Unaka and Cloudland "Round 3"

starman

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And there offffffff..... what a thread... this really something to read... everyone either "Braggin or Bashin" .

With this game on a neutal court , and IF the Refs do as good a job as they did last night, THIS WILL BE THE BEST game of the year. Both Teams pretty equal,Both have GREAT STANDOUTS , GREAT COACHES , AND THE FANS !!!!!!What a Game it will be !!!

MY opinion: Either team 3-5 points in the last minute.

but... I'm Pulling for MY RANGERS !!!!!! GO RANGERS !!!!

RollTide :

"if Chambers is able to carry the load and get a little help from some of the sophomores it should make things very interesting." WHATS UP WITH THIS STATMENT Rolltide??? Sounds like you think Rusty has carried this "TEAM" this year. I agree that he has been A "KEY PLAYER" for this "TEAM" . but "Carry" ? Oh.. and I will Add for Rusty.. I Think JustWatchin said he is the "Player of the Year" CONGRATS Rusty. !!! YOU EARNED IT !

I agree with the Sportswriter on the "Other Players" who haven't been mentioned. Arnold,Cline,Collins,Guess,McTurff,Holsclaw, (2) MEN DO NOT MAKE A TEAM !!!!!If not for these , where would the "Standouts" be Standing..... ALONE... I think . sorry , but I got side tracked. but if you haven't noticed in my other posts, I AM FOR "TEAM PLAY"

Have a Great Day !!!!

Yeah this one is going to be crazy. I am giving my self a good hour arrive before the game just so that i can get a good sit. If this game is anything like the last two meetings then it is going to be a great atmosphere for basketball. Throw in the Hampton, Eliz., and other schools fans with Unaka and Cloudland and you have a back in the day UNC/Duke matchup.

As for mis-matchs, i dont see any. The Jones kid played great against North Greene. He did a good job cleaning up the rebounds for put backs. So Cloudland better make sure they know how to put a body on him. As for the STANDOUT player for Unaka...i think giving the chance any of those kids could step up and be a real Role player. For now Rusty is doing a great job though. Sometimes he seems to put to much pressure on his self to score and step up but he is doing a fine job of leading the Rangers.

As for Cloudland, they are very dept in talent. If Robbie goes out then Aarron Stocton or Zac Cook steps up. And if Johnson or Gouge get in trouble then you always have Graig Cooke that can step in and play some big minutes for you. But if Mark Bryd plays the way he did against UH then that will be the changing point of the game. From watching Bryd it seems like he always steps it up come tourny time. And that is just what the Landers will need come Friday.

As for "THE COACH OF THE YEAR" last year, u know he did his research and will be ready mentally and physical for the RANGERS. If anyone could lead the Landers to a District Title it would be that man. Great coach and great friend. Good luck smith. GO AND GET THEM.

Always good luck to both ball teams. I hope to seem a good clean nail bitting game Friday night.

Unaka has Hunter, Unaka, and Keenburg (and sometimes Hampton) Its clearly evident in the population of your school as compared to Cloudland, but thats an entirely legal situation- I was just stating the obvious. As for kids that didn't go to the Cloudland Elementary...there is one kid who came across the border that dresses and one kid that should go to Hampton (but you have one to) I mean what I said is not that big of a deal, but to deny it would ignorant...I wasn't trying to gain any ground or put anybody down or anything, just stating the facts.

And the fact of the matter is that Unaka probably wouldn't win without Rusty, like it or not. You can candy coat and say we all hold hands and are equal parts, but thats just not the nature of life. While Unaka has alot of quality athletes, he's the glue if nothing else. And, yes, he does show up on most nights and thats why he is the glue. Just think about if you take away Dugger from the teams of 3 years prior to this one, you probably wouldn't be able to do that lovely little "6 in a Row" chant you all love so much (and heck I don't blame, I think its kind of a catchy little diddy). Just the truth of the matter. Heck, Cloudland probably wouldn't win as many without Byrd- everyone has a role, and some people have to be leaders on the court, without leaders, well your never going to get anywhere but where you started.

