Brentwood Tour

buckingbronco2

Coach Blair: You hosted a great tournament.

Positives: Moved along well. Very, very well organized. Facility excellent. Food was really good for food from a concession stand and break area was adequate. And the sound system was understandable.

Things to work on: restrooms were horrible. Perhaps custodians could clean them intermittently. Boys' roomwas always crowded and cluttered, wrestlers need a room to change clothes. Some got clothes wet on the floor while changing. It was really BAD. Is it possible that a second area is accessible? Please!

Also, work with your timers and helpers. At least three matches were determined after the time expired: one because the official was watching the back of the wrestler on the mat and the kid with the towel was looking around when OO's came up. He wasn't watching the clock and the ref awarded back points, changing the outcome. At least two seconds passed while people were yelling. Love those video cameras!

It would have been really embarrassing if the championship 140 match had turned out that way. It was a terrific match.

Again congratulations. Maybe you could sit down and share your notes with other tournament directors. It would sure help them cause your's is one of the best.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest goodsport

Good summary Trackman.

It was a really good tournament. I only wish we knew how close the score was before the final match. That would have made it even better.

One of the bads about wrestling is the smell of the boys' rest room anyplace. But BHS was even worse cause ,pst of the stuff was clogged up.

If we ever host a tournament, I'm going to suggest we hire the Brentwood people to run it for us.

One major improvment would be if the jv and the freshmen tournments were emerged together. The wrestlers would all get more exprience and matches. This will make the brackets even bigger!! It would be a young wrestlers' first big tournament. Coach Blair, I hope you seriously consider these changes. I think it will make the tournament much better. Also, teams wouldn't have to wait until their jv/freshmen matches were over with. They ended about 11:30 pm. The next day, some wrestlers didn't even 6 hours of sleep. The Brentwood tournament is always a good tournament, and I think these changes will only improve the tournament. :o:o

I don't know about combining JV had some pretty big brackerts. 145 was full 16 man bracket,with a couple of girls. I think it was very good im still mad I didn't get to wrestle. I wouldn't of done that good but i would of gotten experience. I wanted to see Josh and Cochran wrestle. I can't believe 0.1 over and he's on my team.

Thanks for the complements and suggestions. By no means do we run a perfect tournament, so we're always looking to improve. One area that DEFINITELY WILL improve is the bathroom situation. I was not aware of there conditions and truly appologize for any inconvenience. We will have changing and bathrooms for the wrestlers and access to more bathrooms for the fans.

I've thought a lot about the JV and freshmen tournaments. Combining them has come up, I just don't know how to do with the least amount of confusion. It would mean have 1 tournament going on between 2 gyms because of mat space. That's kind of a nightmare for coaches to have to keep up with. We'll work on it, though.

What I would really like is feedback on the medal round. This was the first year we've done all the medal matches together. What'd you think, good or bad?

Pictures will be up on the site soon, http://www.brentwoodwrestling.com/tournament/

including some GREAT shots for all you Masters fans out there.

JV - Freshman combined team (?) Would be OK if they limited team entries to one per weight...otherwise too big, too long.

Well, Gentlemen ...So you had a problem in your restrooms. Why didn't you report it at the time? Coach Blair was probably not even aware of it. Boys will be boys!

PS: The ladies rooms were clean at all times. :)

Matmaid. I hope your post was meant in jest. If not, your comment would detract from an otherwise quality program.

I, and probably most, did not approach Coach Blair at the time because he was quite busy. Also, because of the reputation of the program, I knew it would be addressed at the appropriate time - which is now, rather than in the middle of competition. I'm sure, had he been aware of it, the bathroom situation would have been remedied.

We're all glad to know you were pleased with the bathrooms, but why the attitude?

Coach Blair:

If you were to ask me, I would say do not combine the freshmen and JV tournaments. Other than leaving to see a few selected varsity matches on Saturday, I was at the freshmen tournament from start to finish, which was wrestled on two mats in the small gym. I saw some pretty good looking young wrestlers who got to enjoy wrestling guys their own age, strength and maturity. Other than the MBA duals back in December, your tourney, and the grand championships this weekend, there does not seem to be much on the schedule for just freshmen. Except for the really exceptional kids like your own Kellen Holliman, most freshmen have to wrestle every day at practice against the older and stronger upperclassmen, fill openings in the varsity roster at matches, usually against an older kid on the other side, or wrestle exhibitions, oftentimes against an upperclassman who cannot crack the other team's starting lineup. While this will help make them better wrestlers in the long run, it does not offer many opportunities to experience the "thrill of victory" ( more often they get the "agony of defeat"). I think they need the boost of wrestling their own that your tournament provided so they will continue to be interested and come back as stronger and wiser sophomores.

As for the comments about the freshmen tournament ending late on Friday (we left about 10:45) and keeping some varsity teams waiting, there were some intial snafus in the brackets, wrestlers being put in the wrong weight classes and other admin problems that caused that tournament to get started later than planned. It had nothing to do with the size of the tournament. Wrestling was originally slated to begin at 6:00 but it did not start up until 7:30-8:00. If these initial glitches had not happened, then the Friday night session likely would have ended around 9:30.

Otherwise, I echo the sentiments of the others complimenting you on the tournament ( maybe it was just my luck, but the couple of times when I went to the bathroom there was actually a custodian getting ready to clean it. )

Coach Blair

I liked the medal round. We were there late Friday, but I expected that with that many wrestlers. I enjoyed getting home early on Sat. As far as the freshman/jv tournament other than the good competition at your tour. having all my wrestlers wrestle that weekend is a big plus. The reply about the few freshmen tour. was correct.

Just an idea, can you move the head table up to the second floor and put six mats down? You could run your bout sheets up and down in a basket like they do at the Grand Championships.

Great tour. we would love to come back next year!

Sharrock