Ryan Invitational???

noonesfool

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to need some help, but here's what I remember:

103-great match, Dunning got put on his back and got down 0-4, great comeback to win over McCallie (could have been best match)

112-ryan beat a very good Gooden (Red Bank); Gooden put Simpson on his back twice in semis; the anticipated rematch between mba and ryan almost happened in consolation as ryan won a close semi 5-4

119-Cody Cleveland?? (help)

125-Silberman wins (don't remember much)

130-Raymond Dunning handily beat an outstanding Willie Furman (Red Bank); loaded weight class

135-Manley looked to be in for a tough finals before bulling his opponent (Red Bank?) to his back and pinning him in the first period; not sure if he got out of the 1st period the whole tournament; could have been OW

140-Ryan Scott gets beat in a slugfest 0-1 to Marable; Two tough SOBs

145-Brentwood very smooth in outclassing Ryan

152-Ryan wins on last second near fall over an Alabama guy who had some quality wins in tourney

160-McTorry terrorized this weight class pinning in finals

171-Marable beat Luttrell 1-0 in another slugfest; hardly the anticipated killing; should be prelude to DII finals

189-Rumble; Davis (Westside-Memphis) beats Goodman (MBA) in nonstop action; could have been best match

215-Thornhill-MBA (didn't see much of this match)

275-Crosby-Greenville outclassed, outmanned everyone in weight class; pinned Cooper-MBA in finals (could have been OW)

Sorry I didn't know all names and results, but it should be a start.

You can find the tournament results at:

http://www.fatherryan.org/sports/Wrestling/inv2003/index.htm

including a complete set of brackets for each weight class with the participants and results for each match in the tournament. The results are also broken down by teams with each individual's records and matches. Great job by Ryan in getting all this information onto their web site so quickly-------someone must have burned the midnight oil to get all this done.

[Edited by BuckLateral on 1-5-03 9:44A]

103- Whit Dunning (Ryan) dec (8-4) Michael White (McCallie)

Whit domintated the kid after making a mistake and going to his back for a quick two count be the refin the first, and controlled White the whole match and I think Dunning can take it to anyone in the state, maybe this is a State Finals match?

112- Jimmy Hiller (Ryan) dec (7-1) Tike Gooden (Red Bank)

Jimmy Hiller is the absolute real deal, Gooden is a great wrestler and defeated a good Simpson kid, and Hiller dominated and did everything right, and he would have maybe gotten my vote for OW.

119- Cody Clevland (Mccallie) Maj dec (11-2) Frank Mondelli (Ryan) Cody Clevland pretty much domintaed the whole match, racking up alot of back points to get a good tourney win. I was very impressed watching Mondelli through out the tournament he beat some good wrestlers to place for Ryan.

125- Jack Silberman (Mccallie) M-dec (10-2) Charlie Oddo (Ryan) Silberman is the real deal domintaed all of the match Oddo for Ryan did a good job staying with him and maybe a tough important match down the road.

130- Raymond Dunning (Ryan) M-Dec 14-2 Willie Furman (Red Bank) What can you say 4 time Tournament Champion OW and wrestled a tough Furman in the finals, I think Dunning could have won the tournament in any weight class from 125-140, and maybe possibly give Marable and Ryan Scott a good match at his weight now. Another State Title in Dunnings future!

135- Spencer Manley (Mccallie) Fall 1:16 Jusitn Gooden (red Bank) Getting a pin in this type of tourney in the first period is always a huge accomplishment and something to brag about. Manley from Mccallie looked very very good, and Gooden from Red Bank had a good weekend, but leaving the mat shaking his head I dont think he knew what happened it happened so fast. His brother looked away after taking a picture and turned back around and it was over. Good Match for Mccallie.

140- Bobby Musser (Brentwood) Dec (9-2) Nick Myers (Ryan) Musser from Brentwood really impressed me it was his first Ryan invitational after transfering from Nevada where he placed in the state there as a freshman. He was very aggressive and good on his feet while defeating a good wrestler in Myers, i see both of these guys going deep in the tourney in February.

145- Nick Marable (Christian Brothers) Dec (1-0) Ryan Scott (Mccallie) Well the score says it in this match, I think all of their matches will be this close and low scoring, Marable got an escape I think late in the third and Scott could not get a take down, to win this match one of the guys have to make a mistake and the other capitalize or I can see it almost 1-0 or 0-0 going into the third everytime, Scott to me not as intense as usaual take nothing away from Marable, I think it will be a state finals match and I cant wait to see it!

