NEW OT RULE

coachmasters

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Smokediver

From what I've read some of you think that the starting position in the tie breaker is determined by a flip of the disk. This is incorrect.

Position in the tiebreaker is determined by who scores the first points of the match. Whether it be an escape, takedown, technical violation, whatever.

The coin toss only takes place if no points are scored or if both wrestlers have scored points at the same time(ie, both wrestlers stalling, warned and awarded points at the same time.)

This gives the advantage to the wrestler who scores first.

Guest Smokediver

It makes no difference what period the points are scored in. Just first points scored.

The rule we have now has some draw backs just as our old system did (I have wrestled the full brunt of the old 2-2-2, 1-1-1 and had my match determined by criteria). I don't disagree with your suggestion at all but, there has to be something in place. No matter what it is there will always be someone who does not approve. The new system would have killed me personally, because I did not wrestle well on my feet. However the old system did.

When did I say it mattered what period the points were scored in? I only said that if there were no points scored in the 1st, then we would use the variation of the rule that I have suggested. I know that the rule now says the 1st point(s) scored, period. That is fine, but if none are scored in the first then the disc comes into play. I believe that we have tried to get away from the disc having a lot to do with the outcome and I believe that my suggestion would help.

Alright, so I am sure that I do not know as much as you seasoned veterans out there, but to say that it is NOT determined by the flip of a coin - I don't know. In a tournament match after which there are no points scored in the first period, doesn't the ref flip the disc and give choice to choose to red/green? Let's say red then gets to choose first (since the disc was flipped to his color), and red chooses down, he almost certainly will escape, thereby awarding him first points, ensuring him the choice if the match goes into double OT. Right? Maybe I don't know what I am talking about, but if you could clear that up for me I would appreciate it. That is where I am getting the notion that the match, such as described above, is decided by the flip of a coin (disc).

The problem with "starting in the neutral position" is that you can't be sure that points will ever be scored! The NCAA addresses the issue by disqualifying escapes (and penalty points) from counting as the first point--thus avoiding dependence on the original toss, but making a new toss much more likely. In freestyle and Greco-Roman, the clinch rule is used to achieve a similar purpose.

It should go to the way college does it and also tech falls.

In college it the first person who scores an offensive point that gets choice. No an escape is not an offensive point because the top guy can just cut the bottom man. It must be takedown near fall or penalty point.

Also with the tech fall the man must get near fall in order to get the full points for the tech it makes wrestlers be more sound and well rounded, not just takedown artist.