Best Coached School in Nashville?

ERA

Which school in Nashville has the best high school program going currently?

Just to clarify, programs can have a wave of talent come through and win. Which coach / staff would you look to in tough situations in the big games?

[Edited by ERA on 1-12-03 9:26A]

Something that always sticks out in my mind when I think about a really well coached high school team is the Goodpature High School team, probably around 97-98. Not exactly sure about the year or the team that I watched them play, but I think the Goodpasture coach was a women. Anyways, Goodpasture braught so much energy to the game that you just new they were gonna win. I knew nothing about the Godpasture team or the team they were playin, but the kids on the Goodpasture side never sat on the bench. They stayed on the fence yelling, singing, chanting, and anything else you could possibly think of to get themselves fired up. They even had their own little individual chant for each batter. You could literally feel the energy. And I'm sure it comes as no surprise that they stomped a mud hole in the opposing team's butt. Now I know you were probably looking for more X's and O's type stuff, but I think a motivated team is as important as anything. I also think it says a lot about the coach. JMO

You can be a bad coach and win state titles, as well as a good coach, Only thing the players leave the bad ones and have no respect for their coach ever, The good ones keep the players respect the rest of their lives,

I know a few of these bad ones, all they need to do is stand at third base and watch the show, They have so much talent on their team that there no need for them to open their mouth, But they want to take all the credit, You know i, me and my coaches. Some couldnt [ or wouldnt] help their players through bad slumps because the lack of knowledge on the how to,s of pitching, batting, or what ever. Just wants the win so they can bragg on them self.

What have you taught these girls about life, let someone else do the job , then you take credit fot it,,

These kinda of people[coaches] are the first ones to condem the younger people when they get in trouble. Look at your self coach , just what did you teach anyway.

Some of my students have told me this time and time again. This is not hear say, this comes from the players. Eever had a very good player cry on your shoulder because of this kinda treatment. but they are scared to say anything. because they wont to get to play where the college scouts may see them, A lot of these girls need help in college, but what price to pay.

To the good coaches, I hope you the best in life and what it has to offer. iam sure your life will be rewarding.

My best to all the girls this year ,hope it is your best ever. My thoughts and views, hope i didnt hurt anyone.

I think something that makes a good coach is how your players respond to you on and off the field. Some coaches are just hard to play for b/c they are inconsistent in what they ask of you and that can get confusing. Plus if a coach is cool, and is easy to talk to off the field about more than softball it makes it much easier to understand them, and communicate with them on the field. It is hard to never talk to off the field and then be thrown on the field and expect to play just as that person wants you to, because you may get one thing out of what he/she is saying and he/she means something totaly opposite. I am lucky enough to have 2 coaches (summer and school) that are awesome about wanting to know about me personally, and not just as a player, and that makes me feel closer to them, and I think I play better for them because of that.

I suspect you're on to something dropball...lol. If I'm a great coach (now there's a stretch) hypothetically speaking, first I would want a system that would put my sport in top priority as far, as athletics, so I will have the tools needed to win, of course, and to shore up my stock where the school wins and I win in case I need to hunt another job or at least get better job offers. Coaching is about love of the game, kids and the community. You also have to think that anyone who is competitive enough to coach at the top levels is also competitive enough to want to be in position for better pay and better chance for success. I believe the private system does have a leg up for the best coaches because they can offer them a "full house" when the cards are dealt and not 3's and 5's and have to take four cards at every game. Yes, the privates are in a better position, I don't blame the better coaches going to them and I also believe they should be looked at as examples as to best improve our public systems and not always tear them down. You find this in coaching summer teams, some kids are hardcore and want to train and win at just about all costs while others love the game and enjoy just showing up. Mix the two in the same system (team) and you wind up in chaos. Changes in the "System Rules" are the only way to get parity. Great coaches are competitive and are always going to look for the best "situation" for them to succeed.

I personally think there are good answers out there to make parity happen. It just can't happen overnight. It will take time, effort and commitment to get it to come around.

its interesting that this subject came up. last

year it also came up and the term "softball factories"

was used to describe the best programs. programs

are the sum total of all their parts - the coach,

players, faculty, etc. it is with all due respect

that these schools are softball factories. when parents

and their kids practically get on waiting lists to go

to these schools, you know they are the best programs

out there. it just so happens that most of these schools

are private, few public schools can match the privates

in their total program, it goes back to the old saying

that "you get what you pay for". if all the public schools

(of which my kid attends one) would put their money

where their mouths are, then they would deserve to be

called "softball factories" as well.

As in Coach Thomas not Coacht.com. Marquita Thomas was the first softball coach at Goodpasture with a 17 year career that ended after the 2000 season. Over 500 wins and 7 State finals appearances with two championships. The numbers are not what is impressive. She is without a doubt the best coach I have ever been associated with. I'm not talking "X's & O's, she will be the first to admit that is not her real strength. Motivation, putting the game into perspective, life lessons, teamwork; NEVER anyone better. Both of my daughters had the privilege of playing for her. Both are better people today because of what they learned while playing from her. Lee Phillips and I often talk about wishing the teams we have could experience the special things she brings to the game.

I remember coaching against Coach Thomas. She reminded me of Pat Summit and Steve Spurrier. Her teams played well. There was always hustle. It was enjoyable to watch her coach as well as to watch her team play. I did on a couple of occasions see her pretty frustrated with an umpire or two, and if my recollection is correct, she handle herself like Summit or Spurrier! Player's need to respect their coaches-- coaches need to be respectable people with good morals and values not to mention a good knowledge of the game. Good coaches need to be good teachers. I admire the gentleman at Lipscomb. He is a teacher of the game. I have stood at the fence and listened to his post-game with his players. I have not been around the Ezell coach(Freudenhauf ?) as often. But, many can say what they want about "the talent comes to him, all he has to do is roll a ball on the field". I disagree. At the healm of any good team there has to be a leader. Teenage girls don't always gel and playball as they should- they need guidance! And by the way, the person who I quoted saying that has only been out of his district once (first round elimination in regional) in 7 years at his school!! And the talent has been there. A good coach can improve talent, and a bod coach can subtract from the talent. This I have witnessed! There are good public school coaches-- Christy Brinkley! Let's be honest. She uses her talent to produce winning teams. I once asked her assistant coach about Christy's softball past. He told me she had played basketball at Kentucky, but that she hadn't played softball since high school. His comment (this was about 7 tears ago) was that her knowledge of the game was improving, but her ability to coach girls was outstanding. Her record shows her ability. The point about private / public is not relevant. It is people. Private school coaches do not go coach at private schools because they make more money! or that the program will be better funded! They coach there I believe because it's a lifestyle they choose. That lifestyle is being affiliated with a christian school. There is not more money in private schools for coaching. Private Schools have a very limited budget-- maybe moreso than the public schools. The players on private school teams seem to have family that allows for them to afford more opportunities for growth in athletics.

bglmrh,

what you said about the family's support of their

private schools is absolutely correct, as it is that

support which gives the wherewithal to the program to

make it successful, namely money and whatever else

the program needs. that's not saying the coaches

get the money for salaries, just saying the program

does not have to worry about much when they have

all the families resources behind them, including

spiritual, ideological, and all other means of support.

:D