Most memorable match

wrestlingfan

The D1, 275 match was great. But I think the 215 match you described was even better. The winner really deserved it. two or three times.

What was the incident with the kid from Millington, at 275? On video, it sure looks like the clock ran our before Reed got away. Another example of a bad call? Or was the ref late with the whistile?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off CoachBray: you need to know alot more about the sport and the ones on the mat. You are very much incorrect about the referee on the mat. Wrong Jack it was referee Coover and assistant Faircloth!!!!!!!!

They called the match as they saw it.

No where in any wrestling rules does it say one man must shoot, sum wrestlers are offensive and others are counter wrestlers. If they are good counter wrestlers why not let the other guy shoot and do all the hard work and beat him at his own move.

PummelKing,

Im not sure how much you can tell about what CoachBray does or does not know by reading the last post. If he erred on a ref's name, thanks for the correction. And regarding 16 shots to 2, I believe CoachBray's point was that the wrestler taking all the shots should not be called for stalling. Many wrestlers win by waiting to counter, but this is often called stalling. In all positions, our sport demands that wrestlers constantly work to improve their positions. Holding on for an opponent does not qualify, is stalling, is a passive strategy antithetical to the nature of wrestling, and it does not make sense when the aggressive wrestler is penalized. How much more does one need to know about the sport to understand that?

Also, Millington call was single worst call of tournament. Even if hands were broken, which they weren't, it's not necessarily either loss of control or escape. I am not in the habit of lambasting referees, but that man either had teh worst day of anyone's life or is completely unsuited to officiate at the state level. He was equally bad at the state duals. Absolutely horrible, if he were a driver he'd need to retake his permit test.

[Edited by Empro on 2-21-03 11:33A]

The ref was picked by the state office so he must have been recognized as an outstanding official.

Besides the kid must have not been that good of a wrestler because I recall him loseing 3 matches in the same fashion, being on top and loseing control of the bottom wreslter in the tie breaker.

In regards to the wrestlers waiting on their opponent, no that is not passivity or stalling.

All officials should only use 3 words when talking to wrestlers: Action, Center and Open. These should never be followed by colors because that could be considered as coaching and refs. are not supposed to do that.

Guest cornpop

Yes it was won on the disk flip. Crossby won the flip and chose down, and preceded to score first with a stand up. Third Pennington chose down and stood up and scored second. Both can off the bottom in under ten seconds. There wasn't another score until the second tie-breaker. Where Crosby got to chose because he won the first disk flip.

Whoa - time out! Pummelking do you honestly think the guys in Chattanooga were chosen because the are the best in the state? Come on, be serious!

They may be the best AVAILABLE on those dates, but availability does not equal ability. Wrestling, as well as other sports, is stuck with officials who can afford to officiate. Unfortunate, but true!

Cornpop and KKW - it sounds like you both agree on the same think on two different threads - what to do in double OT. I think KKW has a close to a solution as could be possible in situations like this. This is in no way meant to take away from Crosby winning, he and Pennington are both excellent wrestlers, but as it said in the article in the Clarksville Leaf-chronicle, if Pennington had been able to choose down first, who is to say the result could have gone in a different direction? I think that in order to erase any question any doubt in anyone's mind, and to make the 2nd place winner feel like it wasn't just fate but skill, I would suggest implementing KKW's suggestion. Good idea.

PUMMELKING:

THIS WILL BE MY LAST POST ON THIS THREAD. YOU ATTACKED COACHBRAY BY QUESTIONING HIS KNOWLEDGE ABOUT WRESTLING. YOUR POSTS HAVE NO CLEAR POINT AND ARE MOSTLY NONSENSICAL.

The ref was picked by the state office so he must have been recognized as an outstanding official.

OBVIOUSLY YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THE SELECTION OF OFFICIALS IN THIS STATE. DO YOUR HOMEWORK BEFORE POSTING ERRONEOUS INFORMATION.

Besides the kid must have not been that good of a wrestler because I recall him loseing 3 matches in the same fashion, being on top and loseing control of the bottom wreslter in the tie breaker.

WHAT IS YOUR POINT HERE?

SEVERAL MISTAKES AGAIN. WOW, IF YOU ARE THE KNOWLEDGEABLE ONE, THE REST OF US MUST REALLY BE HURTING.

YOU CLAIM THAT YOU SAW BONHAM LOSE THREE RIDEOUT MATCHES. I FEEL LIKE A BROKEN RECORD. DO SOME HOMEWORK. BONHAM PLACED FIFTH. THAT MEANS HE ONLY LOST TWICE (ONCE TO EVANS AND ONCE TO FARRAGUT.) IT IS IMPOSSIBLE THAT YOU SAW HIM LOSE THREE MATCHES.

NEXT MISTAKE: "NOT THAT GOOD." FIRST, WHAT THE HECK IS YOUR POINT HERE? YOU STARTED OUT BY ARGUING THAT IT IS OK FOR A "COUNTER-WRESTLER TO LET HIS OPPONENT DO ALL THE HARD WORK AND THEN SCORE OFF HIS OPPONENT'S MISTAKE." NOW YOU'RE CLAIMING BONHAM ISN'T THAT GOOD? PLEASE EDUCATE ME ON THE CONNECTION BETWEEN THESE THOUGHTS.

REGARDLESS OF YOUR NONSENSICAL, INCOHERENT TRAIN OF THOUGHT, LET'S LOOK AT YOUR COMMENT. "NOT THAT GOOD." NUMBER ONE RANKED ALL YEAR AND RETURNING STATE RUNNER-UP. NUMBER ONE SEED IN THE STATE TOURNAMENT. HUH?

In regards to the wrestlers waiting on their opponent, no that is not passivity or stalling.

WRONG AGAIN. FOR SOMEONE WHO PRESUMES AND BOASTS OF KNOWING SO MUCH, YOU'RE NOT DOING SO HOT. ONCE AGAIN, DO YOUR HOMEWORK. START WITH READING THE RULE BOOK. WRESTLERS MUST CONSTANTLY WORK TO IMPROVE THEIR POSITIONS. IF WAITING IS NOT STALLING, THEN WHAT IS?

All officials should only use 3 words when talking to wrestlers: Action, Center and Open. These should never be followed by colors because that could be considered as coaching and refs. are not supposed to do that.

I AGREE WITH THIS, BUT AGAIN, WHAT DOES IT HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING IN THIS THREAD?

REVIEW SOME BASIC THOUGHT AND COMPOSITION STRATEGIES BEFORE YOU PRESENT YOURSELF AS SOMEONE WHO CAN TELL OTHERS THEY NEED TO LEARN A LOT MORE ABOUT WRESTLING.