HARRIMAN / ONEIDA

oneidafan

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I WILL SAY THAT SUNBRIGHT, WARTBURG, AND ONEIDA PLAYERS SAW IT BEFORE IT WAS TAKEN DOWN AND THE OTHER STATEBOUND SIGN RAN THRU. DON'T KNOW WHAT MOTIVATION IT WILL PROVIDE, BUT IT WAS SEEN AND TALKED ABOUT. HARRIMAN WILL HAVE TO PLAY AT LEAST ONE, POSSIBLY TWO GAMES AGAINST THOSE TEAMS TO GET TO THE SUBSTATE. DATE WISE THE STATE IS CLOSE, BUT GAME WISE IT IS STILL SOME TIME OFF. BUT THEN AGAIN HARRIMAN MAY NOT CARE, BECAUSE THEY ARE STILL THE CLASS OF THE DIST. AND REGION.

I doubt that Harriman's coaches or players had anything to do with the sign. I imagine that was all the cheerleaders doing.

As far as the game, Oneida's pressure defense gave Harriman problems late at Harriman in their last meeting and if they play like that they can win. Harriman, however, dominated the paint inside in the last game, but missed a lot of easy baskets from in close. The Lady Devils could have easily been up by 20+ and Oneida's late run would not have mattered.

If Harriman dominates the paint again and handles Oneida's pressure then they should win by double digits, but the Lady Devils had better have things wrapped up late or Oneida will get the win. Oneida needs to shoot well and play hard from start-to-finish to get the win.

As far as Substate possiblities, I'd say look for Cloudland, Unaka or Hancock County to represent Region 1.

[Edited by goosevol on 2-27-03 12:25P]

Goose, somebody said they thought they saw you putting up that sign for Harriman. ;) On a more serious note, Oneida players know they can beat Harriman, and that is half the battle. I believe if Harriman shoots the ball as wellas they did against Sunbright the oher night, they should win, but you never know. I will take Harriman by 10.

I was there also and must say that it was a little "premature" to be posting the banner as did the basketball players from OHS. No one expected the Lady Indians to be where they are today. You never know. Hats off the the Lady Dawgs because they played their hearts out. Playing them in a "close" game the other night was hardly a lucky thing it was a victory. Wartburg has improved greatly.

I also think the Lady Devils didn't want to play OHS since their players were in the stands yelling for Creech to miss her free throws. Coach Cordell didn't look too excited himself. Well.......you never know. Good luck to both teams.

You have to give credit to the Lady Devils for the great season that they have had. But you also have to give credit to the Lady Indians, because most all of the district did not think that Oneida would make it this far since they lost 3 seniors last year 2 which have gone to get a lot of playing time as college freshmen. The biggest thing that seperates the 2 teams is Oneida seems to handle the pressure better toward the end of games and they don't have to rely so much on one player. I feel that the Lady Devils will make it as far as April Little can carry them.

Oneida wins, but in a close game.

Guest bludevilscheer

Yeah, so what about the sign? The Cheerleaders put it up b/c we are proud of our team and hope they continue to do well. Don't get all mad about it just b/c we want to support our team!! See ya at state boys!

I agree that it is a good thing to support your team but you also have to remember that if you get to cocky that it usually bites you in the butt. You guys need to worry about the next game instead of worrying about getting to state. I have heard the same stuff over and over about how good you guys are and how you were in the top 5 but come tourney time that don't matter, you have to come ready to play every night, or somebody can ruin your plans. I doubt this is the last time Oneida and Harriman play, there might be another rematch in the regions. Advice to Harriman is to take it one game at a time, and don't let your cheerleaders do your talking.

Well I know the coaches from Harriman didn't like the sign. You never want to give the opposition another reason to want to win and that sign is a slap in the face to the other teams in the district. I don't think Harriman relies as much on Little as people think. She averages only 12-13 points a game, but she definitely turned her game up a notch at the end. She is their go-to player, but Hedgecoth has scored 20+ a few times this year. The Pollitts, Swymer, Webb and Fuqua have also had some double figure games.

Remember against Sunbright Little had just 9 points heading into the fourth quarter and the Lady Devils were in complete control.

[Edited by goosevol on 2-27-03 10:58P]