152- Adam Stark (Ryan) Dec (6-5) Justin Miller (Benjamin Russel, Ala.) This was one of the most exciting matches I have seen over the years, with 5 seconds left a deperation cradle by Stark puts the Miller guy on his back to get 3 near fall as the horn sounded. It was very intense and got the crowd off their feet in the gym. My question is with Connell looking a little burned out after wrestling since he was six years old does Stark win state? A wide open weight class in February.

160-Chase McTory Fall (.54) Justin Knox (Farragut) Once aganin a pin in the first period is a big match for the winner and leaves the other shaking his head leaving the mat. Chase to me right now is wrestling very well and possibly trying to impress his brother with a gold medal in February. I have changed my mind on him he is a good wrestler right now and we will see if mentally he stays with it.

171- Michael Marable (Chrisitan Brothers) Dec (4-1) Blake Lutrell (MBA) Well the Marable kid did what he had to do to win, and pending no upsets this could be the state Finals match, I think Marable has improved after last year just being dominated by the kid from Ryan, I think it was Gorham who just beat him probably 10 times. I think that Marable can win state beating Lutrell. He is a good wrestler.

189- Leavy Davis (Westside) 6-5 Blake Goodman (MBA) This to me was the most intense match of the tournament, with every whistle blowing to signal out of bounds the MBA kid was flying in the air to land out of bounds, lots of upper body strength used between the two. I think that Goodman could have won the match if he shot near the end, Davis was gassed and out of steam, but he held him off and defintely deserved the win, both of these guys are sore this morning i am sure.

215- Ian Thornhill (MBA) Dec (4-1) Jeff Pereiria (Farragut) Thornhill put a coujple take downs together to win a close match and it looks like he might have a great chance to win a state championship as long as he doesnt make many mistakes in Februray.

275- Daniel Crosby (Greenville) Fall (1.05) Seth Cooper (MBA) This Heavyweight is for real and I am cheering for him to win the state after his show at the tournament. he picked Cooper above his head on a shot and pinned with ease. I dont know the kid and first time to see him wrestle, but what got me was how sportsmanlike he was on and off the mat he wants the state championship and I think he can get it. Good luck to Crosby. He could have gotten a good amount of votes for OW.

1. Father Ryan 286.00

2. MBA 217.00

3. McCallie 212.00

4. Christian Brothers 133.50

5. Farragut 107.50

6. Collierville 106.00

7. Franklin 102.00

8. Brentwood High 94.50

9. Houston 88.00

10. Red Bank 84.50

11. Fort Campbell 73.00

12. Greenville 71.00

13. Kenwood 70.00

14. Knox Catholic 67.50

15. Tullahoma 65.00

16. Westside 62.50

17. Karns 61.00

18. Rossview 58.00

19. Mt. Juliet 55.00

20. Maplewood 51.50

21. Hendersonville 49.50

22. Benjamin Russell 47.50

23. Northeast 47.00

24. Lipscomb 46.50

25. Brentwood Academy 45.00

26. Franklin Road Academy 37.00

27. BGA 31.50

28. Dickson County 31.00

29. Glencliff 30.00

30. Germantown 26.00

31. Marshall County 22.00

32. Sycamore 19.00

33. Webb 17.00

34. Fairview 0.00

34. (tie) John Paul II 0.00

34. (tie) MUS 0.00

34. (tie) Smyrna 0.00

34. (tie) USN 0.00

This was a tournament filled with a couple powerhouse schools and D II finished in the top 4 and I was very suprised to see MBA second and Mccallie 3rd followed by Christian Brothers and Farragut and a host of D1 schools. Father Ryan just absolutely dominated with 13 out of 14 wrestlers placing in the top six. I thought it would be Mccallie and Ryan dualing it out for the top spot, but MBA fab four kept them in it with there upper 4 weights getting in the finals. Dont let the score fool you when the dual meets come around these top 3 teams will make it alot closer, and it will be fun to watch in February. Good luck to all teams and wrestlers this last month and a half!

Lovetowrestle!

The 103 finals match was a fun match to watch, and Dunning wrestled a great match showing his great technique. White(McCallie) gave a great fight in the match, and in my opinion, the match could have been best match. I think this match will indeed be the state finals match in February. Maybe it will be best match there.

Great job to the Father Ryan program for running an excellent tourny. Even with the huge number of teams, they were able to stay reasonably close to the predetermined starting times. Lot's of quality wrestlers and great matches. Clean bathrooms and good popcorn, not much more a wrestling fan could ask for except a match board. Father Ryan is definately the team to beat in the D2 states.