DB Basketball.

bdawg122712

8 minutes ago, Rebelyell10 said:

Some can’t see what is right in front of their nose….the younger teams are always better than other schools!!!  EVERY YEAR!!!  You will see who is right, trust me and then ole wacky will eat crow!  What school did you or your kids go?  

I’ll agree DBs freshman teams have always ran thru everyone in every single sport since I can remember. I don’t really know what happens after that. This is obviously a rebuilding year even though I thought that they would be a tad better than they are right now. They will be fine though. I like the young guard #5 and Hayworth the post. Both of them are gonna be forces. And the 2 freshman that have been dressing out some are gonna be good. 

2 hours ago, Db2017 said:

I’ll agree DBs freshman teams have always ran thru everyone in every single sport since I can remember. I don’t really know what happens after that. This is obviously a rebuilding year even though I thought that they would be a tad better than they are right now. They will be fine though. I like the young guard #5 and Hayworth the post. Both of them are gonna be forces. And the 2 freshman that have been dressing out some are gonna be good. 

"I don't really know what happens after that" ?  How about winning a state championship in 2022 and making the state tournament final 8 again in 2023. I've followed DB sports for a long time and no, DB's freshman teams don't always run through everyone. But you are right about one thing, DB will be fine. 

2 hours ago, Rebelyell10 said:

Some can’t see what is right in front of their nose….the younger teams are always better than other schools!!!  EVERY YEAR!!!  You will see who is right, trust me and then ole wacky will eat crow!  What school did you or your kids go?  

Acting stupid is not a good look for you. 

8 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

"I don't really know what happens after that" ?  How about winning a state championship in 2022 and making the state tournament final 8 again in 2023. I've followed DB sports for a long time and no, DB's freshman teams don't always run through everyone. But you are right about one thing, DB will be fine. 

Not always but more often than not the freshman teams dominate most others. I haven’t followed as long as you I know but Im knowledgeable decently lol. There will always be weaker classes. And I wasn’t just talking about just basketball. I meant all sports. I love Coach Poore. Him and Idellete(wrestling) are the best coaches in Kingsport rn. The “idk what happens after” was more a football comment. I’d say out the last 10 years 6 or 7 of those classes were hands down better than anyone they play in baseball football and basketball. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Db2017 said:

Not always but more often than not the freshman teams dominate most others. I haven’t followed as long as you I know but Im knowledgeable decently lol. There will always be weaker classes. And I wasn’t just talking about just basketball. I meant all sports. I love Coach Poore. Him and Idellete(wrestling) are the best coaches in Kingsport rn. The “idk what happens after” was more a football comment. I’d say out the last 10 years 6 or 7 of those classes were hands down better than anyone they play in baseball football and basketball. 

Yes. I agree about football. But you'd have to say up until this year with coach Poore the varsity team has been good. It doesn't matter how good the coach is you're going to have a year here and there where the talent is a little thin. Sometimes you have a few that aren't committed and a few quitters here and there. And that's part of what's going on this year. It's left the team with only one senior and no real leader on the court. As for the freshman team, I could be wrong but I'm thinking you'd have to go back to the early 90's to find a team that was beating the opponents by the margins this team is. That was the team that had Jamichael Mills and Shane Karnes and went 35-2 as seniors. 

Edited by WaCoJaCo
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rebelyell10 said:

We shall see how poore and little dipsy doos do in the future…. But don’t think for a minute that there won’t be multiple guys quit again this summer and next year……as usual

You need to somehow get a clue. If anybody quits it's because they're soft like you. 

I was motivated to write this when I read that John Sevier Middle School has some promising basketball players.

My basketball journey started in the 9th grade when I lived in St. Petersburg FL.  I attended a large high school (5000+ students) and was the first sophomore to start on the varsity.  Tampa, Clearwater and St. Petersburg offered terrific athletic competition as there was an abundance of really good athletes.  I learned early that if you didn't have the talent, fundamentals, conditioning and mental toughness to compete, you would get your rear-end handed to you.  I thrived in that environment. 

I benefitted from great parents, great coaches, and a support network second to none.  There have been very few high school athletes who have enjoyed more opportunities than I was presented with.  Notice that I haven't said I was better than anyone.

In high school I worked extremely hard every day to enhance my skills as a basketball player.  Most days I got up at 5 AM and practiced many hours each day.  It paid off, I was offered over 200 Division One scholarships.  I made 57 straight foul shots in game competition.

In 1963 I was on the Ed Sullivan Show as a first team Parade All American player.  There were five of us, and Lew Alcindor was part of that group as a 15 year old sophomore from Power Memorial High School in New York City.  I decided to attend UNC and became Dean Smith's first high school All American recruit.

In high school the fans gave me a nickname, The Rifleman.  I led the nation in scoring my junior and senior years.  I shot 65% from the floor with everyone trying to stop me.  If I had played with the 3-point shot in effect, I would have averaged over 50 points.  You have to have confidence and believe in yourself if you are to become a really good shooter.  It has to be achieved by hard work and learning how to execute the fundamentals the correct way.

