Scorebook

Random1234

Should there be a neutral-unbiased party that does books for varsity games? Seen a lot of instances where discrepancies in the books sway games one way or the other and there is nothing for a visiting team to do because you have to go by the home teams book as it is "official". 

2 hours ago, Random1234 said:

Should there be a neutral-unbiased party that does books for varsity games? Seen a lot of instances where discrepancies in the books sway games one way or the other and there is nothing for a visiting team to do because you have to go by the home teams book as it is "official". 

Just my two cents, I believe it should be like done similar to the play clock operator in Football. The home school provides the official book until the post-season, after that the games mean more and TSSAA should provide someone who is trained by them keep up with it. Everyone is human and I have seen errors that have affected the outcome before in the regular season and beyond! 

Edited by TheTruthHurts22

On 2/6/2024 at 10:54 AM, TheTruthHurts22 said:

Just my two cents, I believe it should be like done similar to the play clock operator in Football. The home school provides the official book until the post-season, after that the games mean more and TSSAA should provide someone who is trained by them keep up with it. Everyone is human and I have seen errors that have affected the outcome before in the regular season and beyond! 

But regular season directly affects the post season. So it should be a non biased party that does it at all times. I just can't believe that people can't just be honest and not cheat smh

I have been a scorekeeper for over 25 years and only on one occasion has this been an issue. The home scorekeeper recorded a foul on the wrong player and led to a lengthy discussion right before halftime. the officials agreed it was recorded on the wrong player but the "official" scorekeeper would not change the foul. It was not an issue in the 4th quarter of the game. Although we had to remove the player to make sure he did not pick up his fifth foul. I do travel to all the away games to make sure this does not happen. For years the visiting scorekeeper always sat next to the official scorekeeper. Know you have all the live video and audio that is at the bench and the scorekeepers get separated. I believe it is up to the host school to have a competent person keeping the book. Where i am from the host school provides the scorekeeper for all the regional, sectional games, it is not until you reach the final 8 that the state assigns the scorekeeper.

47 minutes ago, Fawhy said:

But regular season directly affects the post season. So it should be a non biased party that does it at all times. I just can't believe that people can't just be honest and not cheat smh

They don’t even have enough refs for the regular season let alone if you add a book keeper to every game, unfortunately. However in the post season I believe it can be done a lot easier,  because not all teams will be playing. 

Edit: TSSAA should teach the younger non experienced refs how to keep the book,  while simultaneously letting them watch the seasoned more experienced refs work the games. It some instances it may help the younger refs gain confidence and understand the game better. However this may not help too much since some of them only have a basic grasp of the rules let alone the situations that arise! I’ve seen many of instances of just horrid officiating and even refs losing control of the games this year from both young and old officials than ever before! We are going to be in major trouble when the Boomers and gen Xers  retire from officiating. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts22

On 2/8/2024 at 8:27 AM, WestTNHoopsFan said:

I haven't seen this in a game this year but have seen it in the past. The remedy is for the home and visitor scorebooks to be sitting side by side instead of the home book at one end of the table the the visitor book at the other. 

I agree such a simple and common sense approach, but yet you see some scorekeepers who have this ego that they are the home book and refuse to conversate. We all make mistakes and sometimes its hard to hear the ref or they might throw up a number but then say another so having that conversation and checking books after every quarter or at least at the half would just keep the integrity of the game. 

21 hours ago, Southern said:

I have been a scorekeeper for over 25 years and only on one occasion has this been an issue. The home scorekeeper recorded a foul on the wrong player and led to a lengthy discussion right before halftime. the officials agreed it was recorded on the wrong player but the "official" scorekeeper would not change the foul. It was not an issue in the 4th quarter of the game. Although we had to remove the player to make sure he did not pick up his fifth foul. I do travel to all the away games to make sure this does not happen. For years the visiting scorekeeper always sat next to the official scorekeeper. Know you have all the live video and audio that is at the bench and the scorekeepers get separated. I believe it is up to the host school to have a competent person keeping the book. Where i am from the host school provides the scorekeeper for all the regional, sectional games, it is not until you reach the final 8 that the state assigns the scorekeeper.

THIS!!! even when the error is clearly stated and they just continue to go along with it. Makes absolute no sense. 

21 hours ago, TheTruthHurts22 said:

They don’t even have enough refs for the regular season let alone if you add a book keeper to every game, unfortunately. However in the post season I believe it can be done a lot easier,  because not all teams will be playing. 

Edit: TSSAA should teach the younger non experienced refs how to keep the book,  while simultaneously letting them watch the seasoned more experienced refs work the games. It some instances it may help the younger refs gain confidence and understand the game better. However this may not help too much since some of them only have a basic grasp of the rules let alone the situations that arise! I’ve seen many of instances of just horrid officiating and even refs losing control of the games this year from both young and old officials than ever before! We are going to be in major trouble when the Boomers and gen Xers  retire from officiating. 

I really like this idea!!! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1