Where's the MORALITY?

Stokomo

Sorry ELA, but I smell a double standard here. I have been on both ends of this situation with players and coaches. If we as RESPONSIBLE coaches really want to develop morals, good character, and other aspects of integrity in our youth, it should begin with us. We must be GOOD examples if we really want these kids to develop these characteristics, regardless of how EFFECTIVE immoral coaching tactics might be!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with your assessment, but I also know that a young boy, or young man, should NEVER get in the face of his coach, even if the coach is dead wrong. Like I said before, coaches have done this for years and I spent too many years in the military to "talk back" to my superiors.

I do agree it may seem like a double standard and I hope I never act like that in a game, but the coach is hired to coach the team and it is not up to the players or parents to correct problems associated with what you said. That area of responsibility MUST go to the school principal. If he doesn't like what is going on, it is his job to ask the coach to "tone down the public rhetoric" in the game.

It's okay to let a player know when he is not performing, it seems the only thing in question here is how it was said and where. If you could go into a locker room between periods you would often hear language that would make a sailor blush.

[Edited by ELA on 1-19-03 2:23P]

Morality starts at HOME. Unfortunately, teachers and coaches become the first line of defense instead of the second or third.

We have a local town that sent home letters to ALL of the parents of the student athletes this year. The letter informed the parents about the reputation the schools has for bad behavior by the fans. This letter was drafted to try to combat and remove this behavior before the season began. Did it work? We are half way through the basketball season and I can safely say NO! It is an absolute embarrassement to sit at these games around all these idiots. The stuff that comes out of thier mouths is unbelievable. To make it worse, the children sit with them and are just as rowdy.

I respect your comments, However I feel being a former coach and working with youth for the past 23 years qualifies me to make this statement...... A coach that goes into the locker room or anywhere else for that matter and "uses language that would make a sailor blush", should expect no less from his players, parents and fans. I maintain at athletic contest this change in the immoral trend should begin with the coaches!!!!!

I agree with you, but I can't ever remember any player from 20 years ago "getting in a coach's face" about anything. Back then, almost all of the old school coaches cursed. It doesn't justify anything, it is just the way it was back then. Now it's just the opposite in most places. The players curse and the coaches don't. In a perfect world you wouldn't have this type of attitude. I'm not justifying what any coach does because I think they are responsible for their actions. I will always respect my former coaches and you already know how they acted back then