Bench press

Justadad

The legitimate over-the-counter supplement world has certainly grown and there are many products out there which undoubtedly help make you stronger. In this statement, I include the various pro-hormones on the market (which SHOULD NOT be taken by high schoolers...PERIOD.). Now, you aren't going to make Herculean jumps in your bench press just by taking Cell-Tech and Myo-Blast. If you see a kid who has been benching around the same weight for a long time and suddenly his bench goes up 40 pounds, then you have a right to wonder and speculate. If a kid is consistently strong and his lifts grow steadily over time, odds are that he is just naturally strong.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

926, don't like the implications of what you are saying. I can assure you that the 16 year old at Sevier County isn't taking any "supplements" that you are referring to. This kid is genuinely strong and has been lifting since age 12. He is in the weight room every day and I'm talking weekends as well. I think a simple blood test would shut some of you up, but Josh certainly doesn't have anything to prove to anyone and certainly not to anyone running their mouth. How much do you bench????????? and what is the name of your supplements??????

If you look at how Josh is built and then look at the gym rats that are always pumped on steroids, you will see a remarkable difference. Josh is clean---enough said.

Josh is being looked at D1 schools in football but most are looking at him because of his athletic ability and his lifts are secondary. He is a great kid with a lot of heart and loves the game. He lifts as a hobby, nothing more.

I recall in my junior year of high school my principal, who was a regular at UT strength clinics, returned from Knoxville one weekend with this insane story about an eight grader who bench pressed something like 405lbs. I do believe that young man's name was Josh Ward. So I'd say he's been on a steady incline over the years due to a great work ethic. Besides, look at the caliber of competitions he enters in. You know they test thoroughly. The kid is just simply the real deal.

[Edited by boneal52 on 4-2-03 11:43A]

Jsmack, I guess where you play or played, you all block with your hands behind your back. If you have no punch in football, especially on the O-Line, then you can't get any movement. So, the heavier you can bench is definitely transfered to the same muscle group when you come off the ball and puch and drive. I promise you this, Josh hurt some people last year with that "does nothing for football" bench strength. Most people that claim others are "on something" are either jealous or absent minded. Allsports said it best about steroid users, about the way they look. I played with guys in college that tinkered with steroids, and they might have jumped up a little bit, but as soon as they got off, they might have been a total of 5 pounds heavier than they were prior to using. None of them, I promise you could even get close to 500 pounds on the bench. In Ward's case, he is a freak of nature. He repped out 225 pounds 23 times as a 13 year old-I watched him. He was a heavy set, chubby, shy kid then. His dad is our O-Line coach, he played college ball, and still looks like he can play. He has genetics and work ethic on his side.

I would love to watch Ward lift, because I would guess that his technique is flawless, identical to a punch off the ball. With his grip tight to his shoulders, elbows in and back tight. The only thing more accurate to simulate the punch is an incline bench press because of the angle, but I would venture a guess that Wards has a strong incline as well. Call it a hunch.

[Edited by boneal52 on 4-2-03 5:50P]

Guest smokybearfan

Thanks for all the comments both good and bad about Josh Ward from Sevier County High. We all know there is someone out there that can do a little better... don't we? No matter what the story.... everyone always has the bigger fish! It is really easy to brag and knock down others accomplishments especially when you are not the one benching the 573 lbs. Even though that may not be the first question on the college questionnaire it is still just as important as the other three, as well as your speed, etc. Hey what a concept˜ colleges are also interested in grade point average, SAT scores, you know little things like that. I don't know about your school but our coaches at Sevier County High put emphasis on the other lifts (power cleans, squats, etc.) as well as the bench. Sounds like we have a good strength coach. Not only do the coaches put emphasis on the weight training but they also put emphasis on the classroom and what it means to be a person of character. Isn't it amazing when someone that benches 573 is also doing well at the other lifts, not to mention can play football. I don't think a 600-LB squat and a 305-LB power clean is anything to make fun of. Would you call that a well-rounded athlete? Oh, I forget... we can't possibly give anyone credit for doing good and leave it at that without saying they are hitting the juice. Where do you think Josh's parents are...under a rock somewhere????? I don't know about other parents but Josh's parents do care about their son and put more emphasis on his health than his bench press. Remember that you are not only slamming the kid but the parents when you are stupid enough to say that the kid is hitting the juice. Again, we always have to have someone that is doing a little bit better and always has the bigger fish. It is really sad that we have come to the point that we can't be happy when someone does well. Even those of you that think the bench is not important you have to remember this kid has worked hard to bench the 573 lbs., squatted 600, and power cleaned of 305. All of this while he has played football and maintained a grade point average of 3.76. Yeah, you don't see a player on the field drop to the ground and bench someone over their head but you do see them using their upper body strength to tackle, as well as holding someone off. I guess for all you critics you will just say that is mind over matter. Whatever! Time will tell whether or not the bench press pays off. If Josh signs with some college you will know that all his weight lifting abilities, hard work in football, as well as his academics paid off. I agree with allsports1, Josh has nothing to prove. We are proud of Josh and all his accomplishments!