Brentwood Academy/BGA Preview

WesVLT

Well, if BA was told they had one time out left, they can call it. I bet they wouldn't have called a sixth time out if they hadn't been told they had one left.

The officials and the BGA coaches should have been more aware of how many had been called. The BGA coaches should have been verifying how many both teams had left, that way you prevent the problem from happening in the first place.

But yes, the scorekeeper shouldn't be missing time outs. You have to be alert to what's going on out there if you're the official book.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris Slay hit a couple threes early on...he is a sophomore (I am almost certain) and is the brother of Ron Slay.

As for the accusations of the 6th timeout, the errant officials, and the locked ball @@@@...I can't say I know the details of the situations, but I will tell you that none were intentional. That's all I'll say for now, and let someone more knowledgeable answer your questions if he or she wishes.

Oh, and I agree, the refs weren't exactly perfect...(the goaltending call...) ;)

I didn't count, but I'll take your word that an extra timeout was called. I did see a BA assistant coach ask a referee (not the scorekeeper) how many they had left. At any rate, that was not a big factor in the game. Somebody blew it keeping the basketballs locked up. I know they usually do lock them up at halftime to keep the little kids from grabbing them and shooting, but that's the first time I've seen them not unlocked.

Good comeback by BGA.

The extra timeout is a scorekeeper error. I doubt the experienced BA coaches would call a timeout if they knew they did not have one. I did not see their assistant check, but it makes sense and I do not doubt it. I did see BGA's assistant show his book (which no doubt showed 5 already taken).

We will never know if it was important. The timeout did give BA's coach a chance to settle his young players and set up his defense. BGA would have done exactly as they did - inbounds to Cole Rose and let him try to get to the foul line or get a good shot.

I agree with WesVol, the goal tending call was questionable.

I would not believe (or even want to imply) that the scorekeeper timeout error was intentional - as I posted previous, the scorekeeper had trouble a couple of times earlier in the game.

So far as the ball @@@@, it makes sense you don't want the little kids playing with the balls at half time. I guess our "small" team was probably hard to tell apart from the other small kids in the gym (even though they had on blue uniforms and stood in two lines waiting to start their drills). ;)

[Edited by CUFan on 1-13-03 7:10A]