Miss Basketball Finalists Poll

ptguard

How about a poll at this point in the season to see how the votes are stacking up for Ms. Bball? Here are my picks for the 3 finalists in each class.

AAA

Angela Phillips--Oak Ridge

Ashey Johnson--Shelbyville

Krystle Horton--Riverdale

AA

Kendall Cavin--Martin Westview

Rebecca Rowsey--Chester Co.

Laura Hall--Oliver Springs

A

Abby Fanning--Moore Co.

Holly Wright--Celina

Veronica Pike--FRA

You may disagree with some of these choices, but don't dis them until you've seen them play, especially the point guards. Their stats may not be the greatest, but without their leadership skills, those teams would be mediocre at best. Comments?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ptguard: I think your class A finalists are some great girls. You are right about the leadership part. These teams rely heavily on these girls for more than just scoring. There may be a girl or two that could also be listed but these three are a great choices.

Guest eaglemgr

If you go by leadership then on the AA Miss Basketball finalist you should have Katrina Beechboard on that list. Also might consider Christen Cates her stats are not that much but she is sure a team leader on the floor.

I agree 100 percent with pt. guard. A. Phillips from Oak Ridge may not lead in most areas, esp. points scored, but she is one heck of a ball player.

Bottom line if a team does not have a true point guard to keep it all together, they usually do not go far.

A team that has a true talented point guard is very, very

lucky.

A- Fanning, Pike, and Wright (Fanning wins) possibly add in Snow from Clarkrange or Myers from Wayne Co.

AA-Beechboard, Cavin, and the girl from Jackson Co.(sorry can't remember her name) (Cavin wins)

AAA-Horton, then Shelbyville and Oak Ridge each have two possible candidates (Newman wins)

[Edited by supaballa on 1-30-03 12:25P]

You know it is kind of interesting that you would put Phillips at the top of your list, when she is not even the best player on her team. The only stats that she leads the team in is 3pt ATTEMPTS (Not Makes) and Turnovers. Holbrook, Frazier, Stewart, and Hendricks are all better than Phillips and they are on the same team. I would think that Ms. Basketball is coming out of Middle TN again this year!

Somehow, I can't help but believe that there are 2 girls on BEECH's team that are getting overlooked. Dana Carrigan and Kari Maddox. These are probably 2 of the best seniors in the STATE and they are on the same team. I can only imagine, what they could do individually if they were on different teams. Even by being on the same team they average around 15-17 a game.

Also, Maddox is one of the best rebounders in the State. Around 15-20 a game.

OneManGang you definitely sound like a jealous parent or relative. I may be wrong, but somehow I doubt it. Phillips should lead the team in turnovers; she handles it 95% of the time. You are correct in saying that OR has several good players, but I would like to see some of those other players handle the press and the tough defenses that AAA OR faces night in and night out. It's as simple as this. If you pick a player to pull out of their lineup, they suffer the most when Phillips is not on the floor. She makes those other players better, which is the best attribute a point guard can have. While Frazier is an outstanding player, I believe Phillips is the heart and soul of the team. Just an observation. Thanks for the comments.