And, hey, I am not trying to get any animosity started on Stoney Creek. I am just stating the facts the way that I see them. I mean if you are afraid that success is going to go to a kids head and you have to requite anything other than "TEAM" then thats fine to, but I think the kid in question is big enough to not let that happen anyway, after all that is why he is a leader. I firmly believe in "TEAM" ball but somebody has to grab the bull by the horns and take the lead on offense or defense or be really disciplined passers (and I am talking 'Hoosiers' swing it around the picket=fence, don't let the paint dry good passing)

Diggs- I hope you was referring to the refereeing of the Unaka/ North Greene game because the Cloudland/UH game was horrid. I mean Tolley was fouled out before the game started. They would have blown a whistle if he breathed hard on Bradley, but the bad part is that Bradley got away with worse. It almost seemed that the refs wanted a Unaka/UH matchup, but the second half they seemed to officate better (still nowhere near good) I wonder the question WHY ARE WE PAYING THESE GUYS SO MUCH? (for as much as they are getting paid we should at least put them in a 'dunking booth' and all take a shot of soaking them- at least they would be doing some kind of job)- and who is paying the salary of the guy that is over the officials, I could do as good of job as he does evaluating setting at the house watching reruns of the Honeymooners. But officiating has always been terrible and rarely impacts the outcomes of games, probably always will be.

'Tdog, I would be more than happy to talk to you after the game if you know who I am come up and say hey, but I probably want make it over to that side, but I will meet you somewhere around centercourt or our good buddy Blaize. But what do I call you by the name your momma give you or 'Tdog :D

Gladly and Finally, I think Cloudland has finally shook the curse of the 'little man'. Name him whatever you want Waldo or Yoda, but he was a bad sign for the Landers for along time, I think things have changed though. I get a good chuckle ever now and then though. I saw him chucking snowballs and other Ranger fans during halftime the other night, heck, you got to love that. If I was 4 feet tall I would probably chuck snowballs at Ranger fans to. :x

I guess Hablo has sold his computer to go on the chase of the vanishing Twinetickler, he is probably scoping out clues around Watauga Lake right now, as soon as you solve this weeks mystery come on back, pull you up a chair, and keep company with us...

[Edited by rolltideroll on 2-27-03 4:58A]

The fact that you were up venting at 4 AM tells me that maybe some of us have been a bit overbearing. I really love Unaka (notice my nick includes my own name, and that of my school). I also have lifetime friends in the Roan Mountain/Cloudland community, and recently I've received much criticism for maybe being a bit too proud of the accomplishments of your Mighty Highlanders. You should be very proud, as believe it or not, many of us here on the other end of the county are proud of your sports, and often overlooked, your academic achievements...Ashley Stockton, Takia Hughes, to name only a couple.

We all know that Rusty could've gone to Hampton or Elizabethton. Unaka also occasionally gets a student/ athlete from Keenburg. But, did you forget Range? Probably Unaka's best athlete is freshman, Charles Guinn. He's a probable All State free safety. It was Charles {#1}who ran Mark Byrd down a couple times last season).

But it strikes me a bit odd that you (and many others) seem totally unaware of the one's that did NOT attend their local community school on the Creek. Several of those with options chose the Cyclones. Two of this season's top pitchers at Elizabethton are among those within earshot of Unaka. One of thier All-Conference linemen/linebackers lives "up the Creek." We have teachers teaching in the County School System who's children chose the City Schools. In fact, one of them (and a personal family friend) has sons attending both Unaka and EHS.

But we aren't complaining. We're just a bit sensitive to those who spew their venom to insinuate that we win every battle, totally ingorant of those who get away. Can you say, Charles Peters?

The point here is that we lose far more than we gain through our "feeder system;" and this phenomenon goes way back to the best football team EHS ever had (1972).

So, again my apologies for referring to your "out-of-state- connection." But those who would infer that our "multi-school association" is ONLY a positive are obviously unaware that we certainly lose many more than we gain in the exchange; and in fact, if Unaka ever does manage to get the vast majority to stay on the Creek, the local athletic landscape, specifically in football, would take a drastic change of direction. For that matter, you, sir, would probably be shocked to learn of two amazing, name-brand football coaches who've sought the head coaching job at Unaka within the past four seasons. (Talk to your insiders at Cloudland for details). Oh, and you do recall Hampton's All Stater, Alice Peters, of Stoney Creek, don'tchya, sir?

OH, and there's a basketball game Friday night; and if Cloudland should win the District Championship, their achievement in the context of a "true rivalry" should be viewed only as a positive. For what it's worth the Landers have more depth this year. This is HUGE in such a game. It's much more than the Rusty vs Byrd show.

Krich you made some very valid points. The reason I was venting at 5 AM is that I am running on a schedule that allows me only about 5 hours asleep at night and I got to sneak the ol' Coach T in either going to or coming from but I manage to do it well, after all it is addictive.

Yes, I did forget Range. About once every 4 years or so a phenomenal athlete comes from that school. Yes, I am aware that you lose alot to Elizabethton. You probably still have alot more athletes in your halls that aren't playing any sports than up here in Roan Mtn. Athletic programs here have to utilize almost every kid that has any type athletic tendency at all to be effective.

I would have to believe that it would be a cold day in Stoney Creek before many Cloudland football coaches would reconsider locating on down near creekside. A few years back a tremendous coach from Cloudland made the venture to Stoney Creek to coach football, and he was on the verge of turning things around, but unfortunately for the Rangers bigger and better came along and maybe not enough interest was pumped into the program. Basketball is the major investment at Unaka (unlike Cloudland) it would take a major change to get the support in the football program- trust me, it is felt in the complete opposite context at this end of the county (and maybe rightfully so) Sometimes I guess you got to stick with the one that brought you to the dance.

Tide, your points were well taken; and yes, I must admit the Unaka hallway swarms with those that, for any number of reasons, choose to not participate in sports. But, just as it is with the transfers to the city schools, we'll, as you so eloquently put it, dance with the gal that brung us, and carry on without complaint.

Incidentally, the Cloudland coach you mentioned, Todd Barnett chose to move into the Johnson City school system; and it appears that he'll be very successful there. I personally consider him a friend; a man that treated me first class the short time I spent on the sidelines with him. In fact, Todd and his brothers, Mark and Alan have been major contributors to the Highlander program since the late seventies - early eighties. A class act, indeed. But again, why someone chooses to go where, and when, is certainly up to them. The pay is often of huge consideration when one is attempting to raise three children on Carter County teacher's pay.

Incidentally, the numbers are somewhat up for Acie Ensor's football program this season; but the big question for them is: have they been beaten up so badly, and for so long (2 victories in the past 2 seasons) that they might lose a couple games that they should otherwise win, while learning what winning is all about on the Ranger gridiron?

Oh, and that thing with the Lander Ladies cheering for the Huskies against the Lady Rangers... So what. Just because several dozen of us Ranger fans traveled to Murfreesboro to cheer the Lander footballers, and that we supported the Lady Landers in their sub-state appearence last spring doesn't in and of itself cause one to expect that there's a new found harmony between these two Carter County rivals. In fact, it would be so nice to see the Lady Rangers play to their potential, and lose the all too prevalent intimidation when they see Blue and Gold.

For Rusty's sake their never were a choice. He has wanted to go to Unaka since he was in the 6th grade. We lived on the creek before moving to town. The school, teachers, and coaches have been nothing but wonderful toward him. He has made many friends and loves the maroon. He was allowed to go to the school he wanted. I think he made a very good choice.

Please lets focus on the game Friday night and less on Rusty. He has 12 other great kids playing around him.

Best of luck to all the "RANGERS"