Stopping the WING-T?

ELA

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you ever seen two coaches with a blackboard draw up plays and defenses? The man with the chalk last always wins. There are hundreds of ways to defense the Wing T and hundreds of ways to counter those defenses. The bottom line in any defensive plan is preparation and execution. I do feel that it is easier for a team that runs the Wing to defend it. If you don't run it, then it is hard to simulate it in practice. I have found that confusing blocking schemes with slants and multiple alignments is effective. Regardless of your plan you have to tackle, pursue, and create turnovers to win.

Space Cowboy, you are right in both cases. Even though most Wing-T teams run some form of the FB Dive, Belly, Cross Buck, and Buck Sweep with a waggle pass thrown in for good luck, everyone does it a little differently. I think the most difficult thing to do is to teach a scout team how to execute the plays, so that your varsity defense can get a realistic look. You can line them up and run a half-line in drills, but your LB's are always going to get confused unless the drill enough to learn their key reads. There seems to be two different philosophies... you either sit on your heals and try to "read" keys OR "attack" with a variety of blitzes/dogs and multiple fronts. Much of this may be determined based on the strength of your D-Line.

Good post from ELA and Spacecowboy. I Agree with space that the last man with the chalk always wins. The key to stopping the wing t and any other offense has as much to do with execution of the game plan. How many times as coaches have you drilled a certain read or technique into the players head and at a key moment in the game he has a serious brain fart. Confusing the blocking scheme and great defensive line play is a key to stopping the Wing T and most other offenses. Control the line of scrimmage and you control the game. We run the wing t and do many different things out of it. We are looking at running some option in the future because we have a QB who is a great athlete and player. The wing t is hard to defend but we have more trouble defensing the veer than the wing t. It requires even more discipline from 16 and 17 year olds who are not very self disciplined but we love them just the same. ;)

I agree that the veer is harder to defend than the wing-T. Every wing-T team does different things with the offense. You have to decided what they do best and take that away whether it is the buck, belly, sally, jet, or power sweep. Usually, when you take away the bread and butter, the offense will struggle to find an identity.

Great practices, film study, Key reads, Line movements, taking away their best play and/or runner, sound in pass defense, and willing to take a chance ever now-and-then. These will help in defeating a wing-t offense, but the best way to stop the wing-t is to be better than the team running it. Better athletically, mentally, offensively, etc. This is evidenced by the number of teams in the State Championships that ran the wing-T, ONE-and they lost! (I wouldn't call D.L. a wing-T team; there's nothin Delewarish about their offense... that's a complement) Even The BLUE HENS of Deleware have scrapped most of the wing-T along with Gurus like Creehan that just believe in selling books and being invited on the lecture circuit to make dough of boobs that still believe it's their "philosophy" that's winning them games instead of their "Players."

If you have kept up with the evolution of the Wing, you will see that it is now a very modern offense. Alot of Wing T teams incorporate triple option, the jet series, shotgun, and some Run & Shoot passing. There are plenty of options for a team wishing to run it. That also makes it difficult to defend. What I like about it is blocking schemes. By using angles, it allows less talented linemen to compete. Just like any scheme, you have to mold it to your available talent and make sure that your players can execute it. P.S. Thanks for the good mark.

[Edited by SpaceCowboy on 1-22-03 1:58P]

Stopping the Wing-T has much to do with which part of the wing that the team you are playing is hanging it's hat on (sweep, trap, belly, down, option, etc.). Most teams have one play that they are going to try and run no matter what you do. You must stop that play and make them do something else. If a team can run it all good luck. I have had success running a multiple 5-3 scheme. I like to slant the front away from half back and/or to motion. I preach getting one yard penetration and slanting with our eyes open. Another thing one must teach a defense when defending the wing is what is coming out of certain formations. For instance if my Will linebacker sees the HB go away from him, he is immediately thinking counter and waggle. If you teach your skilled players to be smart football players the wing is easier to stop. I think it should be said that there is no gimmick that is going to stop the Wing-T, the only way you will stop it is with a sound scheme that doesn't very too much from what you normally run.

F

HB Q HB

TE T G C G T SE

SB SS DE DT DT DE WB

WCB

SCB MB

FS

SS-MAN TO MAN TE, JAM, NO RELEASE INSIDE.

DE'S- INSIDE EYE STAB AND GRAB NO RELEASE ALLOWED ON MB

DT'S- A GAPPERS PLAY HARD IF G'S PULL GET IN HIP AND REPLACE

SB- CRASH, DONT GET DOWN BLOCKED, IF HB GOES AWAY, THROOTLE DOWN PLAY WAGGLE TO COUNTER(SALLY)

WB- SAME AS SB

MB- READ FB

SCB- MAN ON HB

FS- MAN ON HB

WCB-MAN ON SE

STOPPED AS LOG AS SS, CB'S, FS PLAY HEADS UP AND DONT EVER LEAVE MAN, OR GET CAUGHT WATCHING THE PAINT DRY.