Lebron James...

QueenBee

There you go again ELA.....IF there is any wrong doing, it's his mother. You keep stating if LeBron has done any wrong doing. His MOTHER bought the Hummer. IT wasn't like he said mommy buy me that car, please, please, please!!! He did nothing wrong. He can't stop what his mother decides to do. Unfortunately, he will have to take the punishment if his mother was doing anything to violate the rules, but again LeBron James is not the on in question. His mother's financial dealings are!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just stating what the director of the Ohio State Athletic Association has said to several newspapers in Ohio and ESPN. These are not my words. It doesn't matter that his mother made the purchase, if it was financed as it appears to have been, as a result of his "anticipated future earnings" as an athlete, it is a violation of the rules in Ohio. Again, I don't care, I'm just the messenger. The fact that his mother made the purchase doesn't seem to matter. It would be the same if it was his Uncle, or third cousin. Again, I don't care one way or another.

It does seem kind of strange that the family has hired one of the most expensive law firm in Ohio. Where is all of the money coming from? Lots of questions, very few answers... the investigation continues.

WPAINE, yes, you missed the "guy with the sandwish board." It would probably help if you actually READ my post instead of just assuming that I said everyone who doesn't go to college is an idiot. (We all know what happens when people assume.)

IF you had read my post, you would know that I never said that to have integrity you have to go to college. The whole basis for my post was to outline a few thoughts that I had about the Hummer H2, as well as explain my feelings regarding players bypassing college to go to the NBA. Granted, college is not for everyone, but I've found it to be a wonderful experience. I think the NBA should make players go to college for several reasons. It allows an individual to experience the "real world" while still living in a semi-controlled environment. This will, inevitably, increase the degree of maturity.

So, for whatever reason prompted your tangent, I suppose I apologize for offending you with the statements that I did not make.

How do you deny someone the opportunity of employment? If James wants to skip college and work for an NBA team, who can stop him?

The problem is the process that surrounds his decision. If he is as smart as some are posters are stating on these boards, then why has he put himself and his high school teammates under such scrutiny?

If he wishes to play as an amateur in high school sports, he has to play by the rules. I would be interested in seeing his senior year grades. This guy is trying to enjoy the fruits of a professional job while playing on a high school team. That is not smart.

Maybe he should do what other kids his age go -- get a part-time job and buy a car with his own money.

Stan, I know your post was directed at PAINE, but I would like to respond to your first question. I have no problem with him wanting to go pro, what I have a problem with is the NBA, and other professional associations recruiting kids right out of high school. I THINK WE ARE HEADING DOWN THE WRONG ROAD. We are placing way too much emphasis on athletics and not enough on education. At least with the system that is still in place with the NFL, kids are encouraged to at least try college before they "declare themselves eligible" for the draft. I do not fault the young man as much as I do the system.

TO EVERYONE: Most of you see no problem with his young man going out and earning millions by signing a contract with NIKE. You guys will say he is simply earning a living. When you put it like that it sounds very good, but you are missing the point that in years past, these companies didn't come after kids in high school. The problems is that these shoe companies are now throwing themselves at AAU kids and coaches across the country. Will you think it would be okay for a talented 8th grader to receive a contract for $500,000 because of his athletic ability and potential future earnings? Where does it stop?

I hope this young man is very successful. He has hired a law firm and accounting firm to handle his money. It sounds like he is getting some good advice from them. I agree with Stan; I think many of his problems of late could have been avoided if his mother had waited until after the final high school game to hand him the keys to the H2. Timing is everything.

One thing is for sure, high school athletics may never be the same again. Players in high school should spend more time working on their education. I know it sounds strange to hear a coach making these types of comments, but I do belive it is a delicate balancing game that we must follow to keep everything in proper perspective.

I think it is difficult for people to understand the relativity of numbers sometimes. Lebron could either:

1. Spend 4 years in college preparing to make $30,000 to $50,000 a year in a boring job like the rest of us.

2. Go immediately to the NBA and make $30 million to $50 million (inclusive of endorsements).

The difference is literally 1000x more money for choosing the NBA over college. Also, consider the 4 years of unpaid preparation. It's not a difficult decision.

I understand the quality of an education. I'm about to graduate with a 3.97 gpa in Computer Science. However, you would be absolutely insane to go through 4 years of college when you are making $30 million a year playing basketball. If someone did do that, hopefully they would take an Economics class with the great instructor I had and realize that they are wasting their time.

Also, I don't give a flip what other adults think. If they think that it is wrong to give $500,000 to kids that are too poor to buy shoes, then they have quite an interesting view point but I disagree with it. Perhaps they could use that $500,000 to go to college and improve their lives and increase their happiness rather than live off the taxpayers like the parents.

[Edited by jmourning on 1-19-03 12:43P]

I was just curious if you also think that it is wrong for Hollywood to use child actors like Jake Lloyd. Was it unethical for them to pay him millions to be in Star Wars? Was it unethical for Kirsten Dunst to be in Interview with the Vampire based on her acting skills? Or how about Drew Barrymore in ET? Anna Paquin in Hurly Burly?

Does that send the wrong message towards kids? All three of the latter are turning out to be successful people and seem to be wealthy and happy. I doubt any of them would spend 4 years going to college, why would they? Sure, there have been some child stars that have taken some wrong paths during their teen years, but there are a lot of good kids who make wrong decisions later in life. All things considered, I believe a kid will grow into a better adult if he (going back to the previous example) takes $500,000 rather than turns it down. There will be exceptions, but the general trend will be that they will be happier in my opinion.

[Edited by jmourning on 1-19-03 1:20P]

I have to give you a good mark for that one, jmourning... Hadn't thought about it in those terms...However, I don't think I have as much a problem with all that's going on with the money issue as much as I do with the flaunting of his actions, but particularly of the actions of his mother...