History of Nashville Football - Question

BDURHAM

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach 763, Vic Varello graduated from Father Ryan. He was all-state in 1941. I still love ya', though. I saw that trophy at Maplewood. Keep up the trivia. By the way, was Central the other school that burned down? Also, they just tore down the old Meigs building a couple of weeks ago. I can't seem to find any reference to Donelson ever being called the tigers, either but since you roosted there for a little while....

[Edited by crazebear on 12-30-02 11:23A]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Herschel Moore and Bob Cummings ( a great coach, coached with New Orleans Saints at one time, you may remember from Hendersonville High in 60's.) coach together at Isaac Litton in the 1950's? One of the best coaches few know about came from this ancestry. Paul McClellan, who only coached for a few years at Mount Juliet in the late 60's and early 70's. Took mediocre talent from 2-8 to 10-1 in 4 years. Left coaching, never returned.

Questions:

Who was the head coach of those great Litton teams?

Is Bob Cummings still alive?

Who was Isaac Litton? (namesake)

Under the infamous "busing experiment" phased out coaches were given next 5 jobs that came open....

1. Hewitt-Litton to Goodlettsville

2. Smallen-Central to Goodlettsville (Hewitt left)

3. Starnes-Cameron to East

4. Elrod- Donelson to North

5. Hill - Cumberland to (got screwed) should have been given Bellevue, was bought off with Board job ;)

[Edited by coach763 on 12-31-02 8:07A]