A SAD day in Tennessee HS Basketball......

gomab2

Today is a sad day in Tennessee High school basketball, as one of the finest, most caring Coaches in the State resigned this morning.....

Dyer Co's Butch Hopkins is just one of those special coaches out there who really, truly cared for his players, and would do anything for them, along with turning around a dormant Dyer Co program into one of the State's elite.....

I have been blessed with the opportunity to have known Coach Hopkins, and he is a class individual. In fact, those who do not like Hopkins are simply the ones who Dyer co has beaten. Otherwise, it is impossible not to like a man who cares for his players the way Coach Hopkins does, or like a man who's team plays so passionately for him on the court. These are to me the two most important factors in determining a great coach, not wins and losses (which Hopkins won many). It is how he cares for his players, and teaches his players, and prepares them for the next stage in their lives, along with how hard his team plays the game, how they play on the court the way the game was meant to be played......

These are tributes to a great Coach, a great man, and a great teacher of the game.....

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While you may not agree with gomab, he is very knowledgable about high school players in the state of Tennessee. You have your opinion about DC, and he has his, and that is fine. But Gomab is not the one to take your emotions out on. He has his reasons for liking him, and you have yours for disliking him. Sad day or happy day, depends on who you ask, I'm sure DC boys basketball will still be strong this year without Butch, but don't condemn Gomab, for he knows what he is talking about when it comes to basketball in Tennessee.

Gomab, I just wish you kept up with the girls' side of it as well. Keep up the good work.

Jockrock2003: this post by wescharge is in response to your earlier post which I removed. If you choose to disagree with gomab, that's fine, but you are not going to do it in the manner of your earlier post.

[Edited by coacht on 12-20-02 2:49P]

I agree with you gomab. Whatever the reason may be Northwest Tennessee has lost a very good High School Coach.

People need to realize that we are dealing with a man's future and career. Rejoicing in someones personal defeat shows just how much class you have, or lack thereof.

Good luck to the Dyer Co. basketball program the rest of the way. You guys need to play just as hard for the new coach as you did for Coach Hopkins. That will be the true testament to how good of a coach he truly was.

[Edited by thebeave on 12-20-02 2:49P]

I think we have lost a great coach. I will miss seeing him in action. Butch, as everyone does, has his shortcomings. Butch would coach for nothing, he does not need money. Good luck to him and his family. Gomab if he ever begins an AAU program, you are in for a run for your money!

These are the kinds of Posts that needs to be on here. I,m tired of the bashing going on against DC. Enough is enough. Thank you guys for the kind and considerate words. It is a very sad day for Dyer Co. Your not going to find a more dedicated coach than, Butch. My prayers go out to him and his family.

As a former player, and assistant, it saddens me greatly to know that we have lost one of hardest working teachers of the game that high school athletics has ever known. Though his work-ethic may have blinded him at times, he never intentionally did anything that should be labled as premeditated cheating. All he ever really tried to do was teach the game, help kids, and win. It kept kids off drugs; it kept kids off the streets; and it kept kids in school. His philosophy was always an open gym is much better than the alternative. So he gave them the opportunity. He has changed more lives than any of us could even begin to imagine. Sure people hate him, but that is only because what they see on the outside is simply a fierce, hard nosed competitor stalking the sidelines drawing every ounce from his team in an effort to come out the victor. People that criticize him do so because they truly do not know him. They've never seen the Hopkins that pours tears when a season comes to a close and graduating seniors move on to new things. They've never seen the Hopkins that drives 25 minutes one way to pick up a freshman (that might not ever even play) just so he has the opportunity to play at open gym. They've never seen the Hopkins that begged college coaches to give his players just an opportunity to make the team. They've never seen the loving grandfather play with his grandson. Well I have, and I have been truly blessed to have played for him, coached with him, and most importantly called him friend. Make the most of your last four games coach and go out on a win. For those of you who don't know, it has been his dream to end the season with a win. Well I hope he does it. It is just a shame that it won't be in Murphreesboro. Coach Hopkins, you have changed my life and I wish you the best. I love you like a father, and will always remember all you have taught me.

Thanks,

The son you never had, Coach Williams

[Edited by coachinhoops on 12-20-02 3:17P]

TW that was the best post that I have ever seen on this site. It is also the saddest. Butch brought a winning tradition to Dyer County. Whoever takes his place might walk in footsteps, but will NEVER fill his shoes. It won't be the adults that will miss him, but the kids of Dyer County will. The ones who disliked Butch are the ones who never saw the other side of Butch Hopkins.

Thanks, Butch for giving me the opportunity to work with you the last 9 years. Man, what a ride!

Well I do not know butch hopkins personally i haved followed the dyer county choctaws since graduating in the 80's Butch you did one heck of a job by turning around a program always finished at the bottom of the ladder. You not only brought pride to your guys on the team you helped bring pride back into the orange and white. I made both trips to the tournament and the excitement that you created in this small town was extraordinary. It is a sad day in basketball but a sadder day in Newbern because we just lost the coach that brought a sense of pride to this town.

Coachinhoops, what a post. For everyone who has never been around Butch then you just don't know what you are talking about. I am SO HEART BROKEN over all of this. The thought of not having Butch leaves me speachless. He taught my child in school and she LOVED his class and him. I just don't understand why it has to be this way. I wish that there was some way for Butch to know what he means to the ORANGE AND WHITE. I guess the only way for him to know is for his kids to go to the BORO for the 3rd straight year and this time BRING BUTCH the CHAMPIONSHIP HOME. Butch, I don't have the correct words to tell you this, but man you are AWESOME!! WE WILL MISS YOU BUT NEVER STOP LOVING YOU FOR WHAT YOU HAVE BROUGHT TO DC!!!!!!! :D