Early AAA 2025 Favorites

Never too early to talk about next year’s favorites right? With Fulton graduating 4 of their starting 5 it feels like it should be more open. Also, it seems like a lot of the teams at state were senior heavy. My Initial thoughts on potential favorites next year:

Upperman (Ty Cobb and chaffin)

stone memorial (Cade Capps)

Hume - Fogg (only loses 1 player and returns their top 3-4 players)

I'm not as familiar with out west, so please feel free to inform and update us on them. I’ve heard Jackson south side had no seniors so I figure they would probably have something to say. 

On 3/16/2024 at 9:45 PM, knightsfan said:

Never too early to talk about next year’s favorites right? With Fulton graduating 4 of their starting 5 it feels like it should be more open. Also, it seems like a lot of the teams at state were senior heavy. My Initial thoughts on potential favorites next year:

I'm not as familiar with out west, so please feel free to inform and update us on them. I’ve heard Jackson south side had no seniors so I figure they would probably have something to say. 

There are a few teams that come to mind and they are all out of region 7. I think region 8 drops off unless there are some transfers (this is highly possible in memphis)

Haywood will be good. I think they graduate 3 but they played a ton of kids this season.

Bolivar also will be good. same situation

Obion County will win the other district. they only graduate 1 kid

South Gibson will be back in the mix. They started and played a bunch of sophomores and juniors

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Charger731 said:

Based on what we saw out of Upperman and how young they are, I would put them high on the list. 

I honestly have them as the favorites until we hear more from the East and see how the West develops next year.

I would also submit MLK as a dark horse to join Hume-Fogg next year. I believe they return their main core, and even though the record doesn’t show it, I believe they could have made it to the state tournament this year. Got upset in district semifinals and had to play Hume-fogg in region semis, and almost beat Hume-Fogg. Very similar in that regard to Stone Memorial who probably could have made state based on what I’ve seen and heard. 

Edited by knightsfan

Upperman will be tough for a while.  I'd almost pencil them in , barring crazy injuries of course, for the glass house next year. 

Capps and Stone Memorial could certainly break through.  I don't know if he has enough around him or not.  Time will tell. 

• Like 1

On 3/16/2024 at 9:45 PM, knightsfan said:

I also have South Side returning to the state tournament next season. Their district will be down. Chester graduates a lot and I don't think anybody in their region can beat them so they should be fine in a sectional game vs Region 5.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, WestTNHoopsFan said:

I also have South Side returning to the state tournament next season. Their district will be down. Chester graduates a lot and I don't think anybody in their region can beat them so they should be fine in a sectional game vs Region 5.

I could be wrong, but from what I saw this year and from what I know is returning, I believe the 4 teams to watch from Region 5 and 6 are Hume-Fogg, MLK, Station Camp, and Jackson South Side. All 4 of those return their core players I believe. So 2 of those would go to state since they play each other in sectionals. 

If you asked me to rank those 4 I would say 1. Hume-Fogg 2. Jackson South Side 3. Station Camp 4. MLK. I put Jackson South Side above Station Camp purely because they return everyone, and while Station Camp returns their core I believe, they did still have some Seniors I think.

Side note: Did Fairview have any seniors/are they returning any of their core players? If they return a lot then they could be added to this group.

Edited by knightsfan

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Alumn89 said:

Upperman will be tough for a while.  I'd almost pencil them in , barring crazy injuries of course, for the glass house next year. 

Capps and Stone Memorial could certainly break through.  I don't know if he has enough around him or not.  Time will tell. 

Yeah, I just looked at Stone's roster and didn't realize that Stone Memorial lost all of their core players, except for Capps. That will definitely make it harder. I already was gonna give the edge to Upperman, but now knowing this, I would think you have to give a CLEAR edge to Upperman in that district (let alone region).

Do we know anything about Regions 1 - 3? Greeneville appears to have a really good Sophomore in Trey Thompson, but I don't know much about the rest of the team. 

Edited by knightsfan
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, knightsfan said:

Yeah, I just looked at Stone's roster and didn't realize that Stone Memorial lost all of their core players, except for Capps. That will definitely make it harder. I already was gonna give the edge to Upperman, but now knowing this, I would think you have to give a CLEAR edge to Upperman in that district (let alone region).

Do we know anything about Regions 1 - 3? Greeneville appears to have a really good Sophomore in Trey Thompson, but I don't know much about the rest of the team. 

Greeneville had some nice wins last year with how young they were beating Alcoa, Bearden, Morristown West, and Morristown East who all either made the sub state or played at the Glass House.

Greeneville returns Thompson, Anderson, Tweed, Mcgill, and Mills that either started or was first off the bench and got a lot of playing time. McGill was a Junior, Thompson, Anderson, and Tweed were Sophomores and Mills who was a Freshman.  There were 4 seniors on the team last year.  Greeneville should be good next year as long as everyone stays healthy

Edited by Swipes
  • Like 1