mcCallie inv.

Rabbitt

First of all I'd like to say that I've never felt that the "best match" award was a significant award...especially to the looser of said match. But, let me ask someone to explain why the Silberman / Newsom 8-2 (125) match was voted best match. For my $12.00 tournament pass, the Leen / James (112) and the Scott / Marable (145) were both worth the price of admission.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the outstanding wrestler award generally go the the wrestler that was the most outstanding on that particular weekend, or the wrestler that may be the "best" overall wrestler. Raymond Dunning may or may not be the best wrestler overall to compete this weekend (4 McCallie Invitational championships in his career) But I don't hink that he was the most outstanding on this particular weekend.

• 3 weeks later...

Many of you were disappointed when Cardinal Gibbons cancelled out of the MI.

They were in The National Division at the VA Duals and went 1-2. The were destroyed by St. Mark's of Delaware in the first round, beat a weak Grundy VA team in the consolations and were eliminated by Christiansburg, VA.

They were tough at 112, 130 and HWT but I was far from impressed with their overall team. The #1 move used by most CG wrestlers was the Headthrow. During the match with St. Mark's, at least 10 on the 14 wrestlers atempted it multiple times. That should tell you something. Their best wrestler by far was Taylor @130. A match would between him and Dunning would have been entertaining but I believe RD would have won. The HWT was very good but would have been no match for Daniel Crosby.

If CG wrestled in Tennessee, I would rank them somewhere around 5 or 6.

I mention that CG beat a weak Grundy team. I had better explain that. This year's Grundy team is a shadow of its former self. They have few above average wretlers. Childress @ HWT is a stud and they are solid at 160 and 171 and decent at 103 and 189. Beyond that they are not very good and would have trouble cracking the Top 10 in Tennessee. They were bounced out of the National Division after two matches and would not have placed in the Top 6 in the American Division either.

SB

[Edited by Silverbullet on 1-14-03 8:55A]

No I think that is a different situation. The McCallie Invitational is their tournament. The state tournament is a TSSAA event and I don't think Mr. Carter would allow that. I am talking about the traditional state not the duals.

[Edited by sly on 1-14-03 4:06P]

It's the McCallie tournament. They can, and probably should, wrestle their matches where ever they want. You don't like it, don't go, don't send your team. The State is another story. The host school should have no more say than any other school as to on what mat the matches are wrestled.

Those that complain about keeping matches on one mat probably have never been deeply involved with running a tournament. Along with the wrestling, there are always numerous other things that need to be handled. We have a great booster club that helps run our events, but there are always fires to put out. We are also at reduced staff for tournaments due to tournament operations being handled by the assistants. As far as the fans are concerned, they know the routine and found the best place to sit, in front of the mat all of their matches will be assigned to.