get him for cheap.  He doesn't win anywhere he goes as head coach.   

CPA assistant won't stay once a big job opens up. 

BA assistant needs a gig because Wade got the job and there is no opportunity for advancement.  

Go get the DCA QB who is a winner and knows the school.   And has connections to help in other sports.   

Sheriff has it under control. 

Here is my new fear in this process in this new era of sports. If a player and/or family does not get the coach that THEY want, who is taking their football and cleats and going to play on the other side of the fence? It's kind of like the NIL situation driving movement in college sports in other words. Not every player will feel this way of course but just thinking out loud on this one.