OS-McMinn Central

goosevol

I thought it was a good game at Oliver Springs. The Chargettes came out and doubled Hall at every turn. That pressure allowed McMinn to grab an early lead, but if you're going to pressure Hall then you're going to commit fouls. Hall is so quick that she causes a lot of holding and blocking fouls from players not being able to keep up and that happened tonight. OS stayed in the game in the first half by hitting 13-18 free throws while McMinn was 6-11.

The second half became more of a half court game (I don't think McMinn could keep getting fouls if they pressed) and that favored OS. The game was close throughout but OS was able to grab the lead early in the fourth quarter and then they hit 16-18 free throws in the quarter to preserve the win.

I was impressed with Mullinax from McMinn. I had her with 19 points, 18 boards, 5 blocks and 4 steals. Hall finished with 29 points, 8 boards and 8 steals while Jessie Hackworth had 18 points and 14 boards.

[Edited by goosevol on 1-8-03 1:22P]

She scored 9 in the first half and 10 in the second, but her last basket from the field came with 5:23 left in the third quarter and that gave McMinn a 40-35 lead. After that, OS and Casee Wampler in particular did a great job of denying her the ball and when she did get the ball she did not have any easy shots. Mullinax did hit some free throws late that added to her total, but OS had the game wrapped up by then.

OS sent a loud message last night in defeating A McMinn Central team that was considered one of the top 5 teams in the entire state regardless of classification.

Even though OS has lost four games, the Lady Cat's schedule has seen some of the best teams/players in the state. With wins over Giles County ( AA state runnerup last year), Clarkrange( top 3 team in A), and the win over McMinn Central. Losses to top notch AA programs Jackson County ( 3 time defending AA champs) and Livingston Academy were on each school's home court.

Coach Wright has done an amazing job of pitting the Lady Cats against the best compeition in preperation for tourney time. This will pay huge divedends come late Feb/March. Teams like Jackson County, Livingston Academy, Giles County, Upperman, and McMinn Central have always done the same, now come tourney time OS will be battle tested/prepared when it faces top notch competition this year.

Great win last night!!!!!!!!!!!

way to go oliver springs. You guys were ready for us from the tip off. McMinn Central did not come out to play like they have previously. Also great job Laura Hall. You are a great player, double team didn't do anything to you. I think you are the best guard in the state. You really opened up the Chargerettes eyes. You guys play them again on their last home game (senior night) good luck to you guys in the future. Again, congradulations, you all played great.

Great post Chargerchick cause I know your blood runs straight through Mcminn Central,it was great game to watch with two very good teams.But theirs some really great talent on your team also with Lee & Mullinax and others they played great and Im sure if we dont really come to play Central will return the favor at the Roundhouse.Just glad to see your post and comments fans and players have alot of CLASS good luck the rest of the way. :)

Classy post, chargerchick. A good mark for you. If only your sports writer would have shown the same...

Posted by chargerchick:

way to go oliver springs. You guys were ready for us from the tip off. McMinn Central did not come out to play like they have previously. Also great job Laura Hall. You are a great player, double team didn't do anything to you. I think you are the best guard in the state. You really opened up the Chargerettes eyes. You guys play them again on their last home game (senior night) good luck to you guys in the future. Again, congradulations, you all played great.