Coaches Overstaying Their Welcome

10 hours ago, Elias287 said:

Paige head football coach Charles Rathbone is going into his 10th season, and if he doesn’t win state this year, I think it’s got to be his last. He’s had some very good teams, but especially this past season completely sold this year with terrible play calling and time management all year. They had all the capability in the world to win a championship this last season, and they do again this year, especially with a linebacker duo like Anes and Hazzard. I would give him this year, but if he doesn’t win a championship, or at least even make it to the championship game, it’s got to be his last;, there’s no more excuses for him.

This is monumentally stupid. The past 3 years of Page football have been by far the most successful in school history.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Elias287 said:

He definitely had an advantage in talent over West both years that they played 2022, which was just a straight embarrassment. Nobody was expecting Paige to lose by that much or even lose to Knox West, but they did, and you can only point fingers so far either way. However, look at it: the two losses from this season from independence and Knoxville West shouldn’t have happened and only happened because of terrible time management and play calls at the end of the game, which has been a common thing. Verizon, tire coaching career at page I'm not doubting he is a great coach and has built something special over at page, but he just needs to complete the journey with a gold ball, which he hasn’t done so far, even though looking at his past teams.

You either watched different teams than I did in 2022, or you're a pretty bad judge of talent.  Position for position, West was better over 2/3rds of the field in 2022.  2023 Page might have had more talent, but they still got out-coached and out-toughed.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Elias287 said:

Paige head football coach Charles Rathbone is going into his 10th season, and if he doesn’t win state this year, I think it’s got to be his last. He’s had some very good teams, but especially this past season completely sold this year with terrible play calling and time management all year. They had all the capability in the world to win a championship this last season, and they do again this year, especially with a linebacker duo like Anes and Hazzard. I would give him this year, but if he doesn’t win a championship, or at least even make it to the championship game, it’s got to be his last;, there’s no more excuses for him.

Are you serious?  

He's been to the state championship game 3 times.  Sometimes kids just don't make the plays to win.  That's hardly on him.  

Fire him and see if you are able to find another coach as good as he has been.  Firing him after the success he has had would be a definite red flag for most potential applicants.  

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Elias287 said:

He definitely had an advantage in talent over West both years that they played 2022, which was just a straight embarrassment. Nobody was expecting Paige to lose by that much or even lose to Knox West, but they did, and you can only point fingers so far either way. However, look at it: the two losses from this season from independence and Knoxville West shouldn’t have happened and only happened because of terrible time management and play calls at the end of the game, which has been a common thing. Verizon, tire coaching career at page I'm not doubting he is a great coach and has built something special over at page, but he just needs to complete the journey with a gold ball, which he hasn’t done so far, even though looking at his past teams.

Do what?  

Both the Powell and West teams that won the gold balls against them were absolutely loaded with college prospect talent, from the highest levels of college football to the smaller levels.  

No offense, but you are clueless if that is your take,  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HTV said:

Do what?  

Both the Powell and West teams that won the gold balls against them were absolutely loaded with college prospect talent, from the highest levels of college football to the smaller levels.  

No offense, but you are clueless if that is your take,  

This is clearly an overzealous parent who is using CoachT as a platform to attack a highly successful coach.  

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, MidTennFootball said:

Even the best football coaches in the country (at all levels) struggle with clock management. Easy to judge a play after its over.

Your not doubting that he isn't a great coach, yet you advocate for firing a guy that has gone 63-17 the last 6 seasons, you can't have it both ways

Great coaches practice situation football using clock management. If the high school coaches would watch the NFL they could learn a lot about time management.  

2 hours ago, cbg said:

Great coaches practice situation football using clock management. If the high school coaches would watch the NFL they could learn a lot about time management.  

NFL coaches have NFL players running those systems. 

High-school coaches have 15-18 year olds running theirs. 

I understand the point you are trying to make, but that's an apples and bananas analogy. 

2 hours ago, HTV said:

I understand the point you are trying to make, but that's an apples and bananas analogy. 

I mean, it’s not rocket science to run proper clock management, but I can see both sides of this argument.

2 hours ago, HTV said:

If you don’t practice clock management with kids you will continue to get your backside kicked in crucial situations.  The definition of insanity is to continue doing the same thing and expect different results.

• Like 2