A coaching question

ReitzFan

On 2/16/2024 at 5:30 PM, BackThatPassUp said:

Why is that a problem if the parent knows the game and is unbiased? 

The problem is the kid will not be paying attention to instructions of the coach, if they are constantly looking into the stands for instructions from a parent.  Add the fact I have never witnessed a parent coaching a kid from the stands that didn't have a different agenda than what the coach/team/program had.  Many of these parent coaches only care how many points their child has in their career, even if the team has a losing season every year.  I am all for parents supporting and giving their kids advice, but the end of the advice part should be "But, you do whatever your coach tells you to do if it is different than what we discussed".  

8 hours ago, ladyvol31 said:

The problem is the kid will not be paying attention to instructions of the coach, if they are constantly looking into the stands for instructions from a parent.  Add the fact I have never witnessed a parent coaching a kid from the stands that didn't have a different agenda than what the coach/team/program had.  Many of these parent coaches only care how many points their child has in their career, even if the team has a losing season every year.  I am all for parents supporting and giving their kids advice, but the end of the advice part should be "But, you do whatever your coach tells you to do if it is different than what we discussed".  

Maybe I read the original post incorrectly. But I thought it made it seem like the parents in the stands were coaches. But they didn’t sit on the bench. I’m under the impression that they are coaches but also parents. 

8 hours ago, bounder said:

Cause the parent isn’t the Coach. If you wanna coach get a job as a coach and do it! Otherwise stay out of the way!

Again, Maybe I read the original post incorrectly. But I thought it made it seem like the parents in the stands were coaches. But they didn’t sit on the bench. I’m under the impression that they are coaches but also parents

5 hours ago, BackThatPassUp said:

Again, Maybe I read the original post incorrectly. But I thought it made it seem like the parents in the stands were coaches. But they didn’t sit on the bench. I’m under the impression that they are coaches but also parents

That makes more sense if you thought the parents were coaches on the team bench.  That can still be a slippery slope, as you will always have that one parent who will think that coach is giving their own kid more opportunities, but that situation is VERY different than have a parent “ coaching” from the spectator stands.

Having said that, I edit my original response to say, if the parent is qualified, the school system allows it, and the interview process is the same for anyone applying for the job…I see nor harm here.  I personally know 3 coaches who have coached their own kids.  No real issues with any of them, all know the game, and all appear to coach unbiased.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ladyvol31 said:

That makes more sense if you thought the parents were coaches on the team bench.  That can still be a slippery slope, as you will always have that one parent who will think that coach is giving their own kid more opportunities, but that situation is VERY different than have a parent “ coaching” from the spectator stands.

Having said that, I edit my original response to say, if the parent is qualified, the school system allows it, and the interview process is the same for anyone applying for the job…I see nor harm here.  I personally know 3 coaches who have coached their own kids.  No real issues with any of them, all know the game, and all appear to coach unbiased.

I've known coaches who coach their own kids who are fair to the team and their own kids.  That's rare.  

What you see more often are coaches who favor their own kids or coaches who are way too hard on their own kids.