Private state Champs vs large public champ

FR615

2 hours ago, cbg said:

Cleveland is a good team for Tennessee and even the Southeast but they are far from being a national level team.  Personally I don’t know of a single team in the Top 50 nationally that they could beat.  

That’s because without looking you could not name 5 teams in the Top 50 not named Wyoming Seminary or Blair Academy. Our results at the national level would say otherwise. 

Edited by FrecoFanatic
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, cbg said:

Cleveland is a good team for Tennessee and even the Southeast but they are far from being a national level team.  Personally I don’t know of a single team in the Top 50 nationally that they could beat.  

Better yet, go ahead do a match by match hypothetical against #41 - 50. Enlighten us with your knowledge of Fab 50 teams and all the kids on their rosters.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FrecoFanatic said:

Better yet, go ahead do a match by match hypothetical against #41 - 50. Enlighten us with your knowledge of Fab 50 teams and all the kids on their rosters.

I respect your opinion and takes but CBG is one of the lifers on this board and coached. Sure powerade and  that Indiana tourney were tough but no where near the toughest competition in the country in terms of teams. You would not have beaten a top 50 team.

Edited by FR615

7 hours ago, FR615 said:

I respect your opinion and takes but CBG is one of the lifers on this board and coached. Sure powerade and  that Indiana tourney were tough but no where near the toughest competition in the country in terms of teams. You would not have beaten a top 50 team.

So because he coached wrestling and has been on Coach T for life means if he says it, then it must be true? Well I coach wrestling, specifically the kids he is talking about, I have traveled all over the country and seen the other Fab 50 teams and feel pretty good that we could beat at least one or two of them in a dual. The guy who does the Fab 50 is pretty knowledgeable about High School Wrestling in this country and he seems to think we deserve to be recognized in the rankings as well. But let me defer to @cbg since you have told me no one knows more about wrestling and the Fab 50 teams. He has such an expansive knowledge of all of those teams and their rosters that he knows we would not beat a single one of the them in a dual, so thank you for clearing that up.

Edited by FrecoFanatic
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, cbg said:

Cleveland Raiders are one of the best wrestling teams the state of Tennessee has ever seen. I believe there are many, many teams on a national level they could beat. Even if they aren't one of the 50 best nationally they are still a national team when you think about how many wrestling teams are in the United States. Cleveland Raiders will keep bringing in wrestlers and football players. It will happen. I guarantee it. I am Captain Guru and I approve this message.

12 minutes ago, CaptainGuru said:

. Even if they aren't one of the 50 best nationally they are still a national team when you think about how many wrestling teams are in the United States. 

Then by this definition every team in the  state is a national team. 

37 minutes ago, Ummmno said:

Then by this definition every team in the  state is a national team. 

Ummmno how the heck are you doing? You watched Cleveland Raiders up close at state duals didn't you? Cleveland Raiders were just to good for everyone else. When people wrestled Cleveland Raiders they got their butts kicked. I guarantee it. It happened over and over. I am Captain Guru and I approve this message.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, FrecoFanatic said:

That’s because without looking you could not name 5 teams in the Top 50 not named Wyoming Seminary or Blair Academy. Our results at the national level would say otherwise. 

what would those results be nationally as a team that show you all belong? I didnt see any dual results against a top 50 team in the country and individual tournaments for the most part arent looked at for top 50 team placement because 3-4 top wrestlers can carry a team in a individual tournament while true strength is shown in both your varsity AND your JV depth. Now I have no issues saying to me Cleveland is a top 50 program 100%. Now where they actually land within that top 50 is anyone's guess. I think 42-46 is probably about it but for now that is better than any other TN team is doing.

38 minutes ago, ObseverW said:

what would those results be nationally as a team that show you all belong? I didnt see any dual results against a top 50 team in the country and individual tournaments for the most part arent looked at for top 50 team placement because 3-4 top wrestlers can carry a team in a individual tournament while true strength is shown in both your varsity AND your JV depth. Now I have no issues saying to me Cleveland is a top 50 program 100%. Now where they actually land within that top 50 is anyone's guess. I think 42-46 is probably about it but for now that is better than any other TN team is doing.

Fair question @ObserverW. We finished higher than South Dade and Buford at Knockout at 7 weight classes. That means it is reasonable to believe we COULD win seven matches against both of them. If we can win seven matches, we can possibly win the dual. Does not mean we would, but it does mean that we COULD beat at least two teams in the Fab 50.

Edited by FrecoFanatic

A few years ago, Lake Gibson from FL was ranked 45th nationally and they won the Knockout Christmas Classic that year down in Orlando. This year, Cleveland dominated down there and won that same tournament. I'd imagine thats close to apples to apples and Cleveland is probably pretty worthy of being considered in the top 50. Is what it is......Its why we want to wrestle them ;)

2 minutes ago, FrecoFanatic said:

Fair question @ObserverW. We finished higher than South Dade and Buford at Knockout at 7 weight classes. That means it is reasonable to believe we COULD win seven matches against both of them. If we can win seven matches, we can possibly win the dual. Does not mean we would, but it does mean that we COULD beat at least two teams in the Fab 50.

HA....we were thinking the same thing @FrecoFanatic!!