MBA vrs Trinity

cmmndalum

It was a MBA graduate and former QB that started all the stuff about who was better. He wants to Play an overall state championship with the winner of 5A championship with MBA. MBA lost 4 regular season games and most say they are the best. I don't call Knoxville Catholic or Knoxville Webb powerhouse teams. Along with several others they played. Once again it was started by an MBA supporter.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4AFAN, most true and realistic MBA fans are not saying MBA was the best this year, including myself (although by the end of the season, they were capable of beating anyone). The thread that deals with this topic (the MBA best in state thread) was actually started by a BA fan. As for Webb and Catholic, those are the type of teams MBA has to play when many of the big boys choose not to schedule MBA. MBA would prefer to play the best Tennessee teams but usually has no takers, other than programs like Gallatin, DB, Oakland, Lincoln County, and a few others which have scheduled teams like MBA, BA, and McCallie recently. Nevertheless, any program that would put a Bolles or Trinity on its schedule should not have to take any heat for being forced to play a Webb or Catholic because few others in the state choose not to play. By the way, KC and KW do not appear on the schedule next year because MBA was able to find some quality out of state competition to replace them. Does that appease you any?

I am aware of what DT did in the Nashville City Paper and his DII3A vs. DI5A game proposal. Did he have a dog in the hunt that would encourage him to propose such a game? Sure. Would he have made the same proposal if BA had won the DII3A title game? Who knows? DT has caught a lot of heat for that proposal, more so (and rightfully so) for what happened to the sports editor than for the proposal itself. While the proposal itself was essentially a non event for me, I at least give him credit for trying to give public and private supporters alike the opportunity to have bragging rights. If you have an issue with whether or not the 5A champ was the best in DI, then I repeat, do away with classifications altogether, or at least reduce them from five.

REBELRON, with all due respect, if only state titles after 1969 "count", then why does your signature line include Maryville's 1964 title?

Could someone also tell me if, pre-1969, there are any other recognized rating services for Tennessee HS football other than Litkenhous or Litratings?

[Edited by rollredroll on 12-19-02 8:56A]

Well, since my state championship question regarding what counts and what does not count went unanswered (I thought it was a legitimate question of a pseudo-contradictory post), I will bring the conversation back to Trinity.

Does anyone know how many starters Trinity returns? Do they have any other DI prospects other than Brohm?

Does anyone know why the game is being played on Saturday, and in the afternoon? I would prefer Friday night, but if Saturday is the day, why not play the game at night versus 4 PM?

You do not have to be so sensitive. I have defended and given your program its due much more than I have seen mine get it. I just thought it was somewhat facetious that you implied that no titles before 1969 "count", yet your signature line includes one (the poll for which I cannot find) for MHS.

This is somewhat reminiscent of the talk Alabama fans around here spew to Tennessee fans. They say, "AL has 12 national titles; UT has only 2". The numbers are actually 7 to 2 (I believe) if you count AP or coaches polls, but I think each teams has 5 titles from Dunkel/Litkenhous/etc. type polls to make it 12 to 7. The funny thing about the trash talking is the AL fans say the TN fans can't "count" their Dunkel/Litkenhous titles but include their own in the comparison!

Back to Trinity.

[Edited by rollredroll on 12-21-02 3:43P]

I Think both teams are extremely great high school Football teams, and both I highly respect. If you take all the teams in TN and play in less divisions then you take so much away for the sake of teams that have everything. I was apart of a college team that Was at the top of everything, but you could not compare it to Carson-Newman. CN would not have a chance against it. That is what the talk is all about taking away from one for the ego of another. I agree that the Maryville's and MBA's should play each other. I also agree that you can schedule these teams for the next two years and one of them could drop off in talent. There is never gonna be the best against the best.

Hello again, 4AFAN. No hard feelings, I hope.

I agree. Both of these schools are going to have a bad year again some time. I would love to see them get together while times are good, but it doesn't look like it will happen with schedules set for next year and a total split potentially looming in a few years.

I have nothing to take away from Maryville. What they have done speaks for itself. I only wish that they would play a tougher schedule (specifically an out of state power) because they are one of the few programs in the state currently than can carry the torch for the entire state and knock off an out of state power and lend more credibility to our state as a whole when it comes to football. I don't think Maryville is afraid of MBA or anyone, and they (like anyone) can only schedule so many non-region games a year. I just wish MHS would use its level of play now to help further the state's image in football. Sure, they could lose such a game, but I'd rather have them fighting it out than most other schools.