Where's the MORALITY?

Stokomo

I've been on this board now almost one year now. This is one of my favorite sites to get on. Through reading hundreds and maybe thousands of posts, one thing is missing, morality and common courtesy. In the past, teams had rivalries just like today's teams. Certain people cheered for their team and others cheered against them. A common conversation would include:

"My team is better than your team."

"Oh no they're not, my team is beter."

"We'll see about that tonight at the game."

"And when my team beats your team, I'll call you and let you know about!!!"

And after whoever's team won, they would call and say:

WINNER:"I told you so! We got you this time!!"

LOSER:"Well, we will win next time, wait and see!!!"

With all that said, in today's era, we have degraded honest trash talking to gossip chatter. A lot of posts on here now go for the "THROAT." A common post will read:

"I heard that so-and-so got his girlfreind pregnant."

"Well I heard that so-and-so got caught stealing."

"Another player for that TEAM got arrested for drinking."

"I can't believe that team's coach got caught cheating on his wife, at least that's what I heard."

And then at games, though I've not been to as many different games as in the past, I would here people chanting these and other explicit things to players and parents and coaches. I'm ashamed of it but when I played for D-B my senior year before basketball season, I got caught by police drinking one can of beer. The school had an automatic 2 week suspension. Just about every coach and player knew about it, but when the season started and throughout the season, not one opposing team, coach, or fan said anything about my mistake. They never chanted at me some of the things that are chanted today. And the past crowds had a lot more school spirit than today's average crowds. My point is that you can still be a rowdy fan without all of the BELITTLING trash talk. I don't know any of the moderators on here, but I can guess that all of them get tired of having to delete certain posts or moderate them. If we would only think about who will get hurt when the post is up, then I believe clean trash talking about teams and not about players can be enjoyed by all. ;)

[Edited by Stokomo on 1-16-03 11:51A]

Sorry for all the eidts but we have to be correct in our spelling ;)

[Edited by Stokomo on 1-16-03 11:53A]

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, I think some crowds get out of hand at games and that is rather unfortunate.

I think a few groups on this website love to brag about how good their school is, and because they are in such large numbers, no one usually says anything bad about it.

They are just words though, If things like that bother people, then they probably need to just ignore it.

Good post Stokomo.

Stokomo,

I definitely agree with you. It appears that we have less respect for each other as individuals. I realize we can get "caught up" in the "heat of the moment" of our rivalries, but I believe we just don't get how damaging some statements can be.

I was told that spreading gossip, rumors, derogatory comments about someon is like going to the top of a summit with a feather pillow, tearing open the pillow and letting all of the feathers go. Now later, when you realize you have nothing soft to rest your head on, you go about trying to gather up all the feathers. Well, of course you could never get them all back as they are being driven by the wind in all directions. Likewise, you can never take back your negative comments. Whatever audience reads your post may not read the correcting comments. Therefore, THINK before you post, speak, chat, etc.

Whatever happened to our mothers telling us..."If you don't have anything good to say then don't say anything at all." We all could stand to here those words and abide them more.

That's just the way I see it.

I wish that this thread was required reading for any high school fan attending games or logging on. I've said it in another thread: There is nothing wrong with cheering loud and long and boistrous for your team. There is plenty wrong with doing the same against another team or player. It's classless and demeaning.

Stokomo, I agree with everything you said. However I also believe the lack of morality is a vicious cycle. Coaches, players, referees, school officials as well as fans must display moral sportsmanship before, during and AFTER the contest. If this were to happen it would take a big chunk out of the cycle. You know what I mean, don't you? :o :confused:

[Edited by swish1 on 1-16-03 8:27P]

I am a big part of a really crazy student section at Soddy Daisy. And youve probably read about some of our rude comments. But our coach and players always thank me for giving the other team heck. Our team isnt the greatest but they need all the help they can get. They havent even won an away game this year. We know its not moral, but they just need someone to have their backs.

SWISH1....I totally agree with you. Every and any person has his/her own responsibilty to display morals to break the cycle. However...coaches and players seldom belittle others. If it does happen, and I believe it happens, they will not be around for long. DeepBall just helped me prove my point. He/she stated tht they knew it was not moral to chant whatever it is they chant, but still did it. What I'm talking about goes way, way, way beyond the realm of basketball and touches the very fabric of America. The common courtesy of everyday life has changed. Basketball is just a metaphor of life. But just as life has done, morals in basketball has lessened.

[Edited by Stokomo on 1-16-03 10:15P]