Maryville Basketball

Somedude

I think maryville has a great basketball team this year, with lee humphrey coming back his senior year and drew houser doing very well early in the year, i see them being a big impact in 3 A basketball. Plus they have their 6th man joey koontz.

what do you guys think

[Edited by Somedude on 12-21-02 2:34P]

Carl Eppolito will be sitting the bench by the time the break is over! Tyler Gaskin has posted 3 nice games since the football players returned and he will slide quickly into the SG spot and Carl will be sitting the bench. Carl brings smarts, good leadership, and good court awareness. However; his shot is terribly weak. He can make it, but its not a high percentage shot. When he does come off the bench he will bring much needed leadership. Maryville will be and can be something special this year, but they have to get everyone functioning as a team, as one unit. They still haven't done that this year.

D-B fan here. Maryville and D-B face eachother in the opening round of THE ARBY'S CLASSIC. We don't get many looks at Maryville in North East Tn. What is the Size and Grade Class of the Starting Team. My nephew plays post for D-B, so I asked him tonight what Maryville had and he said that the best player in the state is on the team. So, you must be pretty good. You all will love the Arby's Classic. It is the finest B-Ball Tournament in the South. And be ready for a packed House in Bristol.

See ya after X-Mas.

[Edited by ArtVandalay on 12-21-02 10:42P]

I am a true Maryville fan...if you don't know me, I've already taken the honors. I don't diss Maryville, I state facts. Also Carl Eppolito insulted me just the other day, so I was just making sure he knew that he was going to lose his starting spot. Maryville's starting 5 is 6'2, 6'5, 6'6", 6'5" and 6'5". Most every player is quick, can shoot, dribble, and rebound. Andy Tipton and Tyler Gaskin are 6'6" and 6'5" consecutively and both are tall, lanky and can shoot the lights out, they play SG and SF. Drew Houser is the second best player on the team, he averages about 15 ppg. and is a force in the paint at 6'5". He has a 38 inch vertical and can bench 290. Jacob Stout is 6'5" and a huge offensive presence, he has great low post moves and scores 10ppg. Finally...Lee Humphrey, well Lee is going to Florida and is the best player in the state. He averages about 23 ppg. and can shoot from anywhere on the floor. He's not only a shooter but a smart player with speed, agility, quickness, and handles. If they play together they will be a tough team to beat, we haven't seen a total team effort this year; however, but hopefully it will come after Christmas!

The DB/Maryville matchup will be a good one, definetly the best one on the first day of play at the Arby's. Maryville has a bigger starting 5 and they are good, but they will have their hands full with DB. DB's starting 5 are excellent players and the Indians have a solid bench. DB's starting 5 will most likely be Azmar Blye,Henry Williams,Joey Blackwell,Jarrod Wooten,Seth Jervis. They're starting 5 stand at 5'11,6'1,5'11,6'5,6'5. DB has great guard play and post presence. They play pressure D and they cause their opponents a lot of turnovers. Along with Maryville, DB is an athletic team that is extremely quick. Blye,Williams,and Jervis are all deadly 3pt shooters for the Indians. All 3 of those guys can also slash to the basket for 2. Wooten is a major force under the basket for the Indians. When Thomas Harrison comes off the bench for the Indians they also have another threat in the post. Harrison and Wooten are rebounding machines, and they make plays under the basket. Both teams are very good and very well coached, but I think DB will come out with the win. If Lee Humphrey doesn't have a good game I think the Rebels may be in some trouble. Plus DB will have the homecourt advantage so the fans will be behind the Indians.

as of right now eppolitto still has the starting spot, and i dont see how u can say that eppolitto's shot is weak when he doesnt hardly shoot the ball?!? he shot one 3 pointer against WB and made it and probably could've called a foul on it, so only time will tell if eppolitto or gaskin will start, but they arent losing anything with eppolitto starting and gaskin comin off the bench. fyi gaskin and stout are not 6'5, gaskin is probably 6'3 and stout is maybe 6'4.

Gaskin is atleast 6'4" and Stout is atleast 6'4". However; I see much better production from Gaskin. The only things that Eppolito brings to the table is defense and leadership. Eppolito doesn't produce much of anything on the offensive end. I can only really recall him making two shots, one was last year and the other at WB. Sure he doesn't take many shots, but what does that tell you? It tells me that he should at least be high in assists, he's not. His defense is good and he plays real tight against his opponent, but I don't think his defense will be enough to keep him in the starting 5. Sure he still has the spot, but I don't think he'll keep it long. Especially once the games start getting harder, more points will be needed, and once we play bigger teams. I think its Gaskin's for the taking and Carl will lose it soon. Sure Carl is a decent defensive player, but if you cannot help produce anything on the offensive end then you're only playing half a game. Defense is important, but: "You can't score if you don't shoot!" -Hoosiers.