After serving in the military and doing social work with foster kids in New Hampshire, my first teaching/coaching position was at John Sevier Middle School.   I was blessed and honored to have had the opportunity to coach so many high character young men for 15 years.  When I coached at Sevier, my basketball teams won 96% of their games.  We had three undefeated teams.  I don't know of any basketball team in Tennessee that has won 96% of their games for 15 years.  If a team has achieved this, they certainly developed a winning culture.

My teams at Sevier lost to Johnson City only twice in 15 years.  Those were the same players who won state championships under George Pitts.  Who's your Daddy?

I want to give credit to the coaches I learned from.  I played for three Hall of Fame college coaches:  Dean Smith, Larry Brown and Hugh Durham.  Billy Cunningham and Dave Cowens were teammates of mine in college.  I got to compete against Pat Riley, Louie Dampier, Jon McGlothlin, Tom and Dick Van Arsdale, JoJo White and many other really good players.  I played against Duke five times, and we won each game.  I played against Kentucky once, and we won by 15 points.  My job was to guard Louie Dampier, and he didn't score a point.   I did my job!  

I will close by saying John Sevier Middle School will always have a special place in my heart.  Every player who played for me was a very special person.  Thank you for providing me with so many great memories.  I do hope that I made a difference in your life as a basketball player, and more importantly as a student/athlete and person.

I wish the best for every young man and young lady playing basketball in this area.  As Dave Cowens often said, "Show me what you've got!"

Ian Morrison - Coach Mo

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, CoachMo45 said:

I was motivated to write this when I read that John Sevier Middle School has some promising basketball players.

My basketball journey started in the 9th grade when I lived in St. Petersburg FL.  I attended a large high school (5000+ students) and was the first sophomore to start on the varsity.  Tampa, Clearwater and St. Petersburg offered terrific athletic competition as there was an abundance of really good athletes.  I learned early that if you didn't have the talent, fundamentals, conditioning and mental toughness to compete, you would get your rear-end handed to you.  I thrived in that environment. 

I benefitted from great parents, great coaches, and a support network second to none.  There have been very few high school athletes who have enjoyed more opportunities than I was presented with.  Notice that I haven't said I was better than anyone.

In high school I worked extremely hard every day to enhance my skills as a basketball player.  Most days I got up at 5 AM and practiced many hours each day.  It paid off, I was offered over 200 Division One scholarships.  I made 57 straight foul shots in game competition.

In 1963 I was on the Ed Sullivan Show as a first team Parade All American player.  There were five of us, and Lew Alcindor was part of that group as a 15 year old sophomore from Power Memorial High School in New York City.  I decided to attend UNC and became Dean Smith's first high school All American recruit.

In high school the fans gave me a nickname, The Rifleman.  I led the nation in scoring my junior and senior years.  I shot 65% from the floor with everyone trying to stop me.  If I had played with the 3-point shot in effect, I would have averaged over 50 points.  You have to have confidence and believe in yourself if you are to become a really good shooter.  It has to be achieved by hard work and learning how to execute the fundamentals the correct way.

After serving in the military and doing social work with foster kids in New Hampshire, my first teaching/coaching position was at John Sevier Middle School.   I was blessed and honored to have had the opportunity to coach so many high character young men for 15 years.  When I coached at Sevier, my basketball teams won 96% of their games.  We had three undefeated teams.  I don't know of any basketball team in Tennessee that has won 96% of their games for 15 years.  If a team has achieved this, they certainly developed a winning culture.

My teams at Sevier lost to Johnson City only twice in 15 years.  Those were the same players who won state championships under George Pitts.  Who's your Daddy?

I want to give credit to the coaches I learned from.  I played for three Hall of Fame college coaches:  Dean Smith, Larry Brown and Hugh Durham.  Billy Cunningham and Dave Cowens were teammates of mine in college.  I got to compete against Pat Riley, Louie Dampier, Jon McGlothlin, Tom and Dick Van Arsdale, JoJo White and many other really good players.  I played against Duke five times, and we won each game.  I played against Kentucky once, and we won by 15 points.  My job was to guard Louie Dampier, and he didn't score a point.   I did my job!  

I will close by saying John Sevier Middle School will always have a special place in my heart.  Every player who played for me was a very special person.  Thank you for providing me with so many great memories.  I do hope that I made a difference in your life as a basketball player, and more importantly as a student/athlete and person.

I wish the best for every young man and young lady playing basketball in this area.  As Dave Cowens often said, "Show me what you've got!"

Ian Morrison - Coach Mo

Excellent read. Thank you. 

9 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

DB's freshmen and JV won the district championship tonight. The freshman by 30 over Science Hill. 

As a former Topper, who principalled Coach Poore in Greeneville, I hate to say this. Special things are about to happen to DB basketball for a long time to come.