Snake Oil Coaches

There are a lot of coaches out there lying about who they are and what they know. I understand the game is about being able to learn it, but we tend to forget that you have to have some sort of the knowledge of the sport. I know this is a difficult thing to say, but you cannot just be a fan and coach the game. There should be something about having to be able to play it at least in high school if not college. Then if given a chance do not screw the schools you have been given a chance at. We already have a difficult enough time hiring good coaches and keeping them there. Thomas Morrell did this to my alma mater where he lied to the staff saying he was the best thing since slice bread and caused me a lot of problems. The guy can't coach and is full of himself. I guess that's what we get giving a guy who never stepped foot on a football field and just was a glorified towel boy. 

Has anyone else been fooled by a fool before? 

Have to be smarter and do your homework. Can't blame anyone but whoever hires them. If it's to good to be true then usually it isn't. Most good coaches have a job so like I say do the ground work and check on whoever you are looking to hire. 

There has to be a system of checks and balances, in football especially. The head coach is certainly important, but you have to look at the supporting staff around him and if something is off they should be the first to know. There is a big difference between being a good salesperson for yourself and the program versus being a straight up con man. 

On 3/1/2024 at 1:57 PM, Sodsofanarchy said:

There are a lot of coaches out there lying about who they are and what they know. I understand the game is about being able to learn it, but we tend to forget that you have to have some sort of the knowledge of the sport. I know this is a difficult thing to say, but you cannot just be a fan and coach the game. There should be something about having to be able to play it at least in high school if not college. Then if given a chance do not screw the schools you have been given a chance at. We already have a difficult enough time hiring good coaches and keeping them there. Thomas Morrell did this to my alma mater where he lied to the staff saying he was the best thing since slice bread and caused me a lot of problems. The guy can't coach and is full of himself. I guess that's what we get giving a guy who never stepped foot on a football field and just was a glorified towel boy. 

Has anyone else been fooled by a fool before? 

Thomas Morrell? I thought this was a post about Butch Jones' days in Knoxville.