Div. II - Top 5

brownhut

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What will FRHS have to do to overcome Harpeth Hall?

My top 5 this week -

1. ECS (until proven otherwise)

2. HH (got FRHS's number)

3. FRHS

4. Briarcrest (not as deep as in the past)

5. tie

-Hutchison (can solidify position this week with victory over Harding and respectable showing against ECS)

-Webb (only two wins against teams with over .500 winning percentage, Alcoa and Knoxville Central; and a loss to a sub .500 team)

moving up St. Benedict; SBEC

brownhut,

Harpth Hall has beat FRHS once a year for the last 3 years.

Their victories over FRHS have come in their own gym.

However, HH has not been able to defeat FRHS outside of their home gym. FRHS has had the upper hand both at home as well as neutral sites.

Therefore, I wouldn't go as far as to say that HH has FRHS number by any means.

So with that said, here are my top 5 (really top 4).

1) ECS

2) (tie) FRHS / HH (HH won round 1 in overtime @ HH)

4) Briarcrest

5) Only time will tell

yeah Hoopfan, saying that HH has FRHS's number was too strong, my bad. I should have said that HH won round 1 and left it at that.

"callinyouout" - I would agree with you that BCS start the year #1 because of last year's championship, but there have been enough games played this year in my opinion to show who deserves to be ranked higher. ECS deserves to be #1 until someone proves they're better on the court. I did have BCS #1 in Nov. early Dec. but the loss to a weakened FRHS (without Archie) after ECS had beaten them was my proof otherwise. If Briarcrest were 0-15 I wouldn't rank them #1 just because they won state last year. I have to form an opinion on how they are playing now. What do you see in how they're playing that makes them better than FRHS, HH, or ECS?

Guest oletimes44

HH and Ryan are two good contenders this year...but you cannot blame the FRHS loss on the Harpeth Hall's gym...HH beats Ryan at home and Ryan beats HH at home...its the way it is...and you also can't refer to the past...HH is an entirely different team than they have been in the past. Until Chip Fridrich came to Harpeth Hall and drastically changed the attitude and enthusiasm for basketball, HH had nothing. Ryan has always been known for its basketball. Jinx Cocheram is a legend at Father Ryan. But now...the Bears are older players...even last year they were really young while Father Ryan was very experienced. Experience wise, Ryan still has the upper hand, but thats about it.

Also, Harpeth Hall was a different team the last time they played at a neutral site...That was 2 years ago...All they had that year was Becky Brown and Sisk(who was a freshman). Baker was still in middle school and Bohannon was on the JV I guess. Think about the difference now...Bohannon, Sisk, Baker, Urell and now Taylor Parrish(freshman). Jennifer Price is getting some good minutes too.

Bottom line - if Ryan and HH played 10 games in the Murphy center, my bet is that Harpeth Hall would win 5 and Ryan would win 5. It just depends on who comes out to play on a certain night. Harpeth Hall was the better team in "round 1". We'll see what happens in February.

One more thing, Harpeth Hall fans and players could use Ryan's gym as a crutch as to why they can't win at Ryan, but they don't. And the reason Ryan was able to win at HH in the past was because HH just wasn't that good 5 or 6 years ago. Its a new ball game though.

[Edited by oletimes44 on 1-19-03 4:55P]

Easy there oletimes44.

I didn't see anything in hoopfan's post that said anything about using HH gym as an excuse for why they lost.

You on the other hand have made the excuse to why you lost to Ryan 2 years ago.

Is what hoopfan said true about HH not beating Ryan except for when they played them at home?

[Edited by BehindTheArc on 1-19-03 9:14P]

Your right (MR. or Mrs.) Ole times. Times have changed. When I was in high school, FRHS was still developing girl's sports since it was an all male school years before (and we always lost to Harpeth Hall in basketball and volleyball). By the time I was really partying in college (early 90's)....I began to hear of Irish success in the women's field. When I finally came home (1998)....I found myself in love with the fact that FRHS was very well represented by the GIRLS, not just Irish football and wresteling which I grew up on and enjoyed the success of both programs statewide. But since I came home....HH and FRHS have had many great battles.....FRHS has won all of the region title games vs. HH in both basketball and volleyball (5 years in both). I know Chip Fridrich, he did very well, and HH in my opinion is SO GOOD....but I really think FRHS' teams from the past and future DESERVE so much more credit for what they have done in this heated rivalry than what you are giving them ( Harpeth Hall has destroyed many good local teams in basketball and volleyball over the last FIVE years, yet the LADY IRISH have beaten them for the REGION PLAQUE every one of those FIVE YEARS)....Also, when I brought up HH's gym during my posts about the game vs. Ryan, I did not do that as a "crutch", fact is HH has an awesome gym to play in. If Duke were playing Carolina at home, do you think any of the announcers would mention Cameron's noise level as a factor?......Uh......probably only 20-50 times......let's face it Ole Times .....we are just announcers and analysts, enjoying the game.....GO IRISH.....win or lose against HH you have class and spirit, I hope you get along well with HH and all the teams you play....YOU GIRLS' ROCK....YOU HAVE DONE SO WELL...FRHS RULES

[Edited by frhsrules on 1-19-03 11:21P]

[Edited by frhsrules on 1-21-03 12:17A]

Guest intlplayer

I was at the harpeth hall v. father ryan game at harpeth hall and it was a really great game. I took my daughters and it was exciting even for the youngest of them. The ball played was excellent on both sides through the entire game and both overtimes. I was upset by the technical fouls called in the second overtime on father ryan. Intential fouls should not be tolerated by coaches, teammates, and fans. part of any game is losing with honor and it is truly a bad reflection on players if they can't manage to muster up at least a little good sportsmanship.

Yeah, I was just watching CNN, when they did a special on the homeless dying children around the world. It made me think of what your girl's had to endure at that vicious FRHS vs. HH game.....I hope you were able to get your girls home safe......hey.....can I borrow your HAPPY DAYS and Osmonds' greatest hit's collections.....this snow has really got me bored.

[Edited by frhsrules on 1-20-03 1:24A]