University High cancels tonight's game with Unaka?

starman

We can't play because of bad weather. I am amazed that Tony Gordon would call and cancel the game. I am on campus where University High is located and not even a flurry today. It is not slick, no snow, what is the reason behind this. I can think of one. They have a kid who can't play on Friday nights because of his religion. Not to knock the kid but I am sorry. You play the game as scheduled. Their is no snow in Carter County nor on the creek. Crap like this needs to be looked into. These kids have worked hard this week to get ready for tonight's game only to have this coach call and cancel "for what reason". I wonder how many games in the East Tennessee area will be canceled tonight because of bad weather? I will tell you "none." I wonder if the game would be on if it had been Cederview Christian or some other patsy on their schedule?

[Edited by coachtdog on 1-3-03 2:39P]

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well,if its against his religion not to play on fridays,and he chooses not to,more power to him.from that point,its the coaches decision weather or not to play.if this kid is a major part of the team,i can see his reason for cancelling.though he should have known this before and cancelled sooner,if that is the reason.

It's not about the kid,goofy it's about why did they cancel. I respect Gary for not playing because of his religion. I don't respect Coach Gordon for the lame excuse he gave as to why they canceled. My opinion is that the weather gave University High the perfect excuse not to play unaka. Odds are that when they reschedule, it will probably be on a any other day but Friday.

You guys have to play us sooner or later. We just hoped it would be sooner.!!!!!!

With all the political correctness we are being faced with in this country, I can understand why the game was cancelled, but coachtdog is right. They should have been up front if that was the REAL REASON for cancelling it. But that brings up another question...Why not play the game and allow the young man to set out thereby respecting his religion? No one is forcing him to play. If religion is the question, why did UH play last Friday in the Grindstaff Classic at Hampton? Anyone think about that? Something wrong with the picture!

There is no bad weather in East TN tonight! Everybody else is playing, so obviously the reason is so that kid won't have to miss. I know he didn't play last Friday night in the Carter County Classic. This is a spineless move on UH's part. That is not a valid reason to reschedule the game, so I think it should result in a forfeit.

I do not know why school would have been let out. That is assuming that they were back after Christmas break. Some do not go back until Monday.

I do not intend to imply that I think the game should have been postponed. The weather did not justify a postponement. If Sullivan Central can get over to Erwin to play Unicoi County, I can conceive of no reason a team could not get from Johnson City to Carter County for a game.

My point is that the University High coach should not bear all the blame. If school was in session and was dismissed because of weather then why not use it as an excuse to try to play the game at a time you can be at full strength. Nobody from Carter County can convince me that they would not do the same thing.

Guest OnceaTiger

Teams have done this to unaka for the past 10 years.They call and cancel a confrence game in the middle of the season hoping that another team will nock unaka down to the bottom of the confrence.IT DONT WORK.It makes the unaka boys want to beat them even worse.And when the team comes in that cancelled unaka has fire comming out of there ears ready to beat them in the ground.Come watch the Re-schulded unaka and uh game and see for your self..... ;)