Who Blinked, BA or Brentwood High

faninthestand

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair question. . .maybe both figured there was more to potentially lose than to gain from playing. I don't know what type of financial or other dealings played into it, but I do know that the gate for BHS playing at home against Ryan would be larger than the gate BHS would receive playing away at BA. Also, with BHS having a new coach and losing one non-regional contest because they add Ravenwood, something had to give. And taking nothing away from Ryan, but BA in addition to Blackman and Smyrna and the region games is more than you need to prove yourself in a season.

I, too, am curious as to why this game is not being played in 2003. A logical guess would be that first-year Coach Crawford had to play the game this past year because the TSSAA schedules were in the second year of the typical two-year schedule. Remember, Coach Crawford came from a school in Murfreesboro that has been outspoken in its disinterest in playing private schools during the regular season, and particularly BA. Perhaps some of that influence played a part in the decision not to play in 2003. Does anyone know which teams BHS picked up for its non-region opponents? If the school has not completed its schedule, a BA-BHS could still take place since BA apparently has an open date.

I do not think it is a case of anyone blinking. BA has played and beaten plenty of national powerhouses over the past 15 years that they are not going to shy away from anyone in Tennessee, even a top 5A program to whom they have never lost in football (to the best of my knowledge). I do not think BHS is afraid of BA either (they probably could have beaten BA by the end of the year), and I would think that the 5A finals win over Riverdale made that one blemish on their record (Week 0 loss to BA) easier to swallow. As I said, I do not think it is a case of anyone backing down out of fear of losing, but if one were going to make that argument, it would be relatively much easier to make it for BHS than BA.

[Edited by rollredroll on 1-15-03 12:53P]

I would have to disagree about Blackman beeing a suitable replacement for BA on a schedule. Blackman I believe is losing Turner and quite a few of there strength from last years squad. Without Turner, Blackman was much weaker than when he was with them, as evidenced by their early record than how they finished. Don't know much about Smyrna, but I have to believe a BA - BHS matchup is much more appealing to the Fans of High School Football, and particularly the Brentwood community.

It appears Brentwood Highs schedule is set with no dates to fill, BA needs opponents and has never shied away from tough games, I am starting to form an opinion on who Blinked :D

Bigchief, stay on topic. Don't make everything regarding Brentwood Academy a major issue.

BA certainly didn't blink, and I could not see Brentwood doing the same...if anything, I'm sure both teams wanted to play each other again. I know the Bruin players felt they had something to prove at the end of the season, with a Gold Ball and only one loss -- Week 0 to the Eagles. Meanwhile, Brentwood Academy would love to have a shot at proving that last year's victory was no fluke.

It probably just didn't work out. That's unfortunate, but maybe they'll meet somewhere down the road.

I agree that BA probably would not avoid this game. However, it's hard to argue the Bruins avoiding the Eagles, when they kept a weak '02 Father Ryan squad, picked up Smyrna and Blackman (minus Turner and Co.). I'm certain that if Both teams wanted the game, BA would not have Centennial in week 0 or the open dates on their schedule.

It's really a shame for the fans.

brentwood didn't blink, they closed there eyes for good. It seemed that Jack Daniels and Tom Moore finally had the community going strong and bragging rights on the line when this game was scheduled.

It was stated earlier that Crawford comes from a school that hates private schools, this is true!!!

Crawford refuses to play BA for this reason: he is scared. He knows he will not win, and because of this, he will not play.

Nevermind that the community and kids play this like it is the superbowl!!

Now is the best time for the entire state to focus on Brentwood for this game, and Crawford backs out. The game makes no difference in playoff race, or region races -- but it sure means a whole lot more than anything else to those kids!!!

Exactly how much money will BHS make from a struggling Ryan game.

Will that match up to the paycheck a BHS/BA game brings every two years?

I know that the BA coaches wanted to schedule it. (I've spoken with them.) I know that Ronnie Siegenthaler, the AD at BHS, was quoted shortly after the game this past year that he wanted it. I have heard that he was asked by Coach Crawford not to schedule it again.

Why would he want to lose again (they would, and badly) and lose any claim on being the best team in the state? He learned that tactic at the master's knee. Refuse to play the best teams, and hope everyone forgets that you refused.

[Edited by itzme on 1-15-03 9:31P]

The reasons for the contract not being renewed this time around could be numerous. I know for a fact that Coach Crawford did not want a Week 0 game, and if BA had already filled that slot with Centennial, when would BHS have scheduled them (or BA for that matter) if the other slots conflicted? No one is walking away from anyone. Ryan was willing to move the game to BHS for the bigger gate for two years, and a home game at a larger stadium brings in more money than an away game at a smaller stadium, not even counting concession revenue. If Crawford was eliminating contact with privates, why has he scheduled Ryan, which the best information I have is still a private school? The BA-BHS series has been on again, off again before. Yes, it generated great buzz in the community and was a money-maker, my informed sources tell me from this end it just couldn't be worked out in time. But trust me, it will be back in the not too distant future. In the past, the games were not competitive, but they have been very competitive the last two years. The days of blowouts are in the past.

I don't know why you, according to you an ex BHS player, is so critical of your school. You should be proud of their accomplishment and tradition that you, IF you were indeed a player, was a part of. All the speculation re: the series not being renewed for now is just that. The reason why is really of concern to you or me. My 2 sons have played for BHS accumulatively for 8 years. They were there from

0-10 thru 14-1. I have personally attend 97 consecutive BHS varsity games plus numerous Freshman and JV games, even when my kids were not playing. I will continue to support the program now that my kids are gone. We wish you would too! Sorry if you have a personal agenda against BHS. It's YOUR loss.