lost lawsuit

coachtut

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

itzme,

You might want to look before you leap.

There is an article on the front page in The City Paper by Amanda Wardle. The gist of the article was that the Court of Appeals upheld Judge Walter Kurtz's ruling that there was not sufficient evidence to show that the TSSAA acted maliciously in regard to Carlton Flatt.

FYI. A ruling from U.S. District Court Judge Todd Campbell is expected by the end of January.

For those of you not in the city of Nashville who do not have access to the City Paper, you can click here for a summary of the article and a link to the original source:

http://www.NashvilleCityPaper.com/index.cf...&enews_id=19294

The article in the City Paper has more information in it than the rather short article that appears in today's Tennessean.

Posted by ELA:

I am glad that this stupid civil suit is over! I hope the BA lawsuit ends VERY soon and maybe we, as a state, can get back to the business of coaching high school athletics and put this mess behind us.

ELA...if you think this lawsuit was stupid, I sincerely hope you think it was stupid because the TSSAA tried to penalize BA. If not then YOU are part of the problem.

I think there was a valid reason for the lawsuit, but I don't think the TSSAA did a good job in the investigation portion of the lawsuit. There was more information available but the TSSAA decided to only use one aspect of the issue to use in the original matter. Consequently, it was the only information they could use throughout the appeals process and re-trial. I just don't care what happens from BA's stand point and I feel sorry for the students who were involved in this whole process.

The problem with this issue is the TSSAA was under a lot of pressure to catch BA and I think they had plenty of information but simply took action too early without having enough information. What should have been done was a complete restructuring of the recruiting rules and then a strict adherence to those new rules. Now, it seems that is what they will be doing. My use of the word "stupid" is because after all of this time, we are back to square one. The TSSAA will still have to pay BA's legal expenses and refund the $3,000 fine.

My source inside the TSSAA office thinks that a complete settlement is close and it will include a new organizational plan for the TSSAA WITH a split. The private schools can play the public schools in the regular season but the private schools will all play in their own playoffs. The private schools will have representation on each of the boards equal to their percentage of schools and more control over DII. A new recruiting rule has already been written and will be a part of the plan.

ALSO: This thread (LOST LAWSUIT) was referring to Coach Flatt's individual lawsuit, not the one that was finished this week. It was the same issue, but he will not gain any money from the TSSAA. Coach FLATT LOST HIS LAWSUIT!