AAA Top Ten

Froggy

1. Shelbyville (13-1) won 11 straight/Deep South Classic

2. Oak Ridge (13-1) very good team, maybe the best

3. Sevier Co. (10-2) can beat anybody

4. Lawrence Co. (11-4) tough schedule, played well in ATL

5. Farragut (10-4) will be tough at tournament time

6. Cookeville (9-4) losses to very good teams

7. Greenville (11-1) schedule strength???

8. Beech (13-1) refer to #7

9. Riverdale (12-3) hot start,may only be #4 in region 4AAA

10. Houston (12-1) would they be 12-1 in middle or east TN?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that's a pretty good top ten. Memphis East may need to fall some place in the top 6. I do believe that Shelbyville is the top team at this point in the season. I'm from Lawrence Co. and we've played both Oak Ridge and Shelbyville. Shelbyville is the better team and that's not taking anything away from Oak Ridge because they are also a very good team. Shelbyville is so strong at the post position and very good at the guard. To be honest they should have beaten Oak Ridge at our tournament. Farragut has played both, maybe someone out there will give their thoughts on the 2 teams. ;)

Re: 10. Houston (12-1) would they be 12-1 in middle or east TN?

Maybe we should ask whether the others on the list could maintain such good records playing Memphis City and Shelby County teams on a nightly basis.

I get the feeling that the intensity and difficulty of playing a city rival twice a week doesn't receive enough consideration.

Last team from Memphis to win AAA state championship: Melrose, 1985. Since '85 Jackson Central-Merry in 1996 is the only West TN team to be crowned #1 in AAA. I'm sure those Shelby County rival games are fun to watch, but those teams can't compete with teams from other parts of the state on a consistent basis.

Some of the rankings on this board are getting funny! How can someone put Shelbyville over Oak Ridge who beat them at a neutral gym. This middle Tennessee stuff is getting old. Yes they Shelbyville won the Deep South Classic but Oak Ridge has faced tougher comp in both tournaments they played in. Great post it gave me a good laugh.

Guest 1moretime

Head to head competition is the best indicator for rankings and in this case it is totally ingnored. Oak Ridge earned a higher ranking than Shelbyville because they beat them. I agree this poll is bogus!

I agree with the rankings simply because both of Shelbyville's starting post were in foul trouble and the top post in the state (Fuller) was sitting the bench most of the game. Fuller had 3 fouls in the 1st qtr and 4 by halftime. That's taking 20 to 25 pts from Shelbyville as she had to sit most of the time. If there had been better refs (and I heard that same comment from several teams there, including Oak Ridge), it would have been a different game. The refs were making "knitpicking" calls against Shelbyville but Shelbyville knows that there are many people in the state of TN who would love to see them lose. They usually have to go out and play against 7 to 8 people (5 players and 2 or 3 refs) almost every night. But they usually win! Hopefully, these 2 teams will meet again at state and "May the best team win"!

Polls reflect what has happened. They also change from week to week. Until Shelbyville beats Oak Ridge, they will be behind Oak Ridge. As far as your description of that first meeting, SCHS, you just describe a basketball game. As you said, "May the best team win". So far that is Oak Ridge until that next time.