Shoe on other foot...

RealGoEagles

Seems to me then, you know nothing of the plight of the small rural schools in 1A and 2A, right? To compare your sons 5A-4A team to small, isolated, rural 1A teams does not work.

I agree, that if Maryville is open zoned they do have an advantage, slight as it maybe. But think about this. Most of the 1A private schools have a drawing pool the same size of a Maryville and they are still playing 1A. Although both might have an advantage, I think everyone can see which way the scales are tipping. The Maryville's advantage does not even compare.

One other thing, is Maryville dominating every sport they play in 4A? The privates are in 1A!!!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Softballer...

Name one private that is dominating in all sports.

the Privates COLLECTIVELY might dominate, but not one school is dominating...Ezell didn't even make it to the state championship in football, probably won't in basketball either. USJ didn't...AGAIN.

Maryville is dominating in football and basketball (only have lost 1 game this year to a TN school)...thats domination.

I don't buy that. Their enrollment is on par with 1A publics but not their drawing pool. They have all of Jackson to draw from. That is not to say that every kid in Jackson wants to attend a private school but theoretically they could. And I agree, Jackson is not near as bad as the privates in the Nashville metro area.

The numbers are relative. I think that once a private shows it is a contender and or wins a state championship their drawing power is increased. With what has been said on here that should not be the case because kids do not go to private schools for athletics!

You said it, this is not a head hunt for one particular private school. It is all of them collectively. They are the minority and they are winning the vast majority of the state championships. The public schools in all of 1A have more schools, more students, yet much few championships. Why? The talent pools drawn from are much different.

And since YOU brought it up again, Ezell dominates softball. And lo and behold the one year they don't win it all, guess who does? Another private school! And before we go any farther, I know, they work harder than everyone else, have better coaches, ect. ect. ect...

[Edited by imasoftballer on 2-27-03 9:29A]

softballer...I`m just piddling with numbers and using my own guesstimates and some actual numbers but here goes...

Madison County has 90,000 people. At least half the kids in this county are currently on school lunch program (fact)so you can eliminate 45,000 as a drawing base. These next I feel are conservative estimates. Kids not on school lunch programs but still too poor to afford to send all their kids to a private school...15,000. Kids who can afford a private school,but would never in a million years dream of sending any of their kids to one of those "snotty" private schools...10,000. Kids who couldn`t get in academically....maybe 3,000. That gets you down to around 17,000 people as a legitimate drawing base. Divide that by 3 private schools and you`re at less than 7,000 per school. I feel I have kept my estimates on the conservative side. But you can see my point. I feel a lot of people just automatically think that because a school like USJ is in a much larger city that they have all these people to draw from, when actually there are large factors of the population who for one reason or another would never step foot in a private school.

[Edited by VolunteerGeneral on 2-27-03 7:18P]

Ok, I understand. Here is my take. I believe there are 2-3 private schools in Jackson. There are over 15 in Metro Nashville alone. I don't think that schools in South Metro Nashville/North Brentwood, FRA, BA, MBA, Ezell, Lighthouse, CPA, Harding Academy, BGA, Father Ryan, Nashville Christian and David Lipscomb pull anyone from the North or East side of town. Tough to drive over an hour to get there during rush hour in the AM and PM. So I think it is tough to say that privates in Nashville have the whole city to pull from. Having been involved with CPA for the past 15 years it appears that most of the families and students live within about a ten mile radius. Inside that radius is BA, FRA, Father Ryan, BGA, Lighthouse, David Lipscomb and Nashville Christian. As VG stated, I don't think there are as many students to chose from as you might think.

Posted by robjim:

Ok, I understand. Here is my take. I believe there are 2-3 private schools in Jackson. There are over 15 in Metro Nashville alone. I don't think that schools in South Metro Nashville/North Brentwood, FRA, BA, MBA, Ezell, Lighthouse, CPA, Harding Academy, BGA, Father Ryan, Nashville Christian and David Lipscomb pull anyone from the North or East side of town. Tough to drive over an hour to get there during rush hour in the AM and PM. So I think it is tough to say that privates in Nashville have the whole city to pull from. Having been involved with CPA for the past 15 years it appears that most of the families and students live within about a ten mile radius. Inside that radius is BA, FRA, Father Ryan, BGA, Lighthouse, David Lipscomb and Nashville Christian. As VG stated, I don't think there are as many students to chose from as you might think.

no doubt